Cat attacks

catowner89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody,

I'm the proud owner of a 3 y/o female indoor cat.

She's been with us for 2 years now and I still struggle to understand one thing she always does... and that is, attack me when I go to bed. Not when I'm sleeping, or when I'm in bed, it's when I actually go to bed.

I want to be clear it's unrelated to the time of the day. It can be 11 am or 11 pm, whenever I go to bed, she will attack me and bite. I know what is about to happen when it's bed time so 90% of the attacks I can avoid the actual biting, but she always tries...

Why is it? What could explain this type of behavior? I'd be more concerned if she were to do it at random times, but it's only when I go to bed. So I don't think she's in pain and trying to let me know. It's more behavioral, I think.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Keep safe in the meantime!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried playing her out before bed and giving her one last meal? Sometimes its play aggression, sometimes its attention seeking behavior. But playing with her will burn off energy, and the last meal tends to zonk them out lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Where exactly is she attacking you - your feet, legs, etc.? If you are under covers, she is intrigued by the lumps/bumps underneath it. You might try putting some toys underneath the covers a bit away from you to see if she will attack those instead. If it is your feet, and she isn't normally attracted to them otherwise, try uncovering them. The other thing you might try is to put her underneath the covers, sort of as a hiding place. My cat is only intrigued by stuff that is placed under something - kind of like it is hiding and 'waiting' for her.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely sounds like your kitty knows you're going to bed and she won't be getting any attention for awhile. She knows it's her last chance to play with you until you wake up.

Try tiring her out before you go to sleep, or giving her some special pets that are just for her. I remember on one episode of My Cat From Hell, Jackson actually had someone walk to bed with a handful of toy mice so they could throw them to distract their cat so it wouldn't attack. That was the long term solution, lol.