Cat bath (she is terminally ill)

janey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope this is the right forum to post. My cat was diagnosed with a terminal lymphoma 10 days ago & the vet estimated she has 3 weeks. She's home with me and under palliative care (prednisone & pain med & lots of extra love & anything she'll eat). She's not able to groom herself it seems & her coat is dirty & more disturbing - getting matted. I've trimmed several out of her. My question is, do you all think I should give her a quick warm bath? Will it comfort her or cause undo stress? Thanks so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure why it flagged at kitten, she is 11 years old.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Safely Bathe A Cat: The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

Welcome to The Cat Site! You were listed as a kitten because you have just begun to post here. I am sorry that your cat is not well and that you have been given such sad news.
Is your cat agreeable to having a bath in actual water? There are cat bathing type foams and other products available if those might be good substitutes. How bad are the mats? Mats only get worse in water and if you can remove them first it would be a very good idea. There are mat breaking combs available which remove them much easier than trying to cut them and more completely.

How to Deal With Matted Cat Fur (3 Options Explored) – TheCatSite Articles

You are taking excellent care of your cat and bathing is certainly helpful if she enjoys it. I did have a diabetic cat who was bathed regularly and she was very cooperative, even appreciative. If when you say your cat is dirty, you mean that there is fecal matter on her coat from the lymphoma, that might be a good reason to try to bathe her. If it is not her entire body, you can possibly wash her back half by using a bathroom sink and letting her lie on the drainboard with only her bottom in the sink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janey88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much fionasmom! I didn't know water would make the matts worse, thank goodness I reached out. She is not a fan of baths, not at all. In my mind I was trying to sort out if she would feel better with a clean coat even if it meant a bath (she's a rescue w/a tough background, w long hair and always had a beautiful soft shiny coat). My instinct was no after reading. She doesn't have any feces on her. I was able to trim out the matts w/out her being bothered & after I warmed up some Burt bee's cat wipes and she was ok w/me wiping her coat w/this, actually seemed to like it. Thank you again. This journey is hard.

DebbieLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used kitty wipes and a wet wash cloth for my terminally ill kitty, even on her butt. Other than trying to do her paws, she seemed to really enjoy it. After giving her a "bath", I would brush her with a soft brush.

There was a couple of times she stepped in wet kitty litter and I had to wash her paws off, she wasn't fond of that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With love and compassion for your current journey.

For mats, from experience, buy a good pair of scissors that are made to be used on human babies and toddlers. They have rounded tips. Do not get the mats wet before you do this. Lots of pets and cuddles before hand are good.

When your cat is relaxed, trim the mat from the mid point, if possible across. The next day your cat is relaxed trim a little closer to cat. You don't have to get all the way to your cat's skin. When you are 1/4 to 1/8th inch from the cat you may be able to gently comb the mat out.

do not pull on the mat. Mats collect a lot of hair, pulling the tight underneath them and making walking and stretching difficult.