Cat Asthma: Have You Heard Inhalers Might Stop Working???

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello friends with cats that have asthma,

Gannicus started using the inhaler in April. We recently moved and have a new vet. The vet was hesitant to approve the prescription for an inhaler for two reasons:

1) He felt uncomfortable with me ordering from Canada and not the U.S.
2) A pharmacist has informed him that soon there will be a change in a lot of the inhalers, removing the air canister or something... basically making it impossible for cats and dogs to use but only possible for humans. He said that now he is recommending people use a Nebulizer for their animals. Have any of you heard of this change yet?

In the end, he will fax a prescription to the pharmacy in Canada for me as in the description it still says "aerosol." ... although I did get a little "lecture" (politely) about how the FDA protects the U.S. and our drugs are safe even though they are expensive. Although when he did see the price difference, he seemed to realize it's a huge difference and so I think he was understanding, even though he was reluctant.

Anyway--- have you heard about this change? Anyone's cat using a nebulizer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, yes. My vet mentioned the Diskus powder inhalers... he said the rumor is that this type of inhaler will become dominate and they'll stop making the other ones.

My husband is also a pharmacist, so when he gets home today I'll see if he can look into this information also. He might be able to find out...

My vet said we can get the inhaler this time but wanted me to know in the future it might not be possible anymore. He said the nebulizer will also be used with a mask, but that it would probably be needed to be held to the face for longer than just 10 breaths.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi tnbsp.

If I were you, I'd put that question to the experts....people who have been managing their cats' asthma for years.

There are two specialized online communities for asthmatic kitty 'owners' - here's a post I made for someone else with all the info: specialized feline asthma groups

Hope that helps.
Thanks white shadow!

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, yes. My vet mentioned the Diskus powder inhalers... he said the rumor is that this type of inhaler will become dominate and they'll stop making the other ones.

My husband is also a pharmacist, so when he gets home today I'll see if he can look into this information also. He might be able to find out...

My vet said we can get the inhaler this time but wanted me to know in the future it might not be possible anymore. He said the nebulizer will also be used with a mask, but that it would probably be needed to be held to the face for longer than just 10 breaths.

It really is none of your Vet's business where you get your prescription filled. Have him give you prescription and you can send it. I don't know about Flovent but people do buy Asthma drugs from foreign Pharmacies with no problems. I have COPD and buy 2 of mine overseas with no problem and no prescription. I think I would consider seeing a different Vet. also.

Cat Asthma Where To Get Meds

Online Pharmacies For Cheaper Meds

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello friends with cats that have asthma,

Gannicus started using the inhaler in April. We recently moved and have a new vet. The vet was hesitant to approve the prescription for an inhaler for two reasons:

1) He felt uncomfortable with me ordering from Canada and not the U.S.
2) A pharmacist has informed him that soon there will be a change in a lot of the inhalers, removing the air canister or something... basically making it impossible for cats and dogs to use but only possible for humans. He said that now he is recommending people use a Nebulizer for their animals. Have any of you heard of this change yet?

In the end, he will fax a prescription to the pharmacy in Canada for me as in the description it still says "aerosol." ... although I did get a little "lecture" (politely) about how the FDA protects the U.S. and our drugs are safe even though they are expensive. Although when he did see the price difference, he seemed to realize it's a huge difference and so I think he was understanding, even though he was reluctant.

Anyway--- have you heard about this change? Anyone's cat using a nebulizer?
I have an Asthmatic kitty and I am a canuk :-) The medicine given to Charlie, my cat, is the exact same as they give a human. The difference is a lower dose though. The Aerocat used to deliver the medication is similar to that you would use for a small child.

Was it a Canadian pharmacist that told you about them stopping?

Your vet must be kidding about a Nebulizer.

I swear we have drug regulations here too. Worse than most. I can't even get flea medication (advantage II etc) without a vets prescription and the cat seeing the vet in person. Same with most of the good dewormers. I can't even get Feliway without a vet either. No joke. It's frustrating. :-(

Thank Goodness I live right beside my beautiful USA neighbors. I get to go for a road trip to see you all!

It really is none of your Vet's business where you get your prescription filled. Have him give you prescription and you can send it. I don't know about Flovent but people do buy Asthma drugs from foreign Pharmacies with no problems. I have COPD and buy 2 of mine overseas with no problem and no prescription. I think I would consider seeing a different Vet. also.

Cat Asthma Where To Get Meds

Online Pharmacies For Cheaper Meds
I have to agree here. There are some red flags with this vet.

