Cat ate string help?

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Autumn was fostered by my mom and I at 4 weeks with 3 of her siblings, 2 passed - one from FIP. I call her Audumdum lol and she was always scared of people including my mom and I but she LOVES other cats and tries to be friends with them. The one time she actually wanted to be loved was after a bath. I was playing with Audumdum with a string and it fell on her. She started eating it and I tried to stop her but she got scared so she ran. I tried to catch her while she was still eating it but she ran upstairs and it was too late. I checked her mouth but nothing in sight. Now I'm stress eating until I see red string coming out of her butt. I hate her so much right now lol. Obviously if she vomits or is constipated, it's a vet trip. Is there anything else I should look for? How long do you think it will take for it to pass?

Attachments

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give her Petromalt or even a dab of petroleum jelly on her paw for a couple days to help it pass smoothly...or if you have Laxatone on hand. I have a cat who will chew on dryer sheets, not to mention ribbon and string. Don't hesitate to call vet if signs of trouble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give her Petromalt or even a dab of petroleum jelly on her paw for a couple days to help it pass smoothly...or if you have Laxatone on hand. I have a cat who will chew on dryer sheets, not to mention ribbon and string. Don't hesitate to call vet if signs of trouble.
Thank you! I have petroleum jelly. I had a kitten who ate sewing thread and my mom noticed it coming out of her mouth and she pulled a lot from her throat. Lol I hate cats sometimes :runaround:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t remember exactly, but I think it took my cat even 4 days to pass 15cm ribbon like thing.
what is the string made of?
I second the suggestion of giving her some hairball remedy to help pass it.
And don’t pull any string of you see it either coming from her anus or mouth, cut it gently if needed but pulling can be very dangerous.
if she’s lethargic, has pooping issues, vomiting, take her straight to vet/ER.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t remember exactly, but I think it took my cat even 4 days to pass 15cm ribbon like thing.
And don’t pull any string of you see it either coming from her anus or mouth, cut it gently if needed but pulling can be very dangerous.
It's softish from a Chinese lantern. Thank you.

Attachments

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm assuming you put jelly on the paw so she can lick it off. is there a reason I can't put it in her mouth?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm assuming you put jelly on the paw so she can lick it off. is there a reason I can't put it in her mouth?

Some cats resist having it 'administered', so, rather than struggle with the cat, some folks allow the cat to eat it...and, they will lick it from their paw!

M Mochiandme - I do hope you caught the caution flag that She's a witch waived about not pulling out a string....from either end!

How long was the piece she ate? And, is the string a natural fiber or synthetic ?

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Some cats resist having it 'administered', so, rather than struggle with the cat, some folks allow the cat to eat it...and, they will lick it from their paw!

M Mochiandme - I do hope you caught the caution flag that She's a witch waived about not pulling out a string....from either end!

How long was the piece she ate? And, is the string a natural fiber or synthetic ?
Yes I will not be pulling anything from anywhere. It was about 12 inches but she started eating it from the middle. It's a fiber/fabric-y.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Im having flashbacks of spooky doing the same thing she threw up everywhere but she seems to be fine now still pooping fine once a day idk if thats normal but it will get better listen to what they say on here thry are really good

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Remeber spookys ordeal omg im having flashbacks

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I will not be pulling anything from anywhere. It was about 12 inches but she started eating it from the middle. It's a fiber/fabric-y.
It it were cotton or other natural fabric, there would Be a chance that it would break down in the stomach. But it seems it’s something synthetic, and since it’s pretty long, I’d actually check exactly each poop to make sure she passed it. You can put it in the plastic bag and smash it, or use plastic knife and fork... or any other gross method of your choice :)

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im having flashbacks of spooky doing the same thing she threw up everywhere but she seems to be fine now still pooping fine once a day idk if thats normal but it will get better listen to what they say on here thry are really good
Thanks!

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It it were cotton or other natural fabric, there would Be a chance that it would break down in the stomach. But it seems it’s something synthetic, and since it’s pretty long, I’d actually check exactly each poop to make sure she passed it. You can put it in the plastic bag and smash it, or use plastic knife and fork... or any other gross method of your choice :)
Lol okay thank you! Poop hunting love it :banana1:🤣