Cat (and Human) Asthma and Litter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I decided to turn to the hive-mind here for another question that has arisen for me. One of my cats was recently diagnosed with asthma (thought the dx is recent, she has had breathing issues for a while; they just got chalked up to other things before now). I am trying to figure out whether the litter I'm currently using is okay for her, or if I should be changing it. (I also have asthma, so I suppose the answer would be relevant to my wellbeing as well, but I'm more concerned about her since she's the one who has to go hang out in the litter anytime she needs to pee or poop lol).

I'm currently using Okocat's regular formula. It's a clumping wood fibre litter that uses spruce, fir, and pine. I'm a big fan of how well it clumps for a non-clay litter, and also how well it reduces odor compared to other natural litters. However, I am not quite sure whether it's safe for an asthmatic cat. I've come across mixed things online on this subject, and I thought that maybe someone here knows a bit more and/or has navigated the same issue.

I realize that paper pellet litters are very safe in terms of respiratory issues. I have used them in the past, though moved on a while back in order to look for something that was was better for order and scooping. If the Okocat is a big no-no for asthma, I'd be willing to switch. But because it works so well for me, I don't want to just switch to a less convenient litter for no reason, if it's not necessarily a problem for ashtma lol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After researching a bit, the litter you are using should be fine, it is the clay-based dust that had the worst problems. The only other one I saw that may be promising is Dr. Elsey's Respiratory cat litter. You might change to that if the current litter sets off a reaction. You never know, some litters just work better than others, some will set off a reaction and some won't. I would go by how she is reacting when she uses the litter. Any increase in coughing, sneezing when she uses it? If not, continue on. I used to give one of my cat's nebulizer treatments for respiratory problems, they worked very well. you put the cat in a carrier, hang the mouthpiece of the nebulizer on the door, and cover the whole thing with a blanket. 15 minutes later you are done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After researching a bit, the litter you are using should be fine, it is the clay-based dust that had the worst problems. The only other one I saw that may be promising is Dr. Elsey's Respiratory cat litter. You might change to that if the current litter sets off a reaction. You never know, some litters just work better than others, some will set off a reaction and some won't. I would go by how she is reacting when she uses the litter. Any increase in coughing, sneezing when she uses it? If not, continue on. I used to give one of my cat's nebulizer treatments for respiratory problems, they worked very well. you put the cat in a carrier, hang the mouthpiece of the nebulizer on the door, and cover the whole thing with a blanket. 15 minutes later you are done!
Thank you for the response! Yes, that is a good point that the most important thing is to watch how she is reacting. So far I haven't noticed an increased reaction associated with the litter; however, it is a bit hard to tell for sure as I'd been paying more attention to the larger breathing cycles she has (i.e., breathing issues flaring up more at certain times of year) than the smaller patterns (like potential issues soon after using the litter). I'll pay closer attention to that going forward so I can see if I am able to pick up on anything.

That sounds like a good technique for the nebulizer! I will keep it mind, as so far I have been using just an inhaler spacer that is made for cats (the aerokat). If that isn't working well for her, I'll look more into the nebulizer!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m a person with asthma with a cat with asthma. I have tried several litters, including Dr. Elsey’s Respiratory Relief, but the one that has worked best for both of us is the SoPhresh unscented grass seed litter. It is lightweight, very low dust and clumps well and is OK at concealing odors. Cons are that it has a specific smell on its own (like grass seed) and it tracks a lot.

I can’t use the pine litter since I have a fairly severe pine allergy. So if you have allergy related asthma that might factor in your decision.

Kittymama2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you tell me how you received the dx of asthma and what your cat's symptoms looked/sounded like? I've noticed that if the litter box isn't clean or there isn't enough litter in the box, one of my kittens will dig for a longer time which naturally kicks up some dust making breathing more difficult. I generally clean the litter out several times a day and am sure it is at least 3 inches full to help prevent excess time in the box. I just switched to Okocat sensitive and am hoping it will work out well.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m a person with asthma with a cat with asthma. I have tried several litters, including Dr. Elsey’s Respiratory Relief, but the one that has worked best for both of us is the SoPhresh unscented grass seed litter. It is lightweight, very low dust and clumps well and is OK at concealing odors. Cons are that it has a specific smell on its own (like grass seed) and it tracks a lot.

