Cat and kitten watch each other use litter box

loonymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I just adopted a kitten about three weeks ago (almost 4 months old now). My adult cat (between 2 and 3 years) took to the kitten after having them separated for a few days, and now they play, clean, and nap together. My adult cat has not been territorial in any way in the past two weeks, including allowing the kitten to eat off her plate. We still separate for eating (because kitten will eat cat's food and cat doesn't shoo kitten away) so cat's food isn't threatened. When they're separated like this, cat will typically wait outside the door of the room kitten is in. Long story short: they seem love each other/have developed a friendship.

They are doing something weird and I haven't seen anything about this online or in the forums: watch each other use the litter box. We have a 1 bedroom apartment with two litter boxes, one uncovered and one covered. The watching happens when either of them use either box. They don't show any signs of being distressed, they just seem curious. I have never seen cats do this but I know to be watchful of one trying to 'ambush' the other - I don't think that's what's happening though. This isn't really a problem I'm looking to solve, just wondering if anyone else experienced with after integrating a new cat into the home or if there's a reason why they do this.

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the kitten is learning from the older cat. Kittens tent to copy what other cats does, good or bad behavior. I think you're lucky to have to cats living happily together with such a huge difference in age!

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they're helping watch out for each other. The kitten might just be copying the adult cat's behavior. My cat usually follows me to the bathroom, sometimes does a walk in to check there's no mice or anything hiding, then walks back outside and sits as if standing guard for me and to keep an eye out.

Pottying is a very vulnerable time for a cat or animal. I read something like this in the thread of why some cats race away after using the litter box.