Cat asthma?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So on top of the black nose and possible plastic allergy I think my cat might of had and asthma attack last night.
He started coughing but it doesn’t sound the same as when the other cat has a hair ball and he stays as low to the ground as he can. I gave him his nose drops Incase his nose was blocked by the allergy again and some hair ball meds but it didn’t help I didn’t know what to besides listening to him all night. This morning he kept sounding like he had a high pitches sound which I think he was wheezing.... he had no energy and was just flopped on the floor laying on his side seems to make him feel worse. My truck is at the shop as I have to use my housemates cigarette smoke filled truck to take him to the vet tomorrow... they promised to come take him out of the truck as soon as I get him there. They seem to be more worried about it being an infection over asthma (because he doesn’t want to eat much) which he does have a history of but it was never super bad. Since it’s a day after the attack will anything show when they look at him if it is asthma? I didn’t think about it last night in the hours of panic but if it happens again I’m going to try to get it on video.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So on top of the black nose and possible plastic allergy I think my cat might of had and asthma attack last night.
He started coughing but it doesn’t sound the same as when the other cat has a hair ball and he stays as low to the ground as he can. I gave him his nose drops Incase his nose was blocked by the allergy again and some hair ball meds but it didn’t help I didn’t know what to besides listening to him all night. This morning he kept sounding like he had a high pitches sound which I think he was wheezing.... he had no energy and was just flopped on the floor laying on his side seems to make him feel worse. My truck is at the shop as I have to use my housemates cigarette smoke filled truck to take him to the vet tomorrow... they promised to come take him out of the truck as soon as I get him there. They seem to be more worried about it being an infection over asthma (because he doesn’t want to eat much) which he does have a history of but it was never super bad. Since it’s a day after the attack will anything show when they look at him if it is asthma? I didn’t think about it last night in the hours of panic but if it happens again I’m going to try to get it on video.
That is a good idea as it could be helpful to his care team, solusumbra solusumbra . *PRAYERS* for your cat! Please let us know of his vet visit and how he is doing.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will probably take xrays, which might help with diagnosing asthma, but not always. Bloodwork can be helpful too. A video would be good if you can get it. The type of coughing you describe can also be attributed to heart disease, and they can do a simply test for that as well. It's called a BNP. But with the wheezing, it certainly sounds like asthma to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope it doesn’t happen again but at the same time I wish I could get it on video, to bad we don’t always think clearly in the moment and half asleep.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh.... his eyes and nose look really good this morning, he started playing around with his sister this morning and even asked me for breakfast... I feel almost stupid for panicking over that 1 night of coughing. But I know it wasn’t a nightmare and I don’t want to be helpless if it happens again.

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to needlessly worry you, but my cat showed similar symptoms. My (former) vet kind of blew me off saying she wasn’t asthmatic. I’ve since learned breathing issues can be sign of heart problems. Wish I had known as my cat died at only 4 years old of a heart attack. Not saying this is the case for you, but I would not ignore it entirely.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not to needlessly worry you, but my cat showed similar symptoms. My (former) vet kind of blew me off saying she wasn’t asthmatic. I’ve since learned breathing issues can be sign of heart problems. Wish I had known as my cat died at only 4 years old of a heart attack. Not saying this is the case for you, but I would not ignore it entirely.
Yea I’m keeping my app for today and will see what happens.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back and she said she didn’t hear anything that makes her worry about his heart but she hear enough sounds from his lungs to say he does have asthma. She has him on and antibiotic and prednisone. I asked about an inhaler since the pills are only short term for when and it another attack hits. She said it’s kind of rare and it’s been awhile so she wants to look up information on the inhaler before saying which ones he can have. It will be nice if he can use mine as well since I don’t use mine much.