cat and bed

lole_beena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PLEASE READ-
I have 2 cats, both male, 7 and 1. Jax the 7 year old finds comfort in his cat bed. Our cats are logged in the basement at night due to my grandfather not being able to see them as well as he use to.
It is not the comfort of him sleeping on the bed but he does a weird thing which I need help figuring out why? is it bad?
He goes on his bed, bites the edge, meows, licks the edge, and tries to move it. He has done this for forever and I cannot seem to see why.
Please help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi lole_beena lole_beena

It sounds like he's scruffing his bed, the way some male cats scruff females in heat or younger males they want to show dominance over. One of my cats has a favourite blanket he does the same thing too.

There's nothing wrong, it's just a habit some cats get into as a way of comforting themselves.

Are both of your boys neutered?

michael broad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is something about the smell of his cat bed which excites him. It may be the smell of you on it, it may be some catnip which is on it although you don't mention that as a possibility, it may even be his own smell which, in detecting it, he is reassured. The excitement leads to the biting. The detection of this smell leads to him licking it. Smell and taste are very closely linked domestic cats particularly. How often do you clean your cat's bed? I'm not saying that you should but if you did it may stop this. I am of course speculating because I don't know the full story. But I do want to try and help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lole_beena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that is the bed - never washed it. Could it be an old cat we once had maybe? After reading your reply it may be that. I never washed it.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lole_beena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lole_beena lole_beena

It sounds like he's scruffing his bed, the way some male cats scruff females in heat or younger males they want to show dominance over. One of my cats has a favourite blanket he does the same thing too.

There's nothing wrong, it's just a habit some cats get into as a way of comforting themselves.

Are both of your boys neutered?
yes they both are.

michael broad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that is the bed - never washed it. Could it be an old cat we once had maybe? After reading your reply it may be that. I never washed it.
Yes, there is something on the bed. If you want your cat to stop what he is doing you might try washing it. See if that resets his behavior. Washing it from time to time is a good thing anyway. But don't over-wash it as it should smell of him and you. You might deposit some of your scent on it too. Old, unwashed clothes would do.