Cat ate pack of dreamies help?!

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat managed to eat half a packet of dreamies Wednesday afternoon which were left on a shelf :(
It looks like she may of had some of the packaging. She vomited some packaging up on Wednesday night. Acting her normal self. Pooped yesterday and this morning so bowels ok. But continues to keep vomiting.
We’ve rung the vet and they said it’s probably having too many dreamies but can’t help but panic!!!
Has anyone else had this before???

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah they’re a cat treat! Quite popular in the UK.
Yeah, it's probably from eating too many of them then, but if she keeps throwing up through the day then you might want to call your vet again and see if they can get her in for an emergency appointment.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they are the US equivalent to Temptations (kind of like Lays vs. Walkers). If it’s anything like the US version, they have all the vitamins and minerals a cat needs and can be treated like dry food (well, a very low protein one anyway).

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably no reason to panic. Kitty just has an upset stomach. Sort of like when children overindulge in candy after Halloween. Once one of my cats ate a whole bag of Temptations and had the same result. He was okay by the next day.

The packaging is troubling though because it most likely wouldn't break down during the passage through her bowels.. Hopefully, she brought up all she consumed. Do keep an eye on her and take her to the clinic if she doesn't get better after a day or so.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No different from a kid eating a whole box of cookies or a giant bag of chips. There may be an upset tummy but nothing to worry about. In the future keep bags of treats inside a secure lidded food storage container inside of a kitchen cabinet / cupboard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No different from a kid eating a whole box of cookies or a giant bag of chips. There may be an upset tummy but nothing to worry about. In the future keep bags of treats inside a secure lidded food storage container inside of a kitchen cabinet / cupboard.
Definitely a learning curve. Who knew cats were so devious!!!
it seems on observation tonight I’ve noticed the problem may be actually that my cat is eating too fast. She seems to not chew her food.. we already use a puzzle feeder. Aeema to have gotten worse after attacked by a neighbourhood cat. I wonder if this behaviour after the dreamies incident is making her regurgitate. Any suggestions slowing the cat down guys?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed smaller meals, more often. Add some water so dry food will stick to their mouth and teeth more (and a little extra moisture can't hurt, either). If you don't already have one, you might try one of those finger-style slow feeders, where the cat has to get dry food out from between long fingers.

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far cats kept down 10g of kibble from 6pm! Just give a teaspoon of wet food and seeing how it goes.
shes completely fine in her self. So fingers crossed. 2 bowel movements today so I’m hopefully means no packaging ingested!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Years ago, my cat Milo (now deceased but this is not the reason) looked incredibly healthy but started to vomit frequently. I took him to the vet who commented on how spectacularly healthy he looked, great coat, etc. No cause found. About a day later I found him sitting in the middle of a ripped open bag of emergency dry cat food (20 lb) and estimated from the look of it that he had eaten about 15 lbs before I caught him at it. That was the end of it and he was fine. Yes, he could have eaten some of the packaging, but we never had any evidence of that, or problem. Keep watching for the packaging though, or anything else that looks troubling.

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Years ago, my cat Milo (now deceased but this is not the reason) looked incredibly healthy but started to vomit frequently. I took him to the vet who commented on how spectacularly healthy he looked, great coat, etc. No cause found. About a day later I found him sitting in the middle of a ripped open bag of emergency dry cat food (20 lb) and estimated from the look of it that he had eaten about 15 lbs before I caught him at it. That was the end of it and he was fine. Yes, he could have eaten some of the packaging, but we never had any evidence of that, or problem. Keep watching for the packaging though, or anything else that looks troubling.
You’ve got to laugh at these cats really!! I’m hoping this will be the case with our Toby :) she seems to have managed the wet food. We will try 6 SMALL meals tomorrow and take it from there as recommended by the vet. I will try to look into and get some
Advice from the vet regarding Toby gorging at her food. Sure there’s a vet approved feeder to slow cats down as mines clearly not working and is no good if they’re feeling delicate from additional factors such as the dream he’s incident 🤪

Kelly3110

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all thanks for your replies.
Good news Toby is back to normal no vomit in 48hours and has tolerated two days of 6x small meals. Even let her back outside to day for a couple hours.
thanks for all the reassurance. Nothing worse than having a poorly kitty on your hands!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Same with humans! I was tempted to buy some but restrained myself! Glad she is OK.