Cat ate rubber band!

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just ate a few rubber bands that I left on the floor. Is he going to be okay?

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat ate a rubberband once, and I didn't even know it till I found it in the poop.

I'm guessing nature will do its job and the rubberbands will come out soon. Either that, or he'll puke it out. , that everything will be OK.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
plar- please either give your kitty some mineral oil or some olive oil to help push the rubber band through the system. Use either a feeding syringe or eye dropper, feed it slowly give about a tablespoon of oil (for a mature cat) 1/2 tsp for kitten over the period of a few minutes

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had that happen with Coco. One day she was throwing up and it was 5 Rubber Bands I was so scared but she was ok. She had threw them all up. I would call the Vet. They can do a Xray to see if he is ok. It was a year ago when Coco did that. Last Dec she barfed and she had a the inside of a Cat Toy. It came up in one piece and she was ok.

brookey326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would watch your cat VERY carefully for the next little bit, or until you see the rubberbands in his poop or throw up. I learned the hard way...My cat Frankie ate a rubber band once. I did not actually see her do it, but one night she got really really sick and was puking all night. I took her to the vet and they took a whole bunch of ex-rays and ran some tests. Come to find out, she had a rubberband in her intestines that was causing a blockage. The vet told me that he would give her medicane to help her pass the rubberband, but if it did not work, they would have to operate!!! Luckily the stuff they gave her (Barium) worked. Now I lock rubberbands up.

Don't let this freak you out...he will most likely be ok. Hope this helped!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just called my vet, he said the cat should be fine unless he starts acting weird. I must be careful with rubber bands around the cat from now on.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's funny all the things we are aware of that we wouldn't be aware of if we didn't have our cats.

I have to lock up my hairbands because Kelly likes to play with them, and they just go missing.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buster once swallowed a rubber band too. I didn't know until I saw pieces of it in his poop. Now I don't allow rubber bands in the home at all. I don't know if it tastes good to cats but Buster tried to always eat them, so we had to ban them.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I got my two, my house is 1000% better patrolled by me for potentially bad things - rubber bands, paper clips, dental floss, tie twisties, leaving knives on the counter during dinner - you name it, I've gotten better at putting it away quickly.

But, like any parents, no matter what you do, accidents may happen. All we can try to do is be very vigilant (and have the e-vet's phone number on hand at all times).

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie has never eaten a rubber band but he will go for things like balloon ribbon. Which can be just as dangerous. When I got balloons for V-Day I made absolute sure he couldn't get the ribbon. Luckily, anytime he has gotten a hold of it, he just puked it up or pooed it out. You can never be too careful though. I hope your kitty will be OK.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Tailer was just a weirdo, but it must be a widespread thing. Tailer LOVES rubber bands. If there's one anywhere in the house he WILL find it and eat it...so rubber bands have been banished.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful on Cat Toys too. Last Christmas my Sister got my Cats Toys. One had a Ribbon thing in the center. I thought Coco was Coughing from her Asthma acting up and then she threw up. The whole Ribbon was in it. It all game up whole. I looked at the toy and the Ribbon was gone. am carefu what toys I buy now.

hisfirstime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat used to do it all the time. We now put rubber bands in the drawer straight away or he will get them and eat them. If he does find one, usually he just throws up a couple of times, gets a headache and goes quiet for a day, and then poops them out a day later. Silly puss!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Malt flavored petroleum jelly (for hairballs) can also help to pass such indigestible obstructions.  

Luckily I think most rubber bands are short enough (at least if not chewed into a long string) that it wouldn't twist up his intestines which is always the concern when they eat things like tinsel or string or other things of that nature.    

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you've read the book about Dewey the Library Cat, you'll know what can happen if a cat eats too many rubber bands.  Usually, a few are not a problem, depending on the size of the cat.  However, check the cat's rear end after he uses the litter box; the whole rubber band may not pass out at once.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've read the book about Dewey the Library Cat, you'll know what can happen if a cat eats too many rubber bands.  Usually, a few are not a problem, depending on the size of the cat.  However, check the cat's rear end after he uses the litter box; the whole rubber band may not pass out at once.
I want to add to this never EVER pull something out that you see sticking out of a cat's rear end (or out of their throat either) Yuu don't know what that thing is hung up on, and could do serious damage and cause great pain.

If you suspect your cat has eaten a rubber band your best bet is to take the cat to the vet. At least CALL the vet. Rubber bands can cause very serious damage to a cat's insides.

maxwellbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before I could finish reading this post about cat eating rubber band, my Baby threw hers up....Oh well that was quick, about 5 minutes... ..