Cat attacking me for no reason

staticstate311

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Multiple times a day, my ten month old cat jumps on me and bites me. It only happens when I’m on the couch or a chair, or laying on the floor doing yoga.

She walks up pounces on me and bites me hard. If me or my partner remove her she just comes back and does it again. She also sometimes sits next to me on the couch purring and curls up. If I move at all even to touch my phone she leaps on me and bites my arm or stares me down until I leave.

Today my partner was playing with her on the other side of the room with a wand toy. They were having a blast and I was on the couch when suddenly the cat ran up and bit me. We play with her for 30 mins like 2-3 times a day and she has plenty of cat trees, windows, etc.

I have tried hissing or squeaking when she does it, leaving the room immediately, putting her in time out in the bathroom immediately, etc. and nothing works. This is rly impacting my relationship with her and I don’t know what to do. She loves me and we frequently have positive interactions too but more often lately I’m getting attacked. She doesn’t do it to my partner at all, only me. Please help!!!

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry, but have no clue. Time to call Jackson Galaxy?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this something she's always done, or a new behaviour?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Why Do Cats Attack? – TheCatSite Articles
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles
Why Is My Cat Growling? – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Aggression Toward People – TheCatSite Articles
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

See if there is anything in these articles that might help. A couple are not exactly what you asked, but they may have something that might be of use. When did you get the cat? Do you know if she was with her mother and siblings long enough to learn how to play without being rough? This can be resolved but can take some time. My Jamie was a tiny rescue and was a huge biter, ripper, shredder for a while as we worked through it.

If she is randomly walking up to you and attacking, get up and move, which you mentioned that you do. Everything stops if she attacks. Consider overstimulation if it happens as you have been petting her or playing for a while.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my fosters did this to my daughter when she visited after work. She just walked up to her and bit hard in her arm, making a hole in her shirt. I picked her up and put her on the floor but she just went straight back to my daughter and bit her hand, drawing blood, and didn't want to let go. It wasn't as though she looked frightened or aggressive, just determined. This happened on two occasions and we are still trying to work out what was going on. My daughter works in a pharmacy - usually in the laboratory - so we decided her clothes must have smelt of some chemical which excited or at least stimulated the cat to bite. The cat, not a very healthy creature, with perhaps some brain damage, is usually very friendly, particularly to strangers, my daughter included. We were only talking at the time and drinking tea. And then came the bite - I wouldn't even call it an "attack".

I thought my daughter may have been in close contact with baldrian but she insisted it wasn't that. Perhaps you use a perfume, deodorant, or cream which sets your cat off. You could try to be perfume free for a few days to see if that helps.

I wish you luck.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She Is being a brat. Probably because she is bored, doesn’t have a playmate to play rough with and finds It fun. Kittens seem to go through a stage where they attack and bite. When my kittens were acting that way I would pick them up, keeping one hand on their scruff so they couldn’t bite and take them for a walk around the house for a few minutes just because being held was the last thing they wanted to do, and also to let them know I was bigger than them and made the rules. You can also give him a push to make him let go and hold him down for a minute like his mom would do if he was being too much of a pest.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First cats never attack for no reason ...... it is just sometimes their reasons seem rather silly or stupid to us humans! Second is she spayed?

It sounds like she has chosen you to be her (unwilling) playmate (victim.) So one she is being a bully & two she needs to learn that humans are poor fragile gutless creatures who can’t play cat games with her.

I suggest the high pitch long wail of ooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww Combined with you ignoring her. Now I have been told I reach high notes alarms dream of! 🤣 The point is to startle them a bit and convey that they are hurting you with the high pitch. You also start correcting this behavior from the beginning at the slightest hint of fang or claw!!!

Next she needs an outlet for her energy. Like a catio or time outside on a harness (assuming she is fixed.) Bird feeders are great. Outside time is like Ritalin for cats! Combine catio or harness time with a couple play sessions using wand toys & hopefully she will find a positive outlet for her energy.

That said if a cat bit my arm like that, I would scruff them & gently peel them off. Then using a pillow as a shield if need be, find a way to get that cat away from me. If my cat did that twice (& drew blood) kitty would be getting some prozac, behavior modification & would not let the cat within 3-5 feet of me whenever they looked kinda aggressive! If you see her hunting you, throw a small toy or a kickeroo away from you. Cats biting people can lead to awful infections & people surrendering/euthanizing their cats! 😢