Cat allergies

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if cat develops a food allergie, how long woulld it take for the food to be out of their system?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That depends on whether you're talking IBD or skin allergy or what.

In general maybe 2-4 weeks, but need more info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. One of my cats has soars from scratching. The vet tested her for ringworm and said it was negative. I then did a fecal test to test for oarisites, that came back negative also. Now the vet is telling me it will cost hundreds more to find out what's wrong. I have already spent almost 300 on those 2 visits, I have 3 other cats and from all the reading I have been doing, if it really was ringworm we all would have gotten it by now. So now I'm trying to figure this out before I just bring my baby back to the vet again. I would do anything for her, but to just keep going when I feel this vet is not really helping is just spending more
Money I afford and stressing her out. She is the most scared kitty I have ever had n bringing her to the vet is horrible. She is exesivly licking herself also. This all started around a month ago.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for responding. One of my cats has soars from scratching. The vet tested her for ringworm and said it was negative. I then did a fecal test to test for oarisites, that came back negative also. Now the vet is telling me it will cost hundreds more to find out what's wrong. I have already spent almost 300 on those 2 visits, I have 3 other cats and from all the reading I have been doing, if it really was ringworm we all would have gotten it by now. So now I'm trying to figure this out before I just bring my baby back to the vet again. I would do anything for her, but to just keep going when I feel this vet is not really helping is just spending more
Money I afford and stressing her out. She is the most scared kitty I have ever had n bringing her to the vet is horrible. She is exesivly licking herself also. This all started around a month ago.
So what you are saying is the only symptom she has is scratching and excessive licking, correct?

This is not ringworm or parasites, it is either fleas or a sensitivity to her food.

So the simplest way to deal with this is to get revolution flea treatment (can call and request from vet) and change her food.

Food should be a limited ingredient food, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo and Nature's Variety Instinct all make a limited ingredient food, try going with the turkey one. 

If she is fed canned then feed grain free, fancy feast classics turkey and their chunky turkey are good ones and grain free.

If you do both of these I would bet the problem will go away soon!

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much again for your response. She has soars from the scratching, she had feline acne as well. The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and tested for ringworm bc of the soars.

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the pic before we went to the vet, the acne pretty much went away, for now, she had it once in the summer n the vet told me it wasn't a big deal n to just comb it away. The soar in this pic has healed but now she has more on top of her neck n also little soars above her eyes.

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No fleas either, the vet checked n so did I. So you think it's food allergie, that's what I'm thinking. I did give her new food a few months ago, Origen n taste of the wild. One of my four cats loves dried food so much it was for her but my baby started eating too. I want all my cats to eat wet food, it's hard when 2 of them have been eating dry for most of their lives.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think it's a food allergy.

Very typical, causes itchy skin so the overgrooming and scratching her ears.

So this is not too hard to fix. Also vet can tell you the dosage for benedryl so she won't feel so itchy while her body gets rid of the allergen.

bestdayever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened to my kitten after I put her on a new dry food. Even when I took her off the food after a few days of scratching, she kept scratching bloody sores on her head.

I took her to the vet and they gave her an antibiotic and a steroid injection. That took care of it. At the same time I also changed her litter to a less dusty brand.

Definitely try to get your kitty on something plain like wild calling canned to see if it helps. Allergens take weeks to clear the cat's system.

I've also found my kitten has sensitivity to any cleaning solutions and sprays. So I only use vinegar to clean the house and hypoallergenic laundry detergent.

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't Thank you both enough, cat woman and best day ever, for taking the time to respond to me. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with my baby. I stopped giving her the new dry food but it's only been a few days. I always try to give my cats a variety bc I am always so afraid of recalls. I give them weruva, EARTHBORN and blue buffalo canned. The dry food has been blue buffalo for years now and I went back to see when I started the Origen dry food, that's been over 6months. So I am thinking it's the taste of the wild dry food, being that's the food I just started giving them less than 2 months ago. My one question now is, she wouldn't just start being allergic to foods she has been eating for over a year right?

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much again for your response. She has soars from the scratching, she had feline acne as well. The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and tested for ringworm bc of the soars.

This happened to my kitten after I put her on a new dry food. Even when I took her off the food after a few days of scratching, she kept scratching bloody sores on her head.

I took her to the vet and they gave her an antibiotic and a steroid injection. That took care of it. At the same time I also changed her litter to a less dusty brand.

Definitely try to get your kitty on something plain like wild calling canned to see if it helps. Allergens take weeks to clear the cat's system.

I've also found my kitten has sensitivity to any cleaning solutions and sprays. So I only use vinegar to clean the house and hypoallergenic laundry detergent.
I thought I responded to you and I did it wrong, I'm not good with this , that's why I never write on this site and I love it so much . But thank you very much for responding to me! I've never heard of wild calling, that's a canned food?

bestdayever

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When food allergy is suspected, you have to keep your kitty on one type of food for about 2 months to see changes. Dry food was ok for my girl at first but over time she became insensitive (loose stool, gas, shedding, and sores from scratching). So now she eats only wet and she's doing 100% better. Her coat is shiny and she's stopped shedding. I'm hoping by the end of the trial that the scratching will stop. But at least it's not bloody scratching. So no sores have resulted.

