Cat ate sunflower seed shells

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I accidentally left a bowl of sunflower seed shells on the table, and my cat ate quite a few of them while I was sleeping. He ate a good handful of them it looks like. Will he be ok? He means everything to me, and I can't sleep now that I'm worrying about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's throwing up his food this morning, but he may have just eaten too fast. I'm not sure.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you should consult with your vet. I have heard that eating too many - especially when it involves the shells - can really upset a cat's stomach. I would guess that is why he threw up his food this morning. Maybe the vet could prescribe something to help settle his stomach?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will have to call tomorrow. The vet I go to doesn't work today, and the one at the office right now has been rather unpleasant to work with in the past.
He ate some chicken and more food this morning and was able to keep it down, and is drinking water fine.
Is there any chance that he'll just digest it/pass it and be fine? Right this moment I just want a bit of peace of mind that he might be ok. ^^; <3

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chicken is a good thing to try to help his stomach. And, it's good that he is wanting to eat and drink. As long as he continues to act normal and keeps eating/drinking, I would imagine that he should be fine once the seed shells get through his system. I have not heard that they are poisonous, just rough on the digestive system, so don't be surprised if he experiences a bit of loose stool - although, that isn't a 'guarantee' it will happen.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, thank you. <3 And thank you for the warning, haha. I don't mind though, as long as he's ok. :rbheart:

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shells could create an intestinal blockage - a friend's cat became mysteriously ill,losing weight, lethargic, vomiting and they couldn't figure out why. Eventually the vet discovered a blockage and discovered it was caused by the shells, the owner liked to snack on sunflower seeds and the cat would sneak the shells - the cat had surgery and fully recovered.

I don't tell you this to be alarmist, but it is good to be aware!

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet earlier today, she said to just keep a close eye on him for now, and if he starts showing any distress/vomiting/diarrhea, then to take him in to be checked out. I don't think he's passed the seeds yet. I'm not sure if he's eating his normal food, but he's eating his treats without any problems, and he's keeping them down. He's been more playful than normal since he's eaten them, so that's good I guess lol?