Cat and Baby

eggson27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I are expecting a baby girl any day now. Our cat (3-year-old male) is extremely cuddly and affectionate, and also a little bitey (usually when overstimulated, but sometimes it seems completely random). We're a little nervous that he may get jealous/confused/overwhelmed by his new human companion and try to bite her. We're also a little concerned that he may try to sneak into the bassinet with her (very friendly, but not so great for baby..) We'll obviously keep a very close eye on him, but it's not like we can be awake 24/7 to watch over our nocturnal cat. He sleeps on our bed every night so he'll be around the bassinet while we're sleeping. Any thoughts?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Congrats on the baby!

I splurged for the Owlet monitor, tbh because I was afraid of cats going in the bassinet and figured it would alert me if they sat on the baby's head. One of our cats when completely into hiding, and one kept a catious distance and snuggled with me while nursing.

I got a Feliway plug in when my baby was a newborn to help with cat stress. If you're able to bring home something that smells like the baby from the hospital for your cat to get her scent first, that would be awesome, but we weren't able to do that (covid protocols last December) and we all adjusted. Give treats close to the baby for positive associations! If he hisses, don't try to force interactions. We're still keeping my 9 month old away from the one cat (especially as she's mobile and unpredictable right now), but eventually they'll figure out how to coexist.

Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no incidents of cats smothering babies to be found. Even now, in 2021, they continue to recall infant products that have caused multiple SIDS deaths. Cats, however, remain good to go. So personally, I think there are other things to worry about other than the cat going in the crib. Obviously, that doesnt mean that you need to leave the cat an easy path to jump into the crib, but thats more of a common sense thing than mitigating an actual problem.

Now we have had a couple of posters over the years that have had a few different types of problems between cats and babies and toddlers (one or two cats triggered by babies crying, one or two problems with redirected aggression, one or two attemps to play by biting/pouncing). Such problems are EXTREMELY rare and something that one can deal with if it comes up, or deal with if and when a cat generally develops a problem that could cause issues with a baby/toddler (such as a redirected aggression or play biting humans problem). Cats overwhelmingly think babies and toddlers are loud, scary and to be avoided.

There definitely are many issues to worry about when a new baby is on the way. Thankfully, cats (at least your average relatively well adjusted cats) really aren't one of them, and for the most part, you can deal with the problems as they arise.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife and I are expecting a baby girl any day now. Our cat (3-year-old male) is extremely cuddly and affectionate, and also a little bitey (usually when overstimulated, but sometimes it seems completely random). We're a little nervous that he may get jealous/confused/overwhelmed by his new human companion and try to bite her. We're also a little concerned that he may try to sneak into the bassinet with her (very friendly, but not so great for baby..) We'll obviously keep a very close eye on him, but it's not like we can be awake 24/7 to watch over our nocturnal cat. He sleeps on our bed every night so he'll be around the bassinet while we're sleeping. Any thoughts?
I was born into a family "with cat" -- he was 3 when I joined them. My parents were very careful to supervise and to teach me to always be gentle and respectful with him. It's much more important to protect the CAT, who is much smaller and more fragile. Never leave them unattended in each other's presence! Our cat slept on my bed every night when I grew older.
Make sure to give your cat plenty of good attention and love. Never ignore your cat, who is used to and deserving of love and attention.
Being born and raised with cats and loving, caring parents is the very best way to grow up! Kids raised this way are usually healthier in every way, more caring, and more personally responsible than others.
To expend some of that feline energy before bedtime, you can play interactively with him with a toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer for 10-15 min. This will help him to know he is loved and give him an outlet for his natural instincts.
You might want to look up "Cat Daddy" Jackson Galaxy on YouTube and see what he has to offer on the subject. Here is a great article right here on the site: Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – TheCatSite Articles

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot add too much to what has been said. The best you can do is watch when you can, monitor when you cannot, and teach both the cat and the baby to respect each other and to be gentle.