Now I have her on one type of canned food. She's getting a little bored with it but so far she's managed to get enough calories in each day.

I recommended wild calling because it has very few ingredients. My kitten wasn't a fan so I tried her on pure vita which she's currently eating.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought I responded to you and I did it wrong, I'm not good with this , that's why I never write on this site and I love it so much . But thank you very much for responding to me! I've never heard of wild calling, that's a canned food?
Wild Calling has both dry and canned cat food: http://wildcalling.com/ The canned foods have novel proteins and are ideal to feed if you think your cat might have a food allergy or sensitivity to a particular protein (chicken is a common).

There are other limited ignredent foods for cats with food allergies / senstivities. Here are a few:

Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredients

Merrick Limited Ingredient

Blue Basics

Natural Balance Limited Ingredient

If it's a protein allergy, a canned food that has a novel protein may be helpful. Here's a thread with suggestions: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/306947/your-favorite-brands-of-novel-protein-canned-cat-food

mom2lb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LTS3:

When I tried my LB on the "Wild Calling" he kind of turned up his nose at first, but knowing how great this food would be for him, I got a wee bit tricky!  First, I dabbed a bit on his paw & of course, he had to remove that right away ... then dabbed a bit on the other paw .. same removal.  He sat there & looked at me a while & then I did a little dab on the nose & he got that removed really quick.  Then I cut back his dry food a bit, so he would be good & hungry at next feed & offered it to him.  He was not thrilled, but he was not adverse to smelling it really good, so I put some on my finger & offered it ... and he licked my finger clean.  So little by little, I got him to accept the food that way.  Now he looks forward to it & goes to the fridge & cries when he wants his "meaty" food (we call it).  It was well worth the effort & he is doing very well on it.

To minniesunshine:  I am not good at this site either ... but I am glad I found your post by chance!  LOL  I saw your profile & see that you have 3 beautiful babies~how wonderful!!  I would have more if this apt. I live in would allow, but my LB keeps me pretty busy & so I am content.  <3

Mom2LB

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Mom2LB! I found the reply, idk what that other praise was. But I also have been trying to feed my kitties wild callings. But the one that is having all the issues, cream is her name, won't eat it. She was always the one who would try everything, my other 2 Minnie n sunshine, who are older, were always the picky ones. Cream is my baby, almost 3, but I still think of her as my baby. I'm having such hard time with all of this. I know she has to go back to the vet, but I just want as much info as I can get before bringing her back. The last time I spoke to the vet who treated her, she was so cold n Said it's going to cost hundreds more to figure out what's wrong with cream. As if the $250 was already spent was nothing. She also mocked the fact that I read on line to find out what could be wrong with cream. I'm trying to find another vet but I've only been here for a year and I'm not familiar with jersey at all. But I will do whatever it takes to get my baby better. I am really inspired by all the work you have done for LB and it's working!!! he is absolutely adorable[emoji]128578[/emoji]

mom2lb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Minniesunshine,

I know that vets are not always nice & they all seem to think that $$$ is no object!!  :(  I would not let anybody treat me that way.  I have had to change vets 2 times, but it was worth it.  I now have a vet who listens carefully to ALL my concerns & treats LB like he is a pot of gold!!  So, don't give up ... keep trying til you find that pefect fit for you & your baby! 

Also, on foods, you just have to find what works.  It's hard work & takes some time, but again, well worth it!  I certainly will be a customer for life to chewy.com cuz they gave me so many refunds & allowed me to give the rejected food to our local animal shelter, so I can highly recommend them & their prices are most competitive as well.

I felt like giving up sometimes in the battle, but I knew a breakthrough might just be around the corner, so I pressed on & that's what we must do!  Hang in there my furbaby Mom friend!  It will pay off in the end.

Will keep you in my prayers for you & your babies' .. keep me posted on your progress ..

Mom2LB

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
6-8 weeks is the recommended length of time for a food trial to eliminate an allergen. You should see an improvement in the first few weeks though.

Your vet is right, doing a blood test for food allergies costs around $300-500. 

Switch to metal bowls and clean them frequently, that should help with the acne. 

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. I am trying to get her to eat different food as suggested on here. But She doesn't want to eat any of the new foods I have been trying to feed her. I'm so afraid she will stop eating, what should my vet be doing when I bring her back? Her itching is getting worse and she is not acting like her self. I'd be mad too if I was itchy n my food was getting taken away[emoji]128542[/emoji] I have a hard time finding where to post and reply on here. And I am trying to find where I read about Novel protein diets. I can not find the link again. Please help[emoji]128546[/emoji]

mom2lb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally think your baby needs an immediate intervention via a steroid shot to get her out of "crisis mode"!  

Some vet should definitely be willing to do this for you.  It's the only way that your poor baby can get immediate relief.  THEN .. you can begin to relax & work on the best solutions for long-term relief.

Just my thoughts anyway ... LB has always been treated with steroid shots when he is in crisis!

Hope this helps ... 

Mom2LB