Cat arthritis medications and supplements: NSAIDs, Endo Blend, Agile Joints?

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, my cat Mumu has arthritis in her joints and hips, and has been getting laser and Adequan treatments for a full year. In the last month, she has been laying down a lot more, not walking around as much, even with these treatments. We're gonna keep doing both the laser and Adequan, but I had given her gabapentin as prescribed by her primary vet, and it really didn't make a difference and she was miserable from getting the meds. The physical therapy vet suggested a phytocannabinoid product called Endo Blend or a herb-based, non cannabid product called Agile Joints. I'm honestly not that confident in these kinds of treatments that haven't been studied a lot, and when I tried a pet CBD product a couple of years ago, I saw no difference. I wish she could just get the Metacam NSAIDs that they use in Europe for cats, but her vet really is resistant to trying it because my cat has early kidney disease. Has anyone tried Endo Blend or Agile Joints for their cats, and did you see any difference? Has anyone successfully persuaded their vet in the US to give prescribe Metacam for arthritis pain, and at what dosage?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Information about the Boxed Warning on METACAM® (meloxicam) Labels

You probably already know that Metacam is not approved for cats, but used off label by some vets. I have never used it for a cat but, personally, the warnings would concern me.

Metacam post dental surgery
Metacam For Cats: The Pros And Cons Of Meloxicam For Pain Relief – TheCatSite Articles

The first of the above links is to a thread and the second is to an article from the site.

I am not telling you what to do or what you should not do, so please don't take offense. Like you, I have been unhappy, under other circumstances, with CBD products for relief.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask your vet about tolfenamic acid and whether or not that has been approved for use in the US. I had to search for the name because I was going off of some data I had remembered reading about it being 'better' in terms of risks than Metacam. However, I was unable to find out much. Maybe it is something your vet would be willing to look into and perhaps even pursue - the last I recall is that it was used for dogs/cats in Canada (and Europe).

EDIT: I also found this:
"Tricyclic antidepressants including amitriptyline, clomipramine, and imipramine can provide relief in people with chronic neuropathic pain and are thought to alter the actions of serotonin and norepinephrine both centrally and peripherally.13 Anecdotal reports suggest that amitriptyline (between 2.5 and 12.5 mg for an adult cat orally once a day) may be effective for chronic pain syndromes in cats including osteoarthritis." Osteoarthritis in cats: Treatment (dvm360.com)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the links and for the information about tolfenamic acid. I will ask my vet about the tolfenamic acid for my cat on her next visit. It looks like it's approved for short term use (5 days), but maybe there isn't an official warning against long term use. I know that there is a black box warning for metacam in cats in the US, but it seems quite widely available in Europe and the EU's drug approval process is said to be even stricter than in the US. My vet knows that they do use Metacam in Europe, but obviously is nervous about going off label with a black box medication. I wish there were more cat studies done in the US about metacam, so they can either remove the black box warning or definitively show the dangerous effects. And that they can study and design more pain relief options for cats! The CBD options just haven't worked for my cat, despite the big craze for it. :ohwell:

KelseyKatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried glucosamine? Glucosamine acts as a mild anti-inflammatory and is used by the joints to make cartilage components and by the urinary tract for protection.

Have you tried chondroitin? Chondroitin inhibits destruction and promotes production of cartilage components. Sometimes these are used in combination with other joint supplement nutrients.

There are potential uncommon, mild side effects with these which may include mild gas and soft stools.

Have you tried green-lipped mussels? These mussels contain large amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, chondroitin and glycosaminoglycans. The compounds in green-lipped mussels may help protect and repair cartilage, lubricate joints, reduce inflammation and relieve pain.

Have you tried hyaluronic acid? Naturally occurring hyaluronic acid is responsible for the sticky consistency of joint fluid. Since it retains water, this acid promotes lubrication and strengthens connective tissue while also decreasing joint inflammation, all of which makes it easier for pets to stay comfortably active.

I recommend NaturVet Arthrisoothe-GOLD Hip and Joint stage 3 Advanced Formula. It has the highest doses I've found of each ingredient I listed including MSM. It is safe for cats over 12 weeks of age and it comes in a delicious chew.

Attachments