Cat Aggressive on Metronidazole

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new cat tested positive for giardia in his fecal sample. I picked up the meds and the vet realized they gave the wrong dosage - originally it was 1.4 ml of liquid metronidazole twice a day. They then called and said it was really 0.4 ml twice per day. They said I could just use up the bottle.

I read online it's typically treated in 5 to 7 days, so after 5 days, I noticed that Kirby's stool were more solid, so I took him out of quarantine after doing one last disinfection of his litter box and room. Please note, the vet never even said that I needed to quarantine the cats or even put my resident cat Sango on the meds - her stools have been fine thankfully.

However, I have noticed there's a ton more meds left and I called the vet and they are insisting that I keep him on the meds until his stools are completely solid. I read that diarrhea is a side effect of Metronidazole. His stools are still a bit soft on some days but not liquid or mucus like they were with giardia. And there's definitely no nasty rot smell!

I am noticing that on the meds, Kirby is acting so hungry - he eats a whole 3 oz. can and still wants more food! I've been trying to introduce him to my resident cat Sango and every chance he gets, he keeps pouncing on her. Before the meds, he was a bit playful, but he's acting like a huge jerk now. I don't know if he's just hangry or if the meds are just making him aggressive.

I'm at a point where I want to switch vets but just about every place has a waiting list. Has anyone ever seen these side effects with Metronidazole? Should I keep continuing with meds as the vet suggested?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the medication but I do have a cat that gets 'hangry'. He will follow our other cat and nip at his legs etc. Food solves the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought an automatic feeder that dispenses 4 times a day at 4:30 am, 1:30 pm, 7:15 pm and 11:00 pm. He gets a 1/4 cup of Dr. Elsey's dry chicken total. I am also feeding him two 3 oz cans of Fancy Feast Pate at 9 am and 5 pm. He's 1.5 years old. He's getting about 338 calories or so. He's a 10 lb. cat and this already seems like a ton of calories.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brought him out after giving him a manual feed and he's being totally civil now. He's currently loafing on the floor while Sango is on a cat perch watching birds. I can only think that it's the meds causing this. He was never this hungry before taking metronidazole. The vet told me to mix in his wet food (it's compounded as chicken flavor). Cat intros had been going well and they'd even sleep next to each other.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe reduce the dry and increase the wet. More protein keeps cats full longer and high carbs can can create spikes in blood sugar.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be the medication is making him hungrier.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's is fairly low carb, I believe 8% on a dry matter basis. I have to keep dry food in the house because Sango won't touch wet food despite my many expensive attempts to transition her. I could try another half can of wet though. I have some FF Gravy Lovers left from my many failed attempts to transition Sango to wet food. I hate to go through more pate because of food shortages - within minutes, one of the pate cases I ordered on Chewy went out of stock!

Edit: Gravy Lovers is actually worse on the carbs. I may try giving him Churu as an extra snack.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flybynight Flybynight Do you have any recommendations on brands? I used to buy American Journey's chicken version and the bottom would be totally dust. I have Amazon Prime and could have something shipped here (the Pet Supplies Plus was out of most everything when I was there yesterday).

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to take him off these meds soon. He was resting on a ledge in another room and soon as Sango went past him to go eat in the kitchen he chased her. He's being such a jerk. I put him back in his room.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's tricky as chasing is part of cat play, so it can be hard to differentiate from being bossy and play at times. My guys play jump out from behind doors at each other or hide behind the curtain and such. He may just be trying to engage her in play and she does not want to.

I am in Europe so more familiar with brands here but I know Orijen do freeze dried treats and I have bought the wild boar and Romney lamb varieties.
Amazon.com : orijen cat treats
They can crumble a bit and leave dust on the bottom but not too much in my experience. Maybe someone knows brands that come in canisters vs packages.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flybynight Flybynight it's almost every single time they see each other now. He's just acting off and seeming super twitchy and barely resting even when he's alone with me. He even went after his own tail earlier. Before the meds, the intro was going fairly well. He did chase her sometimes, but she was engaging him first. I read some of awful neurological side effects that happen in humans with this drug so it has me worried.

I do think I was off when I checked the antibiotics bottle. I thought there was more. There's less than a dose now, so I'm finished with these meds. The vet said they overfill because the liquid sticks and dries to bottle, so maybe that's it?

I gave him some probiotics earlier too in case it's simple and his tummy is bothering him.

Last edited:

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: He’s still pouncing Sango, but I used a spray bottle on him to stop him (I’ve heard mixed things about whether this is appropriate, but his foster mentioned this as a method to use). I also think he’s actually getting less hungry. I gave him 3 cans of wet food, plus he has his dry food feedings and he actually didn’t inhale his supper all at once; he took a few bites and ate the rest an hour later. I’m planning to give him 2 cans tomorrow and see how it goes. I’d like to eventually reduce the dry food, but it’s a start. His poops are looking much more solid - I have Proviable kit which includes a paste to use for a few days to firm up stools plus caps of probiotics. This came from the vet.

He looked really sleepy, so I decided to let him out, and he actually jumped up on the couch next to Sango and groomed her back and is sleeping a few inches from her. I‘m currently watching them right now, she slightly shifted and he pawed her and I was so worried he was going to attack her, but he left her alone and she‘s curled in a ball now. Now hopefully he’ll be a good boy for now.

I’m so relieved! I‘ve been really worried about things not working out - it’s only been a month of cat introduction, but it’s so stressful! This gives me hope!