cat became distressed tonite,

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you see mom nursing the kittens a few times a day? They are underweight for 4 weeks old. They should weigh about one pound, so they clearly are not getting enough food from mom.

Can you get a can of evaporated milk and mix it with an egg yolk, a sprinkle of sugar and a sprinkle of salt?

This mixture can be syringe fed to the kittens several times a day if you cannot afford a $10 can of powdered PetAg kitten formula from Walmart.

Usually the kittens will take it well once they realize it’s good stuff.

I’m so sorry you are having a tough time, and that you lost a kitten today and another is fading. See if you can get some nutrition into this kitten asap. Kittens cannot have cow’s milk because they cannot digest lactose.

I hope you’ll be able to supplement all the kittens so they do not get weaker.

Keep us posted! G gerard jones
Thank you, that helps a lot.
I'm in northern rural maine with only 1 store local, they don't have anything, Walmart is 30 miles away, I usually just use amazon.
I'm sure the local store has evap milk and egg yolk sounds like good protein.
Mum seemed to be feeding the other 3, she only gave up on the weak one, nature is cruel.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live next door to a farmer, after describing whats happening he said she ain't feedin them or she can't make enough milk because she's on the young side herself.
I expected to find at least 1 dead kitten this morning but they all made it, I saw the weakest one feeding with mum and she perked up later on. a different kitten is very weak now, I fed her some evap milk with yolk mix, now she's sleeping.
I'll feed her again in a while, she was very weak in my hand, I kept putting a few drops on her lip and she was swallowing it so I know she got some. I'm aware yolk is very rich in nutrients, I'm a retired baker.

I'm curious about the cows milk problem, yet they can take evap milk.
IS it because straight milk is lactic acid, whereas scalded milk converts to lactose, a simple sugar more easily tolerated, just curious.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think it is that the evaporated milk is processed differently. I’m glad they are taking it. Adding the sprinkle of salt and sugar adds needed
electrolytes.

You can also syringe drops into the side of the kitten’s mouth, let them swallow, then give another drop, and so on. Once a kitten gets used to it, they will often latch on to the end of the syringe and suckle the whole thing down. Feed on their tummies, never the back.

I hope they continue to thrive and gain weight!

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of them was lying on its side whimpering for help, tried to feed it but it died right in my hands, it weighed 9.2 oz.

the others are doing ok, the one I thought was going to die bounced back after the sugar water and feeding with mum,
it also only weighs 9.2 but I can feel it isn't weak, they all lapped the milk when I put it to their lip.
I weighed them all and wrote it down, have to keep closer track of their weight from now on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry you’ve lost another one. Can you try to syringe each remaining kitten 2-3 times a day to supplement what they get from mom?

How much do the remaining kittens weigh?

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you’ve lost another one. Can you try to syringe each remaining kitten 2-3 times a day to supplement what they get from mom?

How much do the remaining kittens weigh?
3 kittens left now.
9.2 oz
9.8 oz
10.2 oz

Its a struggle getting them to take it, I do put on the mouth and it wicks in, I see them swallowing it but they put up a racket,
mum loves the stuff....she tries to steal it from the kittens lips.I think I have to lock mum away when doing this, its comical.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama seems to be concerned about what is going on with her baby!

You can give mom a little of her own in a dish. She needs the calcium for nursing too.

Also, keep it covered in the fridge when not in use, and warm it a little before using.

Mom and that kitten look healthy, and as long as mom gets plenty of cat food and nurses her babies, they should catch up eventually and be healthy.

In another week or two the kittens will be ready to try soft food - either pate style or kibble moistened with the evaporated milk.

Keep up the nice job looking after them! :lovecat2:

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama seems to be concerned about what is going on with her baby!

You can give mom a little of her own in a dish. She needs the calcium for nursing too.

Also, keep it covered in the fridge when not in use, and warm it a little before using.

Mom and that kitten look healthy, and as long as mom gets plenty of cat food and nurses her babies, they should catch up eventually and be healthy.

In another week or two the kittens will be ready to try soft food - either pate style or kibble moistened with the evaporated milk.

Keep up the nice job looking after them! :lovecat2:
Their weights are slightly down this morning, is it normal to go down overnite.
Smallest kitten was 9.2 oz yesterday, but dropped to 8.9 oz today at 8am.
I fed it and it now weighs 9.0 oz.
Maybe they drop weight when they urinate?