I can’t use the pine litter since I have a fairly severe pine allergy. So if you have allergy related asthma that might factor in your decision.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I hadn't heard of that litter before, so I'll definitely look into it. The okocat tracks quite a bit too, so at least it wouldn't exactly be a downgrade in that regard haha

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you tell me how you received the dx of asthma and what your cat's symptoms looked/sounded like? I've noticed that if the litter box isn't clean or there isn't enough litter in the box, one of my kittens will dig for a longer time which naturally kicks up some dust making breathing more difficult. I generally clean the litter out several times a day and am sure it is at least 3 inches full to help prevent excess time in the box. I just switched to Okocat sensitive and am hoping it will work out well.
The main symptoms I noticed were: breathing becoming wheezy at times (sometimes after play, or sometimes just during a time of year when things tend to flare up for her, like spring); recurring congestion; sometimes a kind of cough that sounds like she's trying to clear mucus. I've never seen her have a full-on asthma attack like you see in some feline asthma videos, though (where the cat extends their neck forward and lowers their body, trying to get air in and coughing). For dx, I kind of just explained the symptoms I was noticing and her history, and the vet thought it sounded consistent with asthma, so she did some listening to her lungs and stuff and concluded that it did seem to be the case. Best of luck figuring out what is going on with your kitty!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We settled on Grass seed litter, either SmartCat or Petco’s version - by far the least dusty litter out of all the kittens I tried (natural only, I don’t use clay- DrElsey Respiratory litter I tried was terribly dusty). It tracks, unfortunately, but I still think it’s the best choice for my asthmatic girl.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We settled on Grass seed litter, either SmartCat or Petco’s version - by far the least dusty litter out of all the kittens I tried (natural only, I don’t use clay- DrElsey Respiratory litter I tried was terribly dusty). It tracks, unfortunately, but I still think it’s the best choice for my asthmatic girl.
Thanks for sharing! The grass seed does sound promising. Out of curiosity, have you ever had any issues with your cat trying to eat the litter? My other cat really likes eating grass usually, but I'm not sure if the seed appeals to cats in a similar way.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing! The grass seed does sound promising. Out of curiosity, have you ever had any issues with your cat trying to eat the litter? My other cat really likes eating grass usually, but I'm not sure if the seed appeals to cats in a similar way.
My cats show no interest in eating the grass seed litter.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha seems to suffer from something airborne in the spring and summer. Sneezing, watery eyes. And I have asthma. So I stopped opening the doors and windows when it warms up, and I run air purifiers full time in the family room where we all hang out and in the bedroom…year round. It has really helped.

I’ve used Okocat with no problems. I’m currently using a clumping grass litter—either SmartCat or Abound which is sold in Kroger stores and is cheaper. It clumps (and tracks) really well and is dust free. Mocha doesn’t seem to have any problems with it, and she’s a bit of a digger.

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mocha seems to suffer from something airborne in the spring and summer. Sneezing, watery eyes. And I have asthma. So I stopped opening the doors and windows when it warms up, and I run air purifiers full time in the family room where we all hang out and in the bedroom…year round. It has really helped.

I’ve used Okocat with no problems. I’m currently using a clumping grass litter—either SmartCat or Abound which is sold in Kroger stores and is cheaper. It clumps (and tracks) really well and is dust free. Mocha doesn’t seem to have any problems with it, and she’s a bit of a digger.
Thank you for sharing! My cat also gets sneezy and watery eyes so I think allergies are a facto. I actually bought an air purifier a couple months ago as well -- just a little one, but it's portable and my apartment is pretty small. It does seem to help some! The not opening doors/windows is also a good thing to keep in mind for when the weather warms up down the road.

It sounds like a lot of people like the grass litter! I picked up a bag and hopefully it goes over well with the cats!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Going from Okocat to clumping grass litter shouldn’t be an issue, although I’d still mix it in slowly over time. It’s going from clay to either Okocat or grass that freaks them out because they sink down in it! Clay is so much firmer. When Okocat is on sale, I’ll still use it and just mix the grass and wood together. The cats don’t seem to mind.