Charlie goes to the Vet on Monday. I am happy to inquire and get confirmed or rebutted what your vet has said to help you feel better. :-)

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha. Yeah... F FeralHearts ; so I have no idea who the pharmacist is that the vet spoke to. The person was from the U.S., not Canada. (that part was unrelated to the Canada part lol)
That's so interesting you guys need a script for feliway. Also, I should mention... flovent here and there,... it's the exact same thing. I got no problems with it... just this new vet seemed to, and I disagree with him. But there's only two vets in town and i'm moving soon so I just want the prescription.

Also, my husband did some research tonight (he's a pharmacist, actually)... the vet is confused, to put it simple. It's about a different type of inhaler, not flovent (floxitide)

Stinky15 Stinky15 I agree with you too! I wanted the hard copy. The receptionist said that would work... but then when I was on the phone today the vet wanted to know and seemed to rather fax it in than just let me have a hard copy. meeeh.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha. Yeah... F FeralHearts ; so I have no idea who the pharmacist is that the vet spoke to. The person was from the U.S., not Canada. (that part was unrelated to the Canada part lol)
That's so interesting you guys need a script for feliway. Also, I should mention... flovent here and there,... it's the exact same thing. I got no problems with it... just this new vet seemed to, and I disagree with him. But there's only two vets in town and i'm moving soon so I just want the prescription.

Also, my husband did some research tonight (he's a pharmacist, actually)... the vet is confused, to put it simple. It's about a different type of inhaler, not flovent (floxitide)
It's seems we need one for everything. Yet today we legalized pot - but lord forbid I want Feliway or Flea meds! LOL!

Yes we need a script for Flovent too. That's what Charlie is on. It helps him a lot.

Husband for the win!

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I have no information on asthma meds but...

:hijack:

It's seems we need one for everything. Yet today we legalized pot - but lord forbid I want Feliway or Flea meds! LOL!
This made me laugh and spit tea all over my laptop (I'm British, we always have tea)

:flail::flail::flail:

I hope you get all your med questions answered I'm going back to play with the cats (just FYI, here in the UK we don't need prescriptions for flea treatments or Feliway).

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update you all on my veterinarian here:

I found out that even though they vet sent in my prescription to drugmart.com for the inhaler, he only sent it in for one canister!

No refills? What?? ,... ugh so frustrated. one canister only lasts me 2 months, max.. My previous veterinarian's prescriptions got me 4 canisters. err.. I'm not sure if this is because he is scared of liability? I called and the vet isn't working today so I have to wait until Monday to see if he'll rewrite the prescription.

EspiKvlt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I get my cat's asthma medication from Canada, too. I've had absolutely no problem and pay more than half the price of the same American medication.

Hopefully your pharmacist is wrong about them discontinuing the regular inhaler because that's extremely concerning. =/

EspiKvlt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to a new vet today because I moved to get a refill on my cat's prescription and got told the laws about getting drugs from Canada have apparently changed. I told him that's the only way I can afford her asthma medicine. From Canada I'm paying $100/4 months and in America that same medicine costs $250/month. I just got laid off from my job and couldn't even afford it before, let alone now. He said he'll get back to me with a solution in a couple days but I am so stressed out and honestly wish I had just not told him that's where I was getting her medicine so he'd just write me the prescription. Then if it didn't work for whatever reason we could figure it out from there.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee.....Border Security/Customs and Excise Agent......are you sure you saw a Veterinarian?

Quite frankly, I don't see that where you get a prescription filled is any of his bloody business. Examination of the cat, diagnosis, prescribing a remedy and periodically re-checking the cat's health before renewing the remedy: those are within his purview - nothing more.

I'd be very upset as well......hang in though, it will work out!

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to a new vet today because I moved to get a refill on my cat's prescription and got told the laws about getting drugs from Canada have apparently changed. I told him that's the only way I can afford her asthma medicine. From Canada I'm paying $100/4 months and in America that same medicine costs $250/month. I just got laid off from my job and couldn't even afford it before, let alone now. He said he'll get back to me with a solution in a couple days but I am so stressed out and honestly wish I had just not told him that's where I was getting her medicine so he'd just write me the prescription. Then if it didn't work for whatever reason we could figure it out from there.
What did he prescribe? Many are buying from overseas. I personally buy my COPD/Asthma Inhalers from India. If there has been a law change I have seen no mention of it on a COPD board I visit regularly. In fact I have some on order now, should be here in another week. What I have read is that they will allow up to a 3 month supply for your personal drug.

Last edited:

EspiKvlt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What did he prescribe? Many are buying from overseas.
He didn't. He told me to wait a couple days so he can figure out the best way for me to get my refill.

But the medicine I buy from Canada is Flixotide.