Cat and New Kitten playing?

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! We got a new kitten and our cat seems to be taking her well, he was hissing and growling at her at first, but now he hasn't done either in 5 days (assume he is used to her).

I am not sure if they are playing, but when he gets close to her (more in a corner) he swats at the kitten.

I can't tell if that is playing or what.. He isn't growling, hissing or arched back when doing this.

I am just confused

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, sometimes cats do a "get away from me!" swat on new cats. Sometimes they chase a bit, then swat. Its not the same as fighting, but its certainly not friendly either. Usually there would still be some growling or hissing if you were still at that stage though.

Sometimes swatting can be used to initiate play as well. Its like poke-poke-play with me? Poke, poke, how about now?

There are other situations swats come up in too, but they dont seem to fit your situation. What else is going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi A ArtNJ thank you!. He sits and watches her and follows her around with a meow chirp but not a hiss or growl which is why I suspected no ill will at this time.

It is more when she is backed into a corner he does it... she hisses at him LOl

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess he is frustrated she doesn't want to play yet and using a swat to try and get it going on. A playful swat is often more like a bop on the head. Sometimes you can even tell from the posture that the bopper is ready to run if a chase is successfully instigated. Not a bad thing per se, at least not comparatively speaking; a lot of times they will just pounce the kitten and play bite neck.

Sounds like they just need time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect it is a combination of fear and fascination. He follows her because he is still checking her out . He slaps because she hisses and she hisses because he slaps. Rather mild reaction to one another that will probably improve fairly quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat is still swatting at the kitten. Should I kick him out of the room when he does it?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hasn't been long and it sounds like they are working it out. If the kitten is not frightened or hiding let them be.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t interfere unless those slaps are resulting in scratches on the kitten or if the kitten acts terrified.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind seeing a video. I feel like swatting in play or to trigger play is easy to recognize if you've seen it before, so we could at least rule that in or our for you.