1. Guest, hurry up! Enter this giveaway to win an awesome cat-themed bag worth $64.99! Click here to enter today. Multiple daily entries!

Cat Attacking Dog? Help?

Discussion in 'Cat Behavior' started by mariaevinne, Jun 14, 2017.

1. mariaevinne

mariaevinne TCS Member Kitten

Jun 14, 2017
    Our new cat, a stray that had been hanging around our house, seems to have some issues with our neighbors dog comming to visit. Our other two cats will simply jump up on a chair or bed when she comes over, but our new cat will chase, growl, and even pounce on top of her. We would like to train this cat to not attack dogs, and any tips, tricks, and advice is appreciated. He gets along just fine with all our other animals, including other cats and chickens. It's just the dog that he hates.

2. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    He is fearful of the dog because he is a stranger coming onto his territory, and well, it IS a dog,and he is afraid the dog will hurt those he loves. Tell him NO loudly and remove him from the area. If at all possible have the cat behind a closed screen where he can observe but not have contact with the dog. Different cats have different personalities, and this cat is more aggressive about protecting what he loves. He just needs to get better acquainted with the dog, restrained somehow when the dog is present so as not to hurt it and get used to the dog's presence. Act calm and quiet when the dog visits, show the cat that there is nothing to fear. Eventually he will get used to the dog but it will take time, most likely several months.

zed xyzed, tarasgirl06 and geoffrey purraised this.
  3. tarasgirl06

tarasgirl06 TCS Member Top Cat

Sep 19, 2006
    Glendale, California
    Being a non-dog-lover myself, I had to smile when I read this! but of course, the CAT's safety is the most important thing. di and bob's post makes a lot of sense.

4. BombayKittyLover

BombayKittyLover TCS Member Kitten

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Michagan
    This happened with my dog and cat. Try standing in front of your cat and if she goes away give her a treat. Same goes for the dog, if it is okay with her/his owner give him/her a treat if he/she doesn't attack that cat.
    I agree with @tarasgirl06 di and bob's post makes sense.
    Good luck!:bigeyes:

5. dustydiamond1

dustydiamond1 Minion to Gypsy since October 2016 Alpha Cat

Jan 24, 2017
    central Illinois, USA
    Since your cat was a neighborhood stray perhaps he hates him because he had a past bad experience with the dog and is protecting you. Kudos for supplying a forever home :catrub:

6. thecatzmeow

thecatzmeow TCS Member Young Cat

May 13, 2017
    Arizona
    He likely has a bad experience with dogs, especially since he was outdoors before. Also, he's protecting his territory. I would suggest putting the cat in a separate room when the dog is over. It's causing unnecessary anxiety and the cat may act out in other ways .... like spraying for example. Any change in environment can set off behavioral issues. There's also a calming spray that you can purchase that might help him while he's in the other room (he can still smell the dog in the house).