Cat aggression may have to euthanize but can’t get her to vet…help

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it may be time for our 15 year old cat. She’s been declining for the past 2 years but more so the last 2 months. Last night, I injured myself accidentally and she didn’t like me in pain and started hissing then chased me out of the room and viciously attacked my leg. I am trying to keep my distance, but at this point I am frankly terrified of it happening again and can’t sleep in my bed, the room she stays in all day and won’t leave. I don’t have any sedatives on hand and she hasn’t been to the vet since the pandemic and they won’t prescribe anything without seeing her. There is an at home vet that can euthanize her but she will run away and go under the bed if anyone new enters the house and they are hesitant. What are you supposed to do in this type of situation if the cat is too aggressive to get to a vet? If I can get a sedative will it even subdue her enough that she won’t attack me putting her in a carrier? I am truly heartbroken and appreciative of any advice you can give.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With a young cat in a non emmergency situation, leaving the carrier out days in advance or permanently and putting treats progressively further inside it will generally work. In a health emmergency, a big carrier, or one with access via the top, and a towel should work. You might get scratched a little if you dont use the towel correctly, but its very doable with a good carrier. With a small front access only carrier . . . thats another story and not to be tried absent desperation.

You will find guidance on euthanizing a pet at home via benadryl on the internet. If your in the US, not all states allow it, and some require specific circumstances. Not endorsing this or rendering an opinion on whether it is or isn't appropriate in your circumstances, but you asked about options, and it may be one. Personally, I'd likely grab a towel and get the cat in the carrier, and if you don't have a carrier where thats feasible, Walmart or similar can likely help you get one.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this the first time she has ever tried to attack you? If so, it is not a guarantee that she will again. If you cried out or yelled due to the pain you felt, it could be that she went into 'fight or flight' mode as a natural reaction to something that startles a cat, and this time she chose 'fight'.

The more you exude fear around her the more likely she will react to it. So, I hope you can calm down some and see if she calms down herself. Ideally, you do want to try to get her to a vet who can sedate her once she is there and then check her over.

If she is in the bedroom, can you quietly invite a neighbor, friend, or family member over - preferably one who has cats themselves - to help you throw a blanket over her and scoop her into a carrier?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like this is what your looking for. FRISCO Two Door Top Load Plastic Dog & Cat Kennel, Blue, 24-in - Chewy.com

The top access makes it a LOT easier to get a squirming cat in there, and should make a towel/blanket transfer feasible. Not necessarily fun or stress free, but doable. A worthwhile investment if you'll ever have cats in the future as well, since the tiny front access carriers can lead to so much unnecessary stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this the first time she has ever tried to attack you? If so, it is not a guarantee that she will again. If you cried out or yelled due to the pain you felt, it could be that she went into 'fight or flight' mode as a natural reaction to something that startles a cat, and this time she chose 'fight'.

The more you exude fear around her the more likely she will react to it. So, I hope you can calm down some and see if she calms down herself. Ideally, you do want to try to get her to a vet who can sedate her once she is there and then check her over.

If she is in the bedroom, can you quietly invite a neighbor, friend, or family member over - preferably one who has cats themselves - to help you throw a blanket over her and scoop her into a carrier?
Hi, thanks for your help. No this isn't the first time, but it is the first time she actually bit me. I have tried the blanket idea before but she lashes out even more. I have tried talking calmly to her briefly and she either hisses or just stares and looks fearful. My husband has been feeding her and doing her litterbox in the same room, but she is also hissing at him sometimes and after seeing her attach me he isn't comfortable going near here at this point. there is a mobile vet, but they said they don't "wrangle" cats and if she hears anyone new come into the home she runs under the bed and you can't get her. I am really at a loss and trying everything in my power not to have to call animal control. The vets I have called are not helpful. This is so difficult and I'm very upset, but I am afraid she will attack me again which I am sure she is sensing. I am trying to give her some time, but the house is very small and if it doesn't get better I am really at a loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calicat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would suggest blocking off her access .. ?
She won't leave that room :( In the past whenever we had an issue I would go back into that room after she calmed down to sleep and she would lay with me there would be an occasional hiss sometimes, but never miss level of aggression and I am not sure I will ever feel comfortable sleeping in there again if she can snap at any moment. I just can't believe all of this started just from me yelling out "owwww" a few times.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry, I think I wasn't clear - I meant block off access to the area under the bed, if possible. You can use a big piece of cardboard to keep between you/anyone and her while doing this.

Have you tried any calming products? There are chews, and liquid drops such as this, and even possibly CBD;
Amazon.com : bach's rescue remedy for cats

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's an idea. Just thought of it, never tried it.

Place the open carrier in the room. put a heating pad in it with a towel both under and on top of it. Turn down your heat or the ac super cold. Hopefully there is a wet food she can't resist. Feed her a large meal, maybe wait until a few hrs after her usual meal time. She will seek out the heat and hopefully fall fast asleep. Go in the room a quietly as possible and close the carrier door. If she even twitches an ear, don't go near the carrier. speak sweetly and leave. At her age she shouldn't have the ability to stay on high alert 24hrs a day but you'll probably only have one chance to close that door.

Has she always been