Cat Ate Thread Saga

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sunday afternoon one of my cats started vomiting thread from the cat toys. We knew she had a history of eating thread, elastic bands and parts of mouse toys, but our vet always said that as long as she acts fine - eating, pooping, playing to not worry. Well, from Sunday afternoon until Monday morning she vomited 9 times, large amounts of thread - the equivalent of two and a half cat toys (wands, poles or what they're called).

First thing in the morning we called our vet, he said he'll be at the office at 5 pm. She stopped vomiting. Monday afternoon Amelie had an ultrasound which revealed more thread, some in the stomach, some in the large intestine. She had some shots to stop the vomiting, to increase the bowel movements and some vitamins. We were sent home with some sort of maltz paste.

She vomited again once Tuesday morning, but she also pooped, which made us incredibly happy. She had a ravenous appetite but as I am home I fed her multiple times, small meals.

But tonight the vomiting resumed, only clear liquid for now. As soon as she vomits she searches for food and I can see she is very hungry.

If it comes to surgery I totally trust our vet, but he is not very talkative nor very familiar with other foodd that are not Royal Canine or Hill's kibble.

So long story short, what can I feed her? Her usual is mostly raw and canned, with some treats. I think that her throat and stomach are severly irritated and I would make her a broth or something. I know I have to withold food for a while, but she is hungry and with all the vomiting, I want to have her hydrated and avoid fatty liver disease.

As for the thread eating, we are more than aware that it is our fault leaving the toys out and our fault we did not order ultrasound even if she seemed fine.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Is that Amelie or Sophie? How is she today? Sounds like quite the predicament. I think feeding her should be according to the vet's instructions, particularly if she's going into surgery. If no surgery is scheduled and you can't get hold of a vet, I would feed her wet food, diluted with some water, to keep her from getting dehydrated and get some calories into her. I would try small portions, not too  much at once, as her stomach is already semi-full. 

Let us know how she's doing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get any type of pureed baby food, such as the turkey or chicken that Gerber makes?

If not, I suggest that you take a pate-type wet cat food and mix it into a very fine mush by adding clear pedialyte if you can get it. This will ensure hydration.

Your cat should be able to lap and swallow this easily.

I hope your cat gets better soon!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, until you can get advice from the vet, I would keep her on liquid or semi-liquid food. Even Kitten replacement milk or homemade salt free both. If you could get some nutrical paste you could put it on her gums to get some calories into her without her having to digest food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.

Amelie is our semi feral cat and the one who had no health problems before this thread thing. We were always applauding her health and I think we jinxed her (we have another two cats with a very poor immune system). Guilty doesn't even begin to describe how we feel.

Anyway, she vomited twice last evening, clear liquid. It's been 24 hours or so since then. She has a very healthy appetite, I gave her pate food with water in it. I can not find baby food with ok ingredients for cats. Baby food available in Romania, or at least what I found, had only fruits and vegetables.

As long as she keeps having bowel movements, the vet says we should wait for her to eliminate the remaining thread on her own, so hopefully no surgery.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No surgery would be ideal, though it sounds as though this has been an uncomfortable and painful ordeal for your cat - not to mention dangerous.

I'm glad to hear he's eating the watered down pate, and hoping he's keeping it down. I'm also hoping the rest of the thread passes quickly, and that this cat returns to enjoying his former robust health.

All the best :).

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know its a nice light ball that they like to bat around but why they are surrounded by thread have no idea. I'm stupid and should never have given it to her.yes they have these for sale in a pet store as a cat toy.