Cat Always Pees Standing Up

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pierre has recently begun peeing while standing up in his litterbox, getting pee on the wall behind it (and under the box). This used to be an occasional thing and is now once or twice daily. I've been able to deal with the sanitation issue using strategically placed puppy pads, but I'm wondering if I need to have the vet examine him? He's 2-3 years old, neutered, no apparent health issues, doesn't make any sounds while peeing. There is another male cat in the house (slightly older and also neutered), they've lived together for almost two years with no problems. There are three litterboxes.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, since it's a recent development it would be a good idea to get a vet to check him out.

If the vet rules out a medical issue he or she may ask you if anything changed around the time Pierre started doing this. Could he be seeing or smelling animals outside, for instance?

A friend of mine has a cat who pees standing up and against the wall, she uses a storage container with a hole in one of the sides to make entering and exiting the litter box easier.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My kitten needs a tall-sided box like this because she throws litter out while digging, but it would be effective for a "standing pee-er" as well. I have the door on the narrow side, not the wide side. (Picture from catinfo.org)