Cat allergies - Thinking about getting Siberian Scottish Fold Mix

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and had some questions for anyone with cat allergies. I have wanted a cat for so long and am at a good point to finally get one. I have had the worst allergic reactions to tabby cats but am fine around Siberian and rag doll cats. I have not been around Scottish fold cats. Can anyone tell me their experience with this cat breed? The person I am buying the cat from says the kitten I am interested in may be hypoallergenic as the mom is a Siberian. She said she hasn't tested him for allergies yet. How much would it cost to test the kitten and what are your thoughts about wether or not one would be allergic to this mix?
Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Testing for allergies won't do you any good. My assumption is her test for allergies is just have someone with cat allergies go near and see how they react. I could be wrong, could be doing some testing for the protein that triggers reactions. Either way, one person can have a different reaction then another. Additionally, hypoallergenic animals are not really a thing. You are more or less reactive to different cat, yes. And some breeds are less likely to cause reactions or more likely to cause a lesser reaction but not truly hypoallergenic in the sense of no reaction. You'd be better off visiting the breeders home and spending time with the kitten to see if you personally react then paying for a test.

I have allergies to cats myself. I take several medications on a regular basis plus have made adjustments in my home (no curtains or cloth furniture that can collect dander for example). When I have added new cats to my home, I visit with cats until I find one that doesn't trigger me (at least when I've actively looked for cats, most of them find me). By staying on top of my symptoms and managing my environment I can enjoy cats in my home, even though they aren't hypoallergenic.

As to the breed, I don't know if Scottish fold and siberian are a recognized outbreeding. If they aren't, there is the risk you are looking at a backyard breeders. If they are, there is also the risk that any kitten wouldn't inherit the genetics for hypoallergenic. If you are looking for a cat who is known to be less reactive for allergies you are best off staying away from cross breeding because that reduces the chance of benefits. Id also want to visit the home because if the parents cause you allergy problems, the kittens will as well. If you have low reaction to the parents, better chances the kittens will cause less reaction.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I don't have cat allergies, but I have heard of people becoming immune to their own cats, so that's something you might want to research.

As for Scottish Fold cats, TCS has this article on the breed, which you may find helpful.
Scottish Fold Cats: Facts And Care Guide – TheCatSite Articles

And this one on Siberian cats.
Siberian Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck on your quest to adopt a cat of your own. Do come back and let us know if/when you become a new cat parent. :catlove:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As to the breed, I don't know if Scottish fold and siberian are a recognized outbreeding. If they aren't, there is the risk you are looking at a backyard breeders. If they are, there is also the risk that any kitten wouldn't inherit the genetics for hypoallergenic. If you are looking for a cat who is known to be less reactive for allergies you are best off staying away from cross breeding because that reduces the chance of benefits. Id also want to visit the home because if the parents cause you allergy problems, the kittens will as well. If you have low reaction to the parents, better chances the kittens will cause less reaction.
I would echo this concern. Scottish Fold and Siberian are not breeds that are usually crossed, and I would be cautious about any breeder who did this kind of breeding. Did the breeder give you an explanation for why these breeds were combined?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3290.GIF
rylee1494, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3369.GIF
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would encourage you to get allergy tested both for cat dander and different kinds of litter ( I always though I was allergic to cats and it was actually clay based litter )- my husband and kids have cat allergies and using wood based litter helped us all - and yes - we are better off with our own cats than other cats - it is very risky having cats with
allergies as it is possible for allergies to get better or get really, really bad! No cat is hyper allergenic every cat produces some dander and sheds skin cells and hair - some more allergens and some less . Kittens have much less allergens so trying to evaluate a kitten is impossible. My family does better with siamese and ragdolls but also have an american shorthair that has caused no problems for us while others with the same look made my husband break out in hives and wheezes ... Try fostering for a while , use a natural litter that is not too dusty and make sure that ... you have a plan B if it is not working out - I would be very wary of anyone crossing siberians into anything - they are rare and expensive especially with breeding rights- and most „ Siberians „ might just be longhaired mixes ( and those are not at all hypo allergenic )

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELCOME! The usual culprit for cat allergies is the Fel d 1 enzyme in their saliva, so you're allergic to cat spit, essentially, and cats are just COVERED in cat spit! There are some breeds that do produce LESS of this enzyme. This is a slide show of them: 10 Hypoallergenic Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH...side note. The lion produces Fel d 1 that is almost genetically identical to housecat Fel d 1, so you're probably allergic to lions, as well!

Phalno

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother is quite allergic to a variety of animals and I am slightly allergic myself. I came here to mention things like pet dander and such but others have already commented to those points. If you really want to get and keep a cat as others have suggested I would look more into what you are really allergic to. Is it the saliva as mentioned above, is it the dander or is it something else like litter (new one for me) mentioned above?

I am technically allergic to dust mites, all manners of pollen, and pet dander. But I take an OTC medication for seasonal allergies already, we keep our cats clean and our carpeted home and furniture well-vacuumed and I don't even notice. But I can go to some other homes who have cats or dogs and my allergies go crazy my eyes itch and redden so I guess each situation is different. Probably not that helpful, but there you have it for what it is worth.

Good Luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother was terribly allergic to every cat we had when we were growing up, hives, wheezing, the whole bit. Then we got a Siamese. NO SYMPTOMS! You might try the Siamese breeds and see if it works for you, or even a cross. I have noticed over the years that every cat I had that had a lot of Siamese in them, Tonkinese, Siamese, Balinese, Etc, (Points and blue eyes) had an 'aroma' to their skin, not unpleasant, just different. Their hair was also coarser and felt different. So they definitely have different skin and thus dander.

Stylish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and had some questions for anyone with cat allergies. I have wanted a cat for so long and am at a good point to finally get one. I have had the worst allergic reactions to tabby cats but am fine around Siberian and rag doll cats. I have not been around Scottish fold cats. Can anyone tell me their experience with this cat breed? The person I am buying the cat from says the kitten I am interested in may be hypoallergenic as the mom is a Siberian. She said she hasn't tested him for allergies yet. How much would it cost to test the kitten and what are your thoughts about wether or not one would be allergic to this mix?
Thank you
Hi there,
I have just bought two Scottish Fold Kittens, and also have an allergy to Cats, they bring me out in hives LOL! I'm normally really bad with cats and feel like I have fur in my throat too. I do have slight hives on occasion with my two, but find that its only if I touch my face after stroking them. No fur feeling in the throat and an antihistamine sorts the hives out as and when x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
I have just bought two Scottish Fold Kittens, and also have an allergy to Cats, they bring me out in hives LOL! I'm normally really bad with cats and feel like I have fur in my throat too. I do have slight hives on occasion with my two, but find that its only if I touch my face after stroking them. No fur feeling in the throat and an antihistamine sorts the hives out as and when x
Thanks for the info! Very interesting! I have found so far that Remi (my Siberian/Scottish fold mix) has given me very little allergy problems and Im hoping it stays that way. I've had mild sneezing/runny nose episodes but no hives or itchiness! I know that he is still young and may produce more allergens when he gets older. We are planning to neuter him because we have heard about all the benefits for him from the vet and it will also reduce his allergen/Fel d 1 protein production. I am just so happy to be able to have a cat without feeling like Im dying from allergies!! Best of luck to you and your kittens! : )