cat became distressed tonite,

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she had 5 kittens a few days ago, she leaves them for a few minutes to come say hello.
She started acting like someone was pinching her side, meowing and biting her side.
Then when it stopped she is normal, it happened several times, reminded me of my kidney stones.
I'm wondering is she still has unborn kittens binding up, she still looks a bit chubby but I wouldn't know.
she's eating normal etc. Kittens all seem ok.
She went right back to purring with her kittens, I video'd her, I was too late to catch her howling.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! She is a beautiful cat and those are good-sized newborns. I think your instincts might be right - she could still have babies inside. A vet visit is a great idea although cats can deliver at different times because, like dogs, they ovulate after breeding so conception can happen days apart and from different sires. I hope that Sarthur2 Sarthur2 and StefanZ StefanZ weigh in soon!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope its the afterpains. These are quite common, and sometimes more prominent than with most.

But playing it safe, a vet check up is in order. Do you have access to any decent vet? Begin with phoning and asking advice, because you dont want transportation in there unnecesserarilyy... Both cumbersome, and adds some extra infection risks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is concerning! If she had kittens several days ago, it may not be afterpains. Those usually come the first day or two after giving birth.

Best to get her vet checked in case she has a piece of retained placenta or other material as it could indicate an infection brewing in her uterus. An ultrasound would reveal what is going on. She may need an antibiotic.

Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem didn't happen again, she's been fine ever since, except I find she has fleas.
I got a flea comb and remove an occasional one or two, doesn't seem like a big infestation, I noticed she moved the kittens from the bed to a corner of the room, I suspect to escape fleas on the comforter.
What else can I use besides the flea comb, kittens are only 1 week old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to put a tube of Advantage II on the back of mom’s neck between her shoulder blades. It’s available at pet stores or from your vet. Do not use any Hartz products!

Also vacuum floors regularly and wash all bedding to get rid of flea eggs and larvae. Keep this up for 2-3 weeks and fleas should die out.

Glad she’s better! Thanks for the update!

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’ll need to put a tube of Advantage II on the back of mom’s neck between her shoulder blades. It’s available at pet stores or from your vet. Do not use any Hartz products!

Also vacuum floors regularly and wash all bedding to get rid of flea eggs and larvae. Keep this up for 2-3 weeks and fleas should die out.

Glad she’s better! Thanks for the update!
Ahh ok, this is safe with her kittens?,
but what about the kittens , they must have the fleas too.
I can order advantage 2 from amazon, I have Prime for free shipping. $26.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You cannot treat the kittens yet, they are much too young. You CAN gently flea comb them.

Putting Advantage II on mom will actually help the kittens because they are in the nest together. Do change the bedding in the nest every other day to get rid of flea eggs and larvae. When the kittens are 5-6 weeks old they can have Advantage II for Kittens.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You cannot treat the kittens yet, they are much too young. You CAN gently flea comb them.

Putting Advantage II on mom will actually help the kittens because they are in the nest together. Do change the bedding in the nest every other day to get rid of flea eggs and larvae. When the kittens are 5-6 weeks old they can have Advantage II for Kittens.
Ok thanks. I'm on it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they are a little older, and its time for deworming, use some suitable all round dewormer, whom takes both round worms and tape worms.
Round worms they often get from momma. Fleas are inbetween hosts for tape worms.

IF they were heavily flea infested, its possible to bathe them with a few drops of dawn soap. But it has its risks to bathe such small kittens,, so we dont recommend this as a standard routine.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 2 weeks old now, eyes are open , they kinda wobble around but don't wander off.

She moved them off the bed into a corner of the room, it's a short pile rug floor.
Then, after several days she moved them to the opposite corner, she might be reacting to fleas.
I started combing her to keep the fleas in check for now and I'll see if she moves them again.

She's never heard a vacuum run, I'm pretty certain she'll go nuts and hide the kittens, I might put the kittens in a pet carrier and move them out of the room so I can vacuum the floor.
All in all , she knows far better than I do how to take care of them, I'm just following along trying to assist.
My social security payment comes tomorrow, I'll be able to order the advantage II for her.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 2 weeks old now, eyes are open , they kinda wobble around but don't wander off.

She moved them off the bed into a corner of the room, it's a short pile rug floor.
Then, after several days she moved them to the opposite corner, she might be reacting to fleas.
I started combing her to keep the fleas in check for now and I'll see if she moves them again.

She's never heard a vacuum run, I'm pretty certain she'll go nuts and hide the kittens, I might put the kittens in a pet carrier and move them out of the room so I can vacuum the floor.
All in all , she knows far better than I do how to take care of them, I'm just following along trying to assist.
My social security payment comes tomorrow, I'll be able to order the advantage II for her.
Just over 3 weeks now, the fleas are driving me nuts, I'm allergic to bites and break out in severe rashes on my arms.
I'm keeping the tribe isolated in one room but I get bit when I comb the cat.
20210728_103014.jpg
20210728_103014.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Cortisone cream should help that rash.

Have you been able to put Advantage II on your cats?

Flea spray for carpets and upholstery (Zodiac, Adams) sprayed around the edges of rooms will help with fleas, eggs, and larvae.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! Cortisone cream should help that rash.

Have you been able to put Advantage II on your cats?

Flea spray for carpets and upholstery (Zodiac, Adams) sprayed around the edges of rooms will help with fleas, eggs, and larvae.
Waiting for the advantage II from amazon.
Neighbor just gave me some benadryl, it might help my rash.
I didn't think the spray was safe around kittens, is it?

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, kittens should be out of the room until it dries completely. Benadryl should help your rash!
OK, I'll get some spray today.
I moved the kittens out of the room for now and gave each one a bath, lots of fleas, mum was nervous, lots of howling from displeased kittens, dried them and blow dried with warm hairdryer.
I vacc'd the room out , I'll spray and leave it until it dries, mum wants to move them back she's going to have to wait a while.

The benadryl is helping a lot already.

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
one kitten died earlier today , looked like it was sleeping, it seemed a bit weak. Gums were white.

A second one is very weak now, white gums, doesn't feed and keeps falling over,
it was very vocal earlier but now just some weak whimpering.
Mum cat seems to have given up on it.
I picked the kitten up and she was sitting in a little pool of water or urine.
It stops crying when put her in my lap, tried sugar water but it fights me, I suppose they can't have warm milk.
Doesn't look good for the poor kitten.
Should I keep trying with the sugar water?

gerard jones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some more info...
I gave her some sugar water on her lip and she licks it up, might be more out of annoyance than healthy hunger.
She fell asleep on my lap and I put her between the other kittens to keep her warm, they're all sleeping quietly for now.
I weighed her and she's right at 10oz. 30 days old.
Mum cat is sitting in a different room, seems a bit disengaged.
I'm retired and spend all day with them , just don't know what to do, can't afford a vet, can't even afford my nitro pills.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you see mom nursing the kittens a few times a day? They are underweight for 4 weeks old. They should weigh about one pound, so they clearly are not getting enough food from mom.

Can you get a can of evaporated milk and mix it with an egg yolk, a sprinkle of sugar and a sprinkle of salt?

This mixture can be syringe fed to the kittens several times a day if you cannot afford a $10 can of powdered PetAg kitten formula from Walmart.

Usually the kittens will take it well once they realize it’s good stuff.

I’m so sorry you are having a tough time, and that you lost a kitten today and another is fading. See if you can get some nutrition into this kitten asap. Kittens cannot have cow’s milk because they cannot digest lactose.

I hope you’ll be able to supplement all the kittens so they do not get weaker.

Keep us posted! G gerard jones

Status
Not open for further replies.