cat ate plastic bag

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, this morning I woke up to one for my cats rustling through a bag. When I came downstairs and picked up the bag there was about 2\3 of it missing. It was a produce bag. The small clear ones you get at the grocery store. I called the vet and while I was on the phone found a pile of vomit with what looked like most of the produce bag and some regular grocery bag. The vet said to keep an eye on his behavior and to call if he vomited again. I went to empty the kitty litter to make sure we would know if he passed it and found some older stool with plastic in it. I asked my boyfriend when he had emptied the kitty litter last and he 2 days or less. Loki is eating and drinking normally and behaving normally except for the lack of defecation. I think its been about 20 hours since hes passed anything. Does anyone have any experience with this? Help!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat did the same thing about a year ago and he is fine. Now that you know he likes bags make sure they are always out of his reach. Some cats just can't resist plastic bags.

You could give him a little Laxatone or a little dab of butter to help him pass any little bits that might be left. Of couse you want to check with your vet if you notice anything unusual, but the fact that he threw up the plastic and is keeping food down are good signs.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Do you think I be worries about the lack of stool? And I have some chicken mixed with pumpkin by almonature which is good for digestion. Do you think this would work as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liabee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you think I should be worried***