Cat Ate Toxic Houseplant, Do I Need To Induce Vomiting

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mrowmrow chewed on/ate leaves off of a dracena marginata plant. He's chewed on this plant before; I thought I put it out of reach. I figured he'd throw it up like he did last time. I left to get a missing dinner ingredient, and when I came back ~ 10 minutes later, my boyfriend said he'd stopped him throwing up several times because he kept trying to puke on the rugs and carpet. I put him in the bathroom, hoping he'd vomit in there, but he hasn't. ]

Do I need to induce vomiting somehow? Not sure what to do.

The plant is in the trash, now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It says it's mild to moderate toxicity.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call your vet, even if they are closed. There should be an after hours voicemail message for who to call for emergencies. If you have a vet ER in the area, just pack the cat up and go there. Call before you head over so they are aware that you are bringing your cat and for what reason.

There's always the ASPCA poison control hotline 888-426-4435 but they do charge a consultation fee.

I would not induce vomiting.

Even if a vet deermine that your cat isn't in any danger, it's better knowing that for peace of mind than to do a "wait and see for the next day or two" for any symptoms to show up. Sometimes by the time symptoms appear, the toxicity is pretty bad and it may be harder or not even possible to treat the cat.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, calling er vet now

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He got sick on the way to the vet and a little piece of the plant came up. Heart rate was elevated and breathing was heavy AND he was frothing at the mouth when we got there, but all of that was side effects from the drive (he foams at the mouth and pukes every time). Vet just said to watch him and take him to a vet immediately if I see any problems with his balance. He seemed ok this morning. He didn't meet me in the kitchen when I first got up (unusual), and his eyes were kind of squinty...I immediately panicked but I'm 99% sure he'd just been very asleep in his bed because he yawned and stretched about two seconds later and then acted fine. He ate his breakfast and was acting normal when I left.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you got your cat to the vet and got some peace of mind :agree: Definitely keep an eye on your cat for the next few days.