Cat ate clay sculpture!

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats appears to have eaten a small air dry clay figurine I made the other day. It had no paint on it and the package says "natural stone clay". I can't find the figure anywhere, but I found little bits and pieces of it.

From what I've been able to find from searching the web, I need to be worried about intestinal blockage.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Has anyone had a cat eat a clay figurine? I've read of cats eating clay litter, which is not good for them and can cause problems over time.

I'm kind of freaked out and I hope my baby will be ok. Would giving pumpkin help at all to cause the clay to pass through??

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE, call your vet for advice first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I guess you've done your research and found out about the blockage thing, and also that the actual eating of it can mean nutritional deficiencies.

In either case you really do need to talk to your vet.  But have a look at what is left and try to work out exactly how much your cat has eaten.

I wouldn't be giving stuff like pumpkin as it's roughage, and if there's a blockage it just won't get through. 

Let us know how you're going..

Last edited:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess you've done your research and found out about the blockage thing, and also that the actual eating of it can mean nutritional deficiencies.

In either case you really do need to talk to your vet.  But have a look at what is left and try to work out exactly how much your cat has eaten.

I wouldn't be giving stuff like pumpkin as it's roughage, and if there's a blockage it just won't get through. 

Let us know how you're going..
While I agree with you that I don't think it'll help in this case if there is a problem, pumpkin can actually be a useful aid in treating diarrhea.

The cat won't get anything nutritionally out of it, but that actually helps in this case. The fibers stay intact and this can help the GI tract produce more solid feces with less water loss.

I used this to help my elder kitty with medication-related diarrhea (she had to be on the medication -- there were no other alternatives). It was a lot gentler than any of the medicinal options, so my vet recommended it, actually.

Pumpkin has no business in a healthy cat's diet, but just because it's not necessarily something they should eat for the sake of it doesn't mean it can't be useful in some circumstances.

But yeah, I agree with the others. To the vet! Blockages can be bad, bad news, so you want to make sure everything's ok as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did call the vet and the person I spoke to reccomended just keeping an eye on things for signs of trouble. So far they all seem to be doing ok. God willing it will stay that way.

If I'd had any idea any of them would be interested in eating that clay figure, I never would have left it out where they could get it. A word of caution to everyone not to make the same mistake I made. I didn't even realize that some cats like eating clay.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I did call the vet and the person I spoke to reccomended just keeping an eye on things for signs of trouble. So far they all seem to be doing ok. God willing it will stay that way.

If I'd had any idea any of them would be interested in eating that clay figure, I never would have left it out where they could get it. A word of caution to everyone not to make the same mistake I made. I didn't even realize that some cats like eating clay.
It could be worth just looking into diet as eating clay can be a sign of, I believe, anemia or mineral/vitamin deficiency.
Glad to hear things are ok so far.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be worth just looking into diet as eating clay can be a sign of, I believe, anemia or mineral/vitamin deficiency.

Glad to hear things are ok so far.:)
If you haven't had blood work done recently, it's worth checking. Eating litter is definitely a sign of anemia (though not always). Wish we'd taken Tuxedo to the vet sooner when he ate litter. FYI, most clumping litter is a type of bentonite clay. You don't even need to pay for the full blood work up if you don't want the expense. To run just the hematocrit to check for anemia should run about $15. At least that's what it is here.

FYI, at the time our vet didn't think eating litter was an indication of anything. He knows better now.

How's your kitty doing today? :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

agentspooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not positive who did and didn't eat pieces of the clay sculpture, though I'm pretty sure one in particular did eat some of it. They all seem alright so far!

I've never used clay litter with these cats and haven't really had clay around them before, so this hasn't happened before.

I hope there's not a deficiency. I feel them good quality, natural food though I know everyone has their own opinions on what is best to feed (some say strictly raw, which I'm not prepared to feed right now). I'm low on funds right now but I will keep in mind getting a blood test done to make sure everything's in order.

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a clay owl figurine that my cat Molly tries to gnaw on...but I think in her case it was just teething because she will gnaw on the ceramic, wood,and glass owl "ears" too if she can get to them...and the wall hooks, and the door stopper...apparently she feels they are the perfect teething toys...

Pmiller86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats appears to have eaten a small air dry clay figurine I made the other day. It had no paint on it and the package says "natural stone clay". I can't find the figure anywhere, but I found little bits and pieces of it.

From what I've been able to find from searching the web, I need to be worried about intestinal blockage.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Has anyone had a cat eat a clay figurine? I've read of cats eating clay litter, which is not good for them and can cause problems over time.

I'm kind of freaked out and I hope my baby will be ok. Would giving pumpkin help at all to cause the clay to pass through??

Hi! Did you figure this out? My cat is doing the same thing all of a sudden, only I do Ceramics for a living so it’s a big problem!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is 5 years old but as previously mentioned I would check what you are feeding your cat and make sure there are no nutritional deficiencies and watch the cat for any issues. Depending on how much the cat ate.

Pmiller86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize it is old but didn’t think that mattered as it’s the same subject. I am feeding my cat well balanced cat food, along with a mix of other treats and snacks.. he’s not eating a lot of clay, just licking the outside of an unfired pot... so he’s not ingesting much when he does find some... and have been watching For issues of course but was hoping someone would have further insight.