Cat Ate Dog's Flea Medicine

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy, my 1 yr old tortie female, ate my 80 lb Husky's flea / tick preventative (Simparica - 80mg) this morning on accident. I had just opened the blister pack, and was rooting around in the fridge for some cheese to get Mondo (the dog) to take his meds, since he won't eat it plain. I left it on the kitchen counter for only a minute, but that's all it took. I couldn't find it anywhere when I went back.
I initially thought that our other cat, Mog, ate it since he's not at all picky / more curious, and called the ASPCA poison control line. (Side note: they have a $65 fee to help you, but they are amazing.) They said to expect vomiting, but that so long as the cat didn't have muscle spasms, he should be fine. They mentioned that only a few cats experience neurological symptoms and convulsions, but that it is serious when they do. About two hours later, we noticed Lucy wouldn't come out from under the sofa. We just got back from being out of town, and had my mother-in-law pet sitting, so we thought she was just more skittish than normal. But when we finally got her out from under the sofa, and picked her up, we felt her muscles twitching and convulsing all over, and she was drooling. Naturally, we realized it was she who ate the medicine, and raced to the vet.

Now, our normal vet was closing early (they said the Dr. was sick,) and we had to go to another of their affiliates. They gave her anti convulsive meds and iv fluids and supposedly watched her for a couple of hours, then sent her home. They said if she convulses to bring her back into the emergency vet for observation, because they closed at 5:30. When asked about her condition during the few hours she spent there, nobody seemed to know what kind of symptoms she was exhibiting, so I am skeptical that they even watched her. They left in an IV catheter in her arm in case we have to run to the 24/7 emergency vet, and we have to return tomorrow for catheter removal. We noticed a few vomits around the house in her normal hiding spots, and our other cat is acting normal, so we are quite sure that she ingested it at this point. Still, I feel like we don't know any more than we did when we called the poison control. They didn't seem to have a time frame for how long symptoms will last.

Currently, I have her isolated with me in the guest room, with plenty of safe spots and blankets and a donut e collar on. She is acting a little strangely (playing in the small bit of cat litter I have for her, and starting at every noise,) but she has been this way before immediately after her spay. She is not happy about the catheter or e collar.

Has anyone else had their cat experience adverse reactions, especially neurological, from accidental dosing of dog flea meds? How long did the symptoms take to go away? Or did they? I feel so bad for letting her get into the medicine, and any knowledge my fellow TCS members can impart would be so appreciated!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! What a scare but it sounds like she is on her way to recovery. I haven't been in the situation but it sounds like you've done everything you can. Healing vibes for a full recovery :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my! What a scare but it sounds like she is on her way to recovery. I haven't been in the situation but it sounds like you've done everything you can. Healing vibes for a full recovery :vibes:
Thanks! The vet never mentioned whether or not she should try to eat anything. Do you think it would hurt to give her any food and see if she keeps it down? She's drinking water like crazy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she is thirsty I'd offer wet food, but I would think that food will help her body work through the medicine.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since she is thirsty I'd offer wet food, but I would think that food will help her body work through the medicine.
Thanks for your input! She ate a little bit of wet as soon as I put it down.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy's accidental ingestion of your dog's flea prevention medicine. It's my understanding that the longer shaking/convulsions last the greater the danger. Thankfully she is home and isolated in your guest room. Just out of curiosity, did the vet mention how long it takes for the chemicals to get out of your cat's system? Zooming special thoughts and healing vibes your way for Lucy. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy's accidental ingestion of your dog's flea prevention medicine. It's my understanding that the longer shaking/convulsions last the greater the danger. Thankfully she is home and isolated in your guest room. Just out of curiosity, did the vet mention how long it takes for the chemicals to get out of your cat's system? Zooming special thoughts and healing vibes your way for Lucy. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! I'm so stressed with worry and guilt.
The convulsions became much more far apart in interval, and much less severe, as the night went on. She mostly stayed up on the guest bed with me, and I noticed that she'd start to have them seemingly only once she fell asleep. We woke up multiple times in the night and this cycle repeated. I was able to observe her carefully for about 2.5 hrs before the vet took out her IV catheter this am, and she seemed to be more active and no convulsions. They told me that if they worsen, or don't completely be go away in five days to bring her back. It sounds like a long time to be showing symptoms still, in my opinion; especially after what you said about the convulsions.

She's home now, without IV or e collar, but still not feeling 100%. I'm hoping there isn't any lasting neurological problems from this incident. She'll have to be home for a few hours while we are at work (I'm going in late to minimize her time unsupervised.) I think I'll keep her separated still, just in case. I'm trying to setup my iPad to record the room so I can check on her with my phone. Lol, maybe that's a bit crazy, but I gotta do what I can. :dunno:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy was feeling much better upon my return! Almost back to her normal behavior, and no noticeable tremors or convulsions. Certainly not like before.

As an aside, I must say that the iPad setup was a poor choice for my needs. I wish I hadn't done it, because every move she made was stunted and laggy from the technology, and I kept wondering if she was moving weirdly or not. A coworker who is younger and more technologically adept pointed out that FaceTime / Skype programs always look like that, and reminded me that she was standing, so she seemed to be ok.
Considering how severe her reaction was, I decided to (try) to stop watching, as I was only torturing myself. Maybe if someone had a nest cam or something with decent bandwidth, it would be fine, or was looking for different symptoms / behavior. My two cents, in case anyone else is in a similar situation: it was a worthwhile attempt, but iPads are not reliable for observing a cat.