Cat ate my sleeping pill

concernedcatown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My rather large cat managed to eat one of my sonatas tonight (my fault).  I realized what had happened when she started to act as she did when she got spayed, walking around a bit drunk and disoriented. I called the local vet hospital, and then animal poison control.  They let me know it's non-lethal/non-urgent, but that I should keep her away from stimuli and places she can jump off of/get injured and keep an eye on her for the next 12 hours-ish.

So, here's my conundrum. I'm not sure where to keep her tonight. She's already getting over the lethargy/drunk walking a bit, but I want to be cautious. I keep her litter box in the bathroom, so that's my first thought, but lately she has been climbing on and off of the bathtub edge, which seems one of the easier places for her to get hurt.

I dragged a large trunk next to my bed which she can use to get up and down in smaller jumps, she seems to have figured that out. I guess I'm mostly just wondering if that sounds better than the bathroom. I think mostly I need to get this out of my system because I was super freaked out until poison control confirmed it won't damage her organs or anything (they were very kind to do so immediately, before they even finished collecting my billing info, as I had rambled into the explanation while in the process of trying to determine how urgent it was).

So, any suggestions on keeping her comfortable but confined? Any advice is welcome and appreciated (and I'll make sure she never gets her paws on one of these again).

Thanks much.

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this has never happened to me but assuming kittens body way smaller than yours... I would not be able to sleep so I could keep track of my cats reactions of the drug. I wold wait at least 12 hours to see what effects such drug has on my baby even though animal control has said its fine. I mean, Maia gets a little tears on her eyes and Im calling the vet. I might be overprotective but I would never forgive myself if something happen to any of my  2 babies.

I AM NOT JUDGING THOUGH. I AM VERY CLEAR WITH THIS BECAUSE I HAVE RECENTLY FELT ATTACKED BY OTHER KIND OF FORUM. NOT CAT SITE.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

concernedcatown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate your saying that. I certainly feel like an idiot, but what's done is done and all I can do now is make sure she's okay. Poison control was very clear that they were giving me the worse case scenario - and luckily, this pill is probably the mildest, short-acting sleeping pill I've ever encountered. But I will definitely be keeping her close/keeping an eye on her. That's why I'm leaning toward keeping her in my room as usual, despite the bed jumping possibility. I took a sleeping pill after the first went missing, before realizing that she had eaten it (I thought I had misplaced it or...something...I really don't know what I was thinking), so I'm concerned I won't be able to stay awake the full 12 hours, but I will be setting an alarm for every couple of hours to check on her.

Thanks again for the reply. Really appreciate it. I couldn't handle it if my cat got hurt on my watch (really at all, but it would be worse if it was my fault).

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I would keep her in my bedroom so I could keep an eye on her. That way, you can wake up here and there and get a visual on her.

The important thing is that you did not give her or let her have something fatal. Learn from it and make sure it never happens again. Count it as a blessing that she will be okay! And you won't let it happen again. :rub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

concernedcatown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I ended up keeping her in my room, she slept on the bed, no injury, seems to have recovered from ingesting the sleeping pill. I feel very lucky that it was something that wouldn't do serious harm, and I certainly will not let it happen again. Thanks again.

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy she's okay! That's great news! [emoji]128522[/emoji]