Cat ate part of lily plant

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 month old cat ate part of a lily leaf this morning. I did not see exactly how much he ate but he threw up some a few minutes later. He was at the vet an hour later and has had bloods done which did not show any signs of kidney distress, but the vet told me effects may be delayed. He has been on IV therapy for 5 hours and I need to decide if he should stay overnight or come home. His vet recommended he stay on IV therapy in the hospital for 2 days, but said he may be okay if he does come home. I know he is very scared and stressed on his own. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlottetommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with this?
I had the suspect my cat ate part of a lily plant back in July. I didn't see her eating the plant, but I noticed a strange wobbling and I thought she had eaten the plant.
I rushed her to the vet and exposed my concerns, and I also told him what happened and when.
He said that any sign from lily poisoning should show up between 2 and 4 hours from the occurrence. And this was what all the internet pages I had read meanwhile would say as well.

You took your cat in promptly, so any possible issue can be taken care of quickly. I would leave your cat there for a day, and if they can repeat the blood test and they see no kidney damages have happened, then I think you and your cat should be fine. I wouldn't bring him back home too soon.

In my case the problem had nothing to do with the lily, and we didn't understand what it was.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lilies are poisonous for cats and should not be in the house. A friend brought me some once and my cat ate some, and vomited. I brought him to the vet school where he got fluids, and yes, even after vomiting the lily plant, the toxins can continue to impact the kidneys. It is good you took quick action, as I did. I hope the vet suggested a recheck . I dont recall leaving my boy overnight anywhere, I took him home. Cats can also get fluids at home if needed, it is very easy to do if there are two pairs of hands. Let us know how your kitty is doing.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can also get fluids at home if needed, it is very easy to do if there are two pairs of hands. Let us know how your kitty is doing.
Pets can get fluids at a clinic through an IV port in one of their legs, but this port is always removed before sending them home(*), so how can a cat get their fluid at home? The sub-Qs aren't as effective.

(*) this is what happens over here, in Italy.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep your cat in the hospital on iv fluids. Lillie effects won’t show up on blood right away. You have to test in 24 to 48 hours.
I knew a cat that played with lillies but didn’t show signs till ten days later. That cat died even with aggressive supportive care. What kind of Lillie?