Cat ate a large rubber band

Christinenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She ate it this morning. Brought her to the Vet but he wanted to keep her and call me later so I brought her home. She seems normal now and ate her breakfast right after she ate the rubber band and then had a big dinner tonight. I hope she will be OK. Any ones cat did this and what was the outcome?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never had an incident with a rubber band. There have been others on this site - some with no issues, others with problems from it, so there is no way to know what the outcome will be for your cat. Continue to monitor her, check her stool for remnants of the rubber band, and most definitely call the vet if she stops eating/drinking, starts vomiting, or acts otherwise odd.

Kee

High Velocity
Young Cat
Purraise
There's nothing you can do right now. If she starts refusing to eat or seems otherwise unwell, unable to poop properly and whatnot, take her to a vet. She will likely need surgery if that's the case since it would have wrapped around a bit of her intestine or something which would cause a blockage.

I don't mean to scare you, but you should definitely keep an eye on her and maybe take a sick day or ask a neighbour to check on her if you're out. It's pretty likely that she'll just pass it on her own. Check her poop!

I'm sure she'll be fine

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely needs to pass it. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner stated, we can’t predict the outcome but this kind of thing is something we do see here. Good advice given about watching to be sure she is eating drinking and going to the box okay. If she seems lethargic or in pain , that’s another sign of a problem. Check her poop so you know when it has passed. Please let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She definitely needs to pass it. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner stated, we can’t predict the outcome but this kind of thing is something we do see here. Good advice given about watching to be sure she is eating drinking and going to the box okay. If she seems lethargic or in pain , that’s another sign of a problem. Check her poop so you know when it has passed. Please let us know.
Thanks, she is eating alot and pooping.....I saw some of it had come out. She is acting normal and her stomach isn't sore to the touch. Just praying that it all goes right through. It's been 2 1/2 days now. I will take her to the Vet if she starts showing any bad signs.

Christinenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will let you know! She seems fine so far 2 1/2 days....eating and using the litter. I just hope it can all go right through.

Christinenj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sunday morning.......good news......she is pooping out quite a bit of the rubber band. I have been feeding her alot of wet food and am giving her some laxitone (tuna flavored) which she loves. I am taking her to the Vet tomorrow for him to look her over.& she needs a check up. Thanks for all your responses!