Cat Allergies - synotic

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All!

my cat Haze suffers from skin allergies. I have him seeing a vet derm and we’ve gone through the gamet of testing and found a good regimen. We know what he is allergic to but due to environmental allergies, he gets flare ups during pollen season ( he is indoor only but that pesky stuff still gets him!). He is having a flare right now that has caused crusty little patches around the back of the base of his ears. The vet derm has prescribed Synotic which is a corticosteroid in prescription strength. Anyone have experience with this med?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not heard of this before. From what I see it's an ear drop? Have you tested his ears for a yeast infection and/or had a deep cleaning of his ears performed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s what I’m seeing about synotic too but it can also be used for skin papules from what my vet tells me. I saw one article online that discusses this but mostly ear treatment. He does get his ears cleaned each week and did have an ear swab done today at the vet to look for infection. No infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In house swab and cytology by derm vet. She said if she had seen bacteria present under her microscope she would have sent for a culture but no bacteria seen. He often has waxy ears due to allergies. Everyone wants to swab his ears!

Does anyone have experience using synotic for skin flare ups?

Destinyyymarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about the medication but I do know about some stuff that has helped my dog who suffers from really bad rashes. There’s an oatmeal bath that you can give your cat or maybe just have a wet cloth with the oatmeal bath water placed on the rash. I know that helped my dog quite a bit with just the itching itself.