Cat ate feathers

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend gave my cats toys with feathers on the top without me knowing and Kabby ate the feathers off the top I cannot find them anywhere and he probably swallowed them.

Should I be concerned or will he just barf them back up? There was about 5 missing.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing they are small feathers? Not like big peacock feathers or something? Cats eat birds including some small feathers, so they will likely puke them up fairly quickly or they just get pooped out (they are not digestible) normally without issue. I would just keep an eye on him for the next couple days (should pass through with in 48 hours), make sure he is acting normal, as well as eating, drink, and pooping ok. The only issue is on rare occasions they can poke into the throat (you would notice gagging by now), or poke in the stomach or intestine, causing vomiting and pain.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine eat a whole bird, beak, feet and feathers but the whole lot passed through his system. Check his poop, not nice I know, you should see the feathers pass through in a day or so. I give mine a small pea size blob of plain vasaline, it seems to help.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were they real feathers or artificial ones, the kind they put on toys, all colored and bright? I would be more scared if the feathers were artificial.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Craft feathers I believe or coloured chicken feathers. I'm more concerned of them getting stuck and him not being able to cough them up. He is still acting hungry though and otherwise like himself. I guess I will keep an eye on him for now.

A friend of mine brought the toys over and gave them to him I didn't know until the feathers where already in his gut that he was given these toys. I always try to avoid giving him toys that have strings or feathers because I know he will tear them to shreds and eat the pieces. Either that or I cut them off before giving them to him.

He's 13 years old so maybe I worry about him too much. I just want to enjoy him for as long as we can be together. My cats are like my children.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my outdoor cats often eat birds and a lot of feathers. I often find piles of thrown-up feathers after. I think they are like owls and eat most everything and throw up what they can't digest.....