Cat behaving different after vaccine

kittywhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens both got shots for rabies, felv and distemper the other day. I know that it is normal to be tired and have less appetite afterwards but one of my kittens is acting very different. He was always super chill and relaxed when I pick him up and never minded being picked up at all. You could hold him against you and he would settle in and purr. He also is a kitten I rarely hear meow at all. He chirps and chitters but a meow is rare. Now when I pick him up he starts meowing, squirming, moving his paws in an aggressive way. The vaccine place had curbside pickup so I could not go in with him. I hope it is more feeling sore and tired and will go back to normal but I worry it is trauma and will just be how he is now. He used to cuddle a lot until we got another kitten and he just stopped from then on even after becoming besties with the new kitten and accepting him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now, just keep an eye on him. I am not sure of the difference (if any) between the vaccine place and your vet, but just report the affects so they are on record and ask them to make a note of the vaccine 'brands' that were used, so they might be able to use another one in the future. It will also help with you documenting additional changes if you should see them - but I hope you don't!!

A lot of folks also spread out the vaccines so that they are not all given at once - another thing to consider.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He may just be feeling a little anxiety from his vet visit. Going into a strange place with strange smells plus injections certainly can be scary. Some just take longer than others to get over it. But if that is the case he should bounce back within a couple days. I would hold off trying to pick him up and let him come to you when he is ready. Try laying on the floor with him and he may feel more relaxed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittywhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it was anxiety. He is back to normal now. I gave him treats after he stayed still while holding him and after a few times of that he was fine with being picked up again. I do have stickers with the vaccine info and I think next time I will go to the vet they had the appointment at rather the the SPCA so I can go in with them to see if that helps.