I gave mum 1/8 cup of the formula, she lapped it up.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long does Amazon take to deliver to you? I would still order some KMR ASAP to get more supplementation.
Does your farmer neighbor have goats? Goat milk is a common KMR substitute, although it should probably be pasteurized before feeding to kittens. If you can get any from the neighbor that would be good.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the sick kittens start to refuse food, then they die.
Another one is on its last legs tonite. Just laying on its side. It was the healthiest this morning.
I'll go to walmart sunday ,see if they have anything.
Mum cat moved all the kittens again into the living room,
I try to feed them, theres nothing else I can do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get a bottle of unflavored pedialyte at Walmart and start to syringe it into their mouths several times a day. It sounds like they need the electrolytes.

Try to give the dying kitten some sugar water.

I’m so sorry this is happening.

G gerard jones

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get a bottle of unflavored pedialyte at Walmart and start to syringe it into their mouths several times a day. It sounds like they need the electrolytes.

Try to give the dying kitten some sugar water.

I’m so sorry this is happening.

G gerard jones
OK, I just gave it some warm sugar water at 2:30 am , I'll give it some more in 3 hrs or so.
its back with the other 2 in a warm place.
She was crying out but is quiet now, maybe sleeping.
She's panting compare to the other 2.
IS it possible they have worms from the fleas?

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It died, thought it would.
i'm beginning to think mum isn't producing any milk, when I put a kitten on a nipple it doesn't pay any attention to it, theres probably nothing there. She was doing fine at first but now nothing for the kittens.
She eats 2 cans wet food and drinks water....although her appetite seems to be reducing now.
I tried squeezing her nipples, nothing comes out, they're starving.

I'm going to Tractor Supply this morning with a list,
I gave them both some evap formula to tide them over for now and I'll feed them again before I go out, they don't like it.
Heres my list so far.
Kitten formula
syringe
calcium supplement for mum
Pedialyte
Flea treatment
more cat food.

I just tried a small hand vacuum pump on mums nipple, there is no milk at all.
It definitely develops suction (sous vide vac pump).
I tried 3 nipples, nothing. The others all feel the same. Doesn't feel like theres any milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I believe you are right ... they are starving! Poor babies! You can also pick up a kitten bottle. They may take to it better than the syringe, but try both.

Mix the powdered kitten formula with the pedialyte instead of water for now.

The kittens may also have flea anemia if they are covered in fleas. This results in iron deficiency. Killing the fleas and improving their diets will help.

Sad that mom’s milk dried up so soon. Kittens must be fed every couple of hours initially; then you can stretch it to every 3-4 hours. I say this because they are starving and behind, but also because if overfed they may vomit, so smaller portions more often initially, but eventually as much as they want since they desperately need nutrition and to grow.

Please update later!

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the formula, no pedialyte at either place.
Got a bottle with various rubber tips.

Also found some advantage11 at walmart.

Talked to the farmer at 5am before he took to the fields, he simply said she had kittens when she was too young to support them ,
he mentioned his cows are the same sometimes. When I place the kittens on her nipples they act disinterested, probably no milky odor to attract them.

I mixed up 1 measure cup (from the can) of mix with 2 of warm water, they took about half of it between them, its not much but they nodded off, I set my alarm for 1 hour and they can have the rest unless they start crying before 1 hr.
Then I'll switch to 2 hrs

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear this. What a shame. RIP babies :angel: You were loved and your dad tried his best!

They literally starved to death and their systems shut down. It’s why it’s important to weigh daily to get ahead when kittens begin to falter. You had no experience, and it’s never easy to feed tiny kittens around the clock. It’s exhausting.

I hope you’ll get mama kitty spayed soon and keep her inside in the meantime so there are no more babies. Is she okay with her kittens gone or is she looking for them?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that they lost the battle. How is mama kitty doing? Some cats grieve a lot and she was a very good mama kitty. If the farmer has a milch cow, you could ask for a small bit of raw milk (raw goat milk is even better) to rebuild her strength.
Any chance of getting her spayed? To circumvent any hassle with SS, you can ask your vet office if they accept Paypal or else provide the vet's information and they can let you know when the goal has been reached.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear this. What a shame. RIP babies :angel: You were loved and your dad tried his best!

They literally starved to death and their systems shut down. It’s why it’s important to weigh daily to get ahead when kittens begin to falter. You had no experience, and it’s never easy to feed tiny kittens around the clock. It’s exhausting.

I hope you’ll get mama kitty spayed soon and keep her inside in the meantime so there are no more babies. Is she okay with her kittens gone or is she looking for them?
I'm not squeamish, if I saw someone get their legs blown off it wouldn't upset me but this was devastating.
Kitty has been making me open all the doors so she can search everywhere.
She came and slept with me last nite, first time in 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.