Cat Ate Some Silicone

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats dragged the brush I use to do the dishes to the floor and ate a part of the suction cup at the end of the brush. Here you can also see what it's supposed to look like.
20180205_175718.jpg

I called at my vet clinic and they said I should buy their laxative paste that is apparently for hairballs, even if I already have treats that do the same thing (last time I gave them the treats they had loose stools). I would have to give them 3cm of the paste, 3 times a day for 3 days. Does this treatment sound excessive? Also she said I should separate the cats to know if one isn't eating and/or vomiting while I'm at work tomorrow, but I know they would yell all day and I'm afraid my neighbours would complain to the landlord.
The two cats are acting normally, I couldn't find any vomit, and they just ate their wet food also normally.
Is this quantity of silicone something I should be worried about? I mean I am worried but my previous vet never reacted in such way; they used to tell me "see how it goes and if they use the litterbox, eat, and if their energy level is normal" before I panic. I'm sort of feeling stuck between my previous vet's way of thinking and the new one saying this is an ingestion of bad stuff, you should give them the laxative paste right away. I believe this new clinic is kind of "there to make money", too.
Please advise what you think? The vet closes at 8pm and it's currently 6:25. I have time to buy the paste but would like advice still.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that's a big enough piece to cause a blockage. It should pass without much trouble. Of course keep a sharp eye out for signs of blockage, just in case. . .but I think they'll be OK. The hairball treats should serve the same purpose as Laxatone.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are fine just observing. That's a very small bit of silicone missing and looks as if it would have come off in more than one single piece. As usual, W Willowy has hit the nail on the head!