Cat And AC?

Saikachu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,i have a young male cat and in my region the temperature is very high in summer up to 99° F/38°C. Can my cat be in a room with AC on,at 27° setting? In a closed room with us,we are not allowed to keep the door open as it damages the AC what would be the right thing to do,i am also scared of heatstroke as he enters and exists our cool room often.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello everyone,i have a young male cat and in my region the temperature is very high in summer up to 99° F/38°C. Can my cat be in a room with AC on,at 27° setting? In a closed room with us,we are not allowed to keep the door open as it damages the AC what would be the right thing to do,i am also scared of heatstroke as he enters and exists our cool room often.
My boy sleeps on my bed every night and I have the A/C turned on till morning. Our current nightly outdoor temperature is 27/28deg. My A/C is set at 25/26 deg on silent mode. This mode is one notch under the lowest fan speed. The A/C vent is blowing almost directly where he sleeps. He's a DSH. I don't see him feeling cold as he sometimes sleeps with all his for paws in the air exposing his belly.

If your cat feels cold, he'll be shivering like us hoomans or puffed up keeping closed to the ground or he'll look for a warmer spot like under your blanket or a box or a cushion or pet bed or radiator.

As long as it is not set on very low temperature and the vents are not blowing directly on your cat, it should be ok.

ideal-temperature-for-cat

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually keep my house around 25/26C but it can get warmer at times. Especially since someone (:cough: Link :cough: )won't let me close the window; you should see the tantrum he throws. Good news is that side of the house doesn't get hot until noon and the thermostat is 15 feet away so the AC isn't running non-stop on hot days. Ours probably runs half as much as our neighbors and they have their house firmly closed up all the time. Back to the subject... Link seems to prefer laying right next to the window on a warm day which means he is usually sprawled out at a spot that can be up to 37C but probably feels a little closer to 29C since it has a breeze. He rotates between baking in the window and being on the floor right under the AC vent depending on his mood.

Just make sure your cat has water and if you can have a fan blowing to keep air moving that can help.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
38C is high for a cat but it depends on your cat. Magnus would love it. Calcifer starts wilting at 25C.
The beds at night have the AC on it directly and they still sleep with us. They can move if they want.

Keep an enclosed cat bed with warm blanket in the AC room and of course lots of water in both areas. Let him rotate between areas if you want.

Could a cat door be installed? Would that ease your mind a bit?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Where I live we get a lot of humidity which makes it feel hotter. Since our cat is longhaired neither he or I can tolerate it when the humidity is high. For that reason I keep the a/c on if the humidity is above 75%. Is it humid where you live?