Cat and New Kitten Got Chronic Diarrhea

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,

I'm seeking answers for my 3 year old baby boy and my new kitten.. Both neutered, with up to date shots, both have diarrhea for about 4 weeks now. I only noticed the 3yos diarrhea and ignored the kittens till last week as I thought it's because he was eating wet food. Though the kitten also has diarrhea, the 3yo has it worse.

First treatment plan: The vet put 3yo on proviable 8 days ago and we had seen zero improvement by day 3. The vet thought the diarrhea was stress induced as we got a new kitten. At day 4 I finally realized the kitten has diarrhea too and wanted to do fecal test for both. However my finicky boy only would go to the box in the middle of the night so I could only get stool sample of the kitten. The clinic did a regular fecal test and it came out negative for basic parasites but his bad bacteria was apparently high but not too high.

2nd treatment plan: At that point the vet put BOTH on metronidazole and amoxicillin along with proviable. She thinks it might be bacteria infection but apparently it's very very rare since they're both indoors. Her suggestion was to just watch it. But I insisted on at least some treatment. That's when she prescribed metronidazole and amoxicillin. I was told it should work in 1-2 days and if it doesn't by day 7, she'd do a PCR for parasites that I've been begging her to do.

We're on day 4 now of Metronidazole, amoxicillin and proviable and are seeing 0 improvement on either baby. If anything it's gradually getting worse, frequency and texture wise. I don't know what to do. Someone said that probiotics and amoxicillin sometimes does the opposite and instead causes more diarrhea!

I should mention we have not been fortunate enough to have a vet who cares or returns calls in an appropriate or timely manner. I have looked up IBD and liver disease and kidney disease and I'm just hoping it's none of that. 3yo is on Hill's science diet adult food with zero history of stomach issues up until now. 3mo is on Hill's science diet kitten food. I just don't see how would both have stress induced chronic diarrhea for 4 weeks.. while the 3yo is finicky, the 3mo adjusted pretty well.

At this point I'm just so frustrated.. I can't decide if I should just continue with all three medicine or stop the amoxicillin and proviable and just give them the metronidazole.

Please help.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stop all foods, only give chicken or turkey baby food, you can mix in some white rice for weight, it will stay with them longer. But add a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to each of their baby foods. Its always a good idea to provide pediolyte clear when kitties have diarrhea to prevent dehydration but some cats won't drink it.
Feed baby food/pumpkin/rice mix for 2 days. Third day start slowly adding their regular food back in over 2 days so by the 4th night they will show their systems are settled down.
If not, and both still have diarrhea, ask vet for ponazuril.

Ebsyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello friends,

I'm seeking answers for my 3 year old baby boy and my new kitten.. Both neutered, with up to date shots, both have diarrhea for about 4 weeks now. I only noticed the 3yos diarrhea and ignored the kittens till last week as I thought it's because he was eating wet food. Though the kitten also has diarrhea, the 3yo has it worse.

First treatment plan: The vet put 3yo on proviable 8 days ago and we had seen zero improvement by day 3. The vet thought the diarrhea was stress induced as we got a new kitten. At day 4 I finally realized the kitten has diarrhea too and wanted to do fecal test for both. However my finicky boy only would go to the box in the middle of the night so I could only get stool sample of the kitten. The clinic did a regular fecal test and it came out negative for basic parasites but his bad bacteria was apparently high but not too high.

2nd treatment plan: At that point the vet put BOTH on metronidazole and amoxicillin along with proviable. She thinks it might be bacteria infection but apparently it's very very rare since they're both indoors. Her suggestion was to just watch it. But I insisted on at least some treatment. That's when she prescribed metronidazole and amoxicillin. I was told it should work in 1-2 days and if it doesn't by day 7, she'd do a PCR for parasites that I've been begging her to do.

We're on day 4 now of Metronidazole, amoxicillin and proviable and are seeing 0 improvement on either baby. If anything it's gradually getting worse, frequency and texture wise. I don't know what to do. Someone said that probiotics and amoxicillin sometimes does the opposite and instead causes more diarrhea!

I should mention we have not been fortunate enough to have a vet who cares or returns calls in an appropriate or timely manner. I have looked up IBD and liver disease and kidney disease and I'm just hoping it's none of that. 3yo is on Hill's science diet adult food with zero history of stomach issues up until now. 3mo is on Hill's science diet kitten food. I just don't see how would both have stress induced chronic diarrhea for 4 weeks.. while the 3yo is finicky, the 3mo adjusted pretty well.

At this point I'm just so frustrated.. I can't decide if I should just continue with all three medicine or stop the amoxicillin and proviable and just give them the metronidazole.

Please help.
Did you ever figure out what this was?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever figure out what this was?

They had a really bad stomach infection that they were passing on to each other. The new kitty had brought it from the shelter. We are just super thankful that it wasn't IBD or parasites or FIP. We did 2 PCRs and it came back negative. After months of on and off my boys are good now, knock on woods. But I know my little one has a very sensitive stomach, not sure if it has anything to do with him being a flame point siamese. But I keep a very strict eye on both of their bowel movements. It was so horrible and frustrating for months. I won't wish this upon my worst enemy. I'm just glad my babies are good now.