cat "attacking" youngest child.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I've had Cadbury for 2 months. As he has gained confidence in his new home (he was never one to be shy or scared though), he has decided that my youngest, 4 years, is his to munch on whenever. It started with him stalking and attacking her feet/legs. He would latch on and bite (no skin broken) her legs when she walked in. At first it was just when she wore certain pajamas and I thought maybe he was going after those. It's progressed now to bare skin or clothes...her sitting still...moving...walking...running...doesn't matter. He holds on with his feet and bite her hands, feet, legs, arms. Whatever he can reach is fair game. He isn't breaking the skin but it scares her and she ends up screaming and pulling/running away, which makes him go for her more. I'm having a hard time convincing her (really...she doesn't understand it) to not react, tell him no, not pull away, etc. He occasionally attacks our feet too, usually when they are under covers, but not often and it's when we haven't played enough and he is bored and wanting to play. I THINK thus issue with my youngest is play agression too, but is much worse with her because 1. She is smaller, 2. She reacts, 3. She REALLY wants to love on him and he can't handle it for long...so she follows and is essentially doing to him what he is doing to her when he is feeling extra fiesty.

Any suggestions? I don't want him or her to get hurt. I get onto her for pursuing him when he gets up to walk away when he is done with interacting with her. I explained to her that him moving means he wants her to leave him alone. That...flicking his tail means he is irritated, etc. But, she gets caught up in the excitement of him. So when she pursues, he will bat at her or bite at her to let her know he is DONE. These warnings are not the same as his "attacks." It's like he is decided she is as good as his best toy...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bumping this back up so maybe someone sees it...

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who does that to me when ever she does not get enough play.  Some cats want to play so badly that they start using people.  Get some fishing pole toys & run the cat around until tired several times.  This should solve the problem.  Mine wants to play for two hours & never gets tired but if you have a normal cat this hopefully will not be the case. Also, cats have trouble tolerating kids this young.  Make sure you have somewhere up high that the cat can get away if it needs to.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah....his favorite toy is "da bird." He know where it is kept, and begs for it! He will play til he is panting, rest for a few minutes and back at it. He loves to jump high, do a flip and catch the thing upside down, mid flip. Over...and over. So we do this a lot! :)

Someone is home all day with him 5 days a week. He is alone for 9 hours the other 2, but the day he "attacks" her isn't set to those 2.

He has a cat tree by where we sit, one in my bedroom, the top of a rabbit cage that is shoulder height to me, and he sits up on the bar. He loves those places and will go up there to sleep/get away...but mostly he is just up and down all day cause he loves being with us.

He tolerates her pretty well actually. He will let her carry him around (and he doesn't love being carried) and lays next to her in the floor when she is playing. He let's her know that he is done with the petting by walking away and then a warning bite or swipe that barely touches skin. The "attacks" are random and include days he has been worn out playing several times, days she isn't here most of the day, days she is, days we are all gone all day and then also those we are home, days she tries to hug him and pet on him past his limit and days she has been busy with other stuff.

He only really does this to her though for the most part, he seems to like her. Maybe he likes her too much and wants to play with her like his "da bird" or even another cat? Or maybe...he has decided she is easiest "prey" and he gets the biggest reaction from her so it's a more fun game than anyone else?

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really need help. She is getting more scared of him...she is his only target when he does this. Today she is screaming when he comes close. :'(

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the cat neutered?  Has he seen a vet lately to make sure there are no medical issues?  

Maybe the interaction between your daughter and cat needs to be changed.  Here are a couple of articles about cats and children:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/cats-and-children-10-things-every-parent-should-know/

http://www.pet360.com/cat/behavior-...to-play-nice-with-cats/iNgqyPLhu0Wjwx2ZQvP8Fg
yes, yes, and he only does this when they are not interacting. Like, she is sitting watching TV or walks down the hall. He is fine when she pets him unless she over does it and then he moves away. He will also let her carry him.

Thanks for the articles. I believe I have read the first one but will read the second.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he attack her if she has toys like Da Bird on her?

My family's cat did the same thing when I was your daughters age. One day, I decided enough was enough, and we sat down and for about an hour that cat tore me UP. And never attacked me again. It was just that I knew she had to see me not react, and it kinda wore her out, at the same time. Lol

I dont recommend this approach, obviously, but maybe a similar approach would work if there were toys involved.

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he attack her if she has toys like Da Bird on her?

My family's cat did the same thing when I was your daughters age. One day, I decided enough was enough, and we sat down and for about an hour that cat tore me UP. And never attacked me again. It was just that I knew she had to see me not react, and it kinda wore her out, at the same time. Lol

I dont recommend this approach, obviously, but maybe a similar approach would work if there were toys involved.
Oh gosh, he doesn't attack anyone if the "da bird" is out! He LOVES that thing. In fact, she has played with him using it many times and she wears out before him! LOL

I do think it is her reactions that cause this. She freaks out and try as I might, doesn't seem to understand staying calm. I guess I'm going to have to just keep working on her reactions but I don't want him to get more and more used to being so aggressive with her that when she successfully does not react....he continues to go at it.