I have twelve cats and a 22-month-old grandson who was born prematurely, weighing 4 lbs. (When he was born, we had 13 cats. Hobbit and my daughter lived with us for a couple of months so she could heal and have constant help. Now, I am his sole caregiver while she is at work, so he is here a lot.) Obviously, we were worried about the cats when he was born, but they became either aloof to him or protective of him. Our 19-year-old Simon, our "crankiest" cat, loves Hobbit the most. He often would sleep next to Hobbit in his bouncer and pack-and-play. He still does, but he understands that Hobbit is mobile now and keeps an eye out for sudden moves! Haha!

We have used Simon to teach Hobbit how to be gentle with the cats. He loves them all a little too much at times and has been lightly scratched twice now by Fennimore and Iris. On the occasion that he gets too rough with them--it is happening less often now--they tend to just bat at him with their claws in and without making contact. The scratches happened because he scared them while they were sleeping.

We have one, Juniper, who bites when she is excited or when she wants attention. So far, she just stays away from him.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot add too much to what has been said. The best you can do is watch when you can, monitor when you cannot, and teach both the cat and the baby to respect each other and to be gentle.

I have twelve cats and a 22-month-old grandson who was born prematurely, weighing 4 lbs. (When he was born, we had 13 cats. Hobbit and my daughter lived with us for a couple of months so she could heal and have constant help. Now, I am his sole caregiver while she is at work, so he is here a lot.) Obviously, we were worried about the cats when he was born, but they became either aloof to him or protective of him. Our 19-year-old Simon, our "crankiest" cat, loves Hobbit the most. He often would sleep next to Hobbit in his bouncer and pack-and-play. He still does, but he understands that Hobbit is mobile now and keeps an eye out for sudden moves! Haha!

We have used Simon to teach Hobbit how to be gentle with the cats. He loves them all a little too much at times and has been lightly scratched twice now by Fennimore and Iris. On the occasion that he gets too rough with them--it is happening less often now--they tend to just bat at him with their claws in and without making contact. The scratches happened because he scared them while they were sleeping.

We have one, Juniper, who bites when she is excited or when she wants attention. So far, she just stays away from him.
That's probably how it was with my family, too. I don't remember if I ever got scratched, but I know he never bit me and if he did scratch, I'm sure it was only in self-defense. Little kids don't know their own strength and their hand-eye coordination isn't always great so they hit when they don't mean to. That's why the kids need monitoring and supervision and education ALL the time. The important thing is that it should never be a "kid vs. cat" situation and there should never be any thought of abandoning and betraying a cat when babies are added to the family. Family is family and in my family, our cat was a beloved and respected family member for life. That's how it needs to be in every family.
Your grandson is named Hobbit? Or is it a nickname? Either way, that's so cool!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your grandson is named Hobbit? Or is it a nickname? Either way, that's so cool!
It is his nickname! His real name is connected to Lord of the Rings, but we call him Hobbit for two reasons. Firstly, because when I told my husband what my daughter was going to name our grandson, he said, "Like Lord of the Rings?" Secondly, when he was born, he was super small with giant feet. Even the nurses in the NICU said they were the biggest feet they have ever seen on a preemie. His father is 6'7", so we assume he is going to be pretty tall. He just turned 22 months two days ago and wears either 2T or 3T clothing and has a size 8 shoe. (He is just shy of 36" tall.) He will be a very big Hobbit.

My husband is a few years younger than I am, and I am considered a young-ish grandma. As a very young grandpa, he was unsure what Hobbit should call him. We settled on Gandalf! (I am Mina to him.)

