Cat and baby sleeping in the same room

Lotski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

We’re expecting a baby in April. Our cat Penny has been with us for over three years now. She is incredibly sweet for us, and likes to follow my boyfriend everywhere.

Almost immediately after we adopted her, we noticed she has a form of separation anxiety. She sleeps in our room every night, and only jumps on the bed when we go to sleep. After ten minutes of getting attention and kneading the blanket, she goes to sleep in her own little bed next to ours. She’s not a lap cat. Always next to us or somewhere where she can see us, but never on us.

Since there’s a baby on the way, I’m curious about the experiences of cats and babies sleeping in the same room. We are planning on having the baby with us those first months. My boyfriend keeps having ups and downs: one moment he’s calm about it, the next time he’s anxious again. Our vet and gynaecologist told us they never heard about a cat smothering a baby before in their whole career, and told us not to worry about it. As long as you take precautions to keep the cat out of the cot.

I’m also not able to believe our cat would try to sleep on the baby at night... She’s extremely sensitive to noise and sudden movement, and doesn’t like lying on us or near us when we move too much. That’s why I don’t stress about it.

But ofcourse, I also understand my boyfriend. I’m not the type of person to set my foot down just because I am not anxious. I really want to try to find a solution for this problem, though. Our cat is more affectionate since she had a rough year (almost dead due to lipidosis, a feeding tube, bladder stone surgery, allergy + biopsy,... three surgeries in only 6 months), and even though the safety of the baby is the most important, I just can’t help but cry when thinking about not letting her sleep with us at night for the next 10 months or so. She’s been through so much this year. May sound pathetic and stupid, but I can’t help it. I enjoy her presence in our room. It makes me calm.

I’m looking for potential solutions, advice, tips, maybe some understanding since a lot of people don’t even get why the thought of keeping her out of our room makes me sad and stressed.

Thanks in advance. :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are "urban legends" about cats smothering babies or in the older versions "stealing their breath". Legends. Hopefully other TCS members will add comments.

Personally, I don't think it is a real problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks already for commenting!
The fact that cats like to lie on babies seems like some sort of ‘urban legend’ to me too. Our vet believes that there’s already something wrong with the babies in these few cat smothering stories. But yeah, we will keep looking for some advice and tips!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are curious, so she will probably want to check out the new addition.
But they also don't like change, so she may sulk a bit for a while.
As for snuggling up with baby, maybe it will happen, maybe not.
Babies have warmer body temp for a while, so I could see how that might be attractive.
Babies also cry and fuss... which may not be so attractive.
Either way, it's pretty rare that a cat will actually be aggressive to a baby. Most animals instinctively understand that babies are special.
The old wives tales of babies being smothered by cats... not sure where they stem from, but it seems like a Grimm-type fairy tale that just embedded itself into our verbal history. I've never heard of it actually happening, and I have several friends who've raised their kids alongside felines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotski

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are curious, so she will probably want to check out the new addition.
But they also don't like change, so she may sulk a bit for a while.
As for snuggling up with baby, maybe it will happen, maybe not.
Babies have warmer body temp for a while, so I could see how that might be attractive.
Babies also cry and fuss... which may not be so attractive.
Either way, it's pretty rare that a cat will actually be aggressive to a baby. Most animals instinctively understand that babies are special.
The old wives tales of babies being smothered by cats... not sure where they stem from, but it seems like a Grimm-type fairy tale that just embedded itself into our verbal history. I've never heard of it actually happening, and I have several friends who've raised their kids alongside felines.
Yep, that’s what I was thinking! While searching/waiting for other experiences, we’re gonna check the options regarding a co-sleeper/crib. We already plan on putting it up on time with balloons in it, but the real ‘test’ is when the baby’s born ofcourse. :)