He used to go after my feet or hands when he'd get over stimulated or iritated, but not reacting and a firm "no" solved that. Now, I can just look at him and he'll change his mind if he forgets my feet aren't prey for a moment. However, a no from me, or even her, does not work when he goes for her and she screams, runs, pulls away, cries....everything she shouldn't do.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw. It might help if you explain to her that he thinks of her like his big sister, and just wants to play. I'm sorry your daughter is scared. It used to scare me too, when the family cat--aptly called Animal, or Annie for short--went after our ankles if we swung them off the bed. I think our mother told us to stop moving so much. Lol

Last edited:

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw. It might help if you explain to her that he thinks of her like his big sister, and just wants to play. I'm sorry your daughter is scared. It used to scare me too, when the family cat--aptly called Animal, or Annie for short--went after our ankles if we swung them off the bed. I think our mother told us to stop moving so much. Lol
I'll try that. :)
I told her tonight that when she moves and screams he sometimes thinks she's a mouse, and so he plays with her like he would a mouse. Then I told her she has to be a "sleeping mouse" so that he knows the mouse doesn't want to play... LOL

My older daughter (7) doesn't get the "mouse treatment" at all.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try that. :)
I told her tonight that when she moves and screams he sometimes thinks she's a mouse, and so he plays with her like he would a mouse. Then I told her she has to be a "sleeping mouse" so that he knows the mouse doesn't want to play... LOL

My older daughter (7) doesn't get the "mouse treatment" at all.
I think that is TERRIFIC advice!!!

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that is TERRIFIC advice!!!
I'm sure I'm going to have to keep repeating over and over, as her fear of being "attacked" is pretty strong. I did ask her if he hurt her or just scares her and she says it's just scary. He has not even left marks so I figured that was the case...but didn't want to assume!

denverwriter22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, it sounds like you're doing an excellent job by educating your daughter on how to treat kitties.  Great job!  

It does sound like it's play aggression.  Maybe have your youngest play with your kitty with a fishing pole toy so he is less likely to attack her and more likely to attack the toy two or three times a day for 10-15 minutes.  My kitty really like Neko Flies, but there are lots of great fishing pole toys out there to choose from.  

Also, I think it's great that you tell her to ignore him when he latches on to her.  That is exactly what will get him to stop.  That and be sure to give him a lot of praise when he is not latching onto her in her presence.  Give him a treat or extra play time, tell him what a good kitty he is, pat him on the head, etc when he is with her and not attacking.  This will send the message that when he does not attack, he gets attention, and when he does attack, he will get ignored.  He, being a kitty, wants attention, so he will learn that not attacking is what gets him what he wants.  

You also touched on him getting overstimulated when she follows him around and loves on him.  It's wonderful that you are teaching her to recognize the signs of his becoming irritated.  Keep reitterating what you've been saying.  Let her know that it's okay to love on him, but maybe do it in smaller amounts so he doesn't become overwhelmed.  Let her know that her kitty loves her, but just like people, he needs a little space sometimes.  

I hope this helps.  I think having her play with him a few times a day would really be a great thing for both of them.  She can show her love by playing with him, and he can get out some of that energy, too.  

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, it sounds like you're doing an excellent job by educating your daughter on how to treat kitties.  Great job!  

It does sound like it's play aggression.  Maybe have your youngest play with your kitty with a fishing pole toy so he is less likely to attack her and more likely to attack the toy two or three times a day for 10-15 minutes.  My kitty really like Neko Flies, but there are lots of great fishing pole toys out there to choose from.  

Also, I think it's great that you tell her to ignore him when he latches on to her.  That is exactly what will get him to stop.  That and be sure to give him a lot of praise when he is not latching onto her in her presence.  Give him a treat or extra play time, tell him what a good kitty he is, pat him on the head, etc when he is with her and not attacking.  This will send the message that when he does not attack, he gets attention, and when he does attack, he will get ignored.  He, being a kitty, wants attention, so he will learn that not attacking is what gets him what he wants.  

You also touched on him getting overstimulated when she follows him around and loves on him.  It's wonderful that you are teaching her to recognize the signs of his becoming irritated.  Keep reitterating what you've been saying.  Let her know that it's okay to love on him, but maybe do it in smaller amounts so he doesn't become overwhelmed.  Let her know that her kitty loves her, but just like people, he needs a little space sometimes.  

I hope this helps.  I think having her play with him a few times a day would really be a great thing for both of them.  She can show her love by playing with him, and he can get out some of that energy, too.  
Thanks! We do play with "da bird" several times a day...to the point of panting! He bounces back and iis ready for more quickly though, so adding in more play sessions, and having her do them, shouldn't be too hard. That cat could go all day long with da bird and only need a few minutes rest here and there. :)