Cat Ate Turkey Fat And Some Foil

jesmb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had turkey grease cooling on the kitchen counter, covered with foil. I went up to take a shower and came downstairs to the foil shredded and a greasy faced fat. I know that she definitely ate some of the foil to get to the grease, but I also know that she's definitely eaten worse than this before and survived because she was a city street cat before she came to me

She vomited about an hour later but otherwise seems okay. She even tried to go back for seconds and was looking for the turkey fat later on :lol:. We're going to monitor her for more vomiting/diarrhea or lethargy, but is a vet trip absolutely necessary tomorrow? I know it's recommended to give your cat a lubricating food to help pass little bits of foil, but I'm pretty sure the turkey fat will be doing that for me.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think that the vet trip is absolutely necessary but I'd keep an eye on her and maybe stay around home as much as possible tomorrow so you are available to go if you have to. Be vigilant. Personally I would close off some doors and try to keep her in the same part of the house as me or my husband so we could see or hear any vomiting.

My cat has pica and eats so many bad things and our vet is usually unconcerned as long as it's been a few days or there has been no real vomiting. Typically after he eats something he's not supposed to he will vomit within a few hours. Continuous vomiting and lethargy are what to look out for and that would be an emergency and not a wait and see sort of thing.

Really not fun having a cat who eats things they shouldn't- though with yummy greasy foil your cat was probably get trying to get to the flavor and not eat the foil.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be surprised if she had a stomach ache while giving you a look that says "it was worth it."
Once a few of our dogs ate a bunch of cooked chicken bones and we were told to feed pumpkin and peas, anything fibrous to protect the GI until it passed and monitor for puking, pooping, and all that fun stuff as best we could. Everyone was fine.
If you see her sitting or laying in a hunched up position, refusing food, vomiting, diarrhea, I'd get to the vet, not only because of the foil could cause problems but turkey grease is very fatty and pancreatitis is something to keep into consideration. Odds are she'll be fine, just be vigilant.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 gave you the warning signs, but I doubt you will see them. Especially if the foil was shredded, and there are no whole, large chunks missing. I'd almost bet the vomiting was from all that grease. However, little patrol might be a lot of fun for the next few days. And if there are any furballs, they're gonna pass!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 gave you the warning signs, but I doubt you will see them. Especially if the foil was shredded, and there are no whole, large chunks missing. I'd almost bet the vomiting was from all that grease. However, little patrol might be a lot of fun for the next few days. And if there are any furballs, they're gonna pass!
I hope the little kitty is OK.
Baby Girl recently chewed the ears and tail off of a mouse toy and they haven't been located. I'm 100% sure the little dweeb ate them and she's been absolutely perfectly fine.
I worry more with the older ones than the youngsters, because once we (I mean they) get old, the pipes clog easier.

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my Siamese once ate a piece of tinsel off the Christmas tree.. It emerged on his litter tray.. watch the tray! It was rather,,,, mucky.. so maybe like a bottle brush cleaning him out?

islander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my Siamese once ate a piece of tinsel off the Christmas tree.. It emerged on his litter tray.. watch the tray! It was rather,,,, mucky.. so maybe like a bottle brush cleaning him out?
PS it cannot be digested so will pass through

How do I edit please?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
islander islander : To edit your post, look at the bottom left hand corner (opposite the row on the right that says "purraise/quote/reply"). There will be 3 parallel horizontal lines. Click on those and a drop-down box including "edit" will appear. And welcome to TCS! :sunshine:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
PS it cannot be digested so will pass through

How do I edit please?
islander islander : To edit your post, look at the bottom left hand corner (opposite the row on the right that says "purraise/quote/reply"). There will be 3 parallel horizontal lines. Click on those and a drop-down box including "edit" will appear. And welcome to TCS! :sunshine:
They can't yet, still in "Kitten" status, have to make 20 posts for edit privileges.