Simon with Hobbit when Hobbit was two months old
20200130_172259.jpg

And at three/four months:
82502857_1008281599549933_506774869271117824_n.jpg

I need to get new ones of them together.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I keep telling J that she's being too unpredictable for the kitties right now. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be so have a baby crawling at you at breakneck speed. Lelia is awesome at noping her way out of here (but will sit by us and snuggle when J is calm and nursing), where Sparkle is more likely to stand her ground and hiss and swat, which J has not figured out yet (though to be fair, she also hasn't figured out that crawling off the couch headfirst is not a good idea either), so I'm using Lelia more to work on explaining gentle and calm and keeping a wide berth from Sparkle. I know it's a long game process!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I keep telling J that she's being too unpredictable for the kitties right now. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be so have a baby crawling at you at breakneck speed. Lelia is awesome at noping her way out of here (but will sit by us and snuggle when J is calm and nursing), where Sparkle is more likely to stand her ground and hiss and swat, which J has not figured out yet (though to be fair, she also hasn't figured out that crawling off the couch headfirst is not a good idea either), so I'm using Lelia more to work on explaining gentle and calm and keeping a wide berth from Sparkle. I know it's a long game process!
I can only imagine how the cats feel when Hobbit comes running at them with outstretched "gimme" fingers while laughing and squealing!

Our current challenge is that he likes to sit next to or behind me on the daybed in the living room. So do several of the cats. He has decided that he should sit on them when they do not move. I put him back on the floor, tell him he cannot sit on the cats, explain that we have to be nice to them, and then move said cat to a safer location on the daybed. He got very angry the first couple of times, but he is starting to understand and has waited a few times for me to move them before climbing up.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats in families with babies and young kids need places to go UP so they can be, and feel, safe. We have a 6' activity center, a 7' cat pipe, and lots of other cat furniture (but no kids). Many cats are "tree dwellers" according to Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy. They love to climb, go high, and hide when they feel the necessity. I always hope that every household "with cat" invests in some good sturdy tall cat trees.
Elphaba09 Elphaba09 Simon and Hobbit are adorable together!!!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your baby! I was sad until I happened to open this thread. Not only am I excited for your baby, I love the pictures that Elphaba09 Elphaba09 posted. I don't have advice to add to what has already been posted. My cousin had cats when her babies were born and the cats were very protective over the children. Sometimes her son would hit at them, as he was too young to know better, but she taught him how to play gently with the cats. Those cats have long since crossed the Bridge. Both her son and daughter love and have cats, since each requested one as birthday gifts. (Mom is allergic.) Her daughter even taught hers to walk on a leash, so she could take her outside.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give the cats a bed on the day bed or better yet a shelf with cat beds on it above the day bed?(though they may still prefer the day bed.) My guy sleeps in his bed next to my pillows. Maybe some decorative pillows between baby & the cat bed on the day bed?

Sean35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Congrats on the baby!

I splurged for the Owlet monitor, tbh because I was afraid of cats going in the bassinet and figured it would alert me if they sat on the baby's head. One of our cats when completely into hiding, and one kept a catious distance and snuggled with me while nursing.

I got a Feliway plug in when my baby was a newborn to help with cat stress. If you're able to bring home something that smells like the baby from the hospital for your cat to get her scent first, that would be awesome, but we weren't able to do that (covid protocols last December) and we all adjusted. Give treats close to the baby for positive associations! If he hisses, don't try to force interactions. We're still keeping my 9 month old away from the one cat (especially as she's mobile and unpredictable right now), but eventually they'll figure out how to coexist.

Good luck!
Do you mean the Owlet sock or the camera?

Not much for me to add since I don't have a cat, but after my daughter was born this summer, the feral cat I've fed for the past 18 months stopped being silent and started meowing when I'd bring out food, so he/she might have been picking up cues from the baby crying.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean the Owlet sock or the camera?

Not much for me to add since I don't have a cat, but after my daughter was born this summer, the feral cat I've fed for the past 18 months stopped being silent and started meowing when I'd bring out food, so he/she might have been picking up cues from the baby crying.
We got both, but I meant the sock! I didn't set up the camera until a couple months ago when she started falling asleep before me and I wanted to be able to keep an eye/ear in our room. The sock we've been using since she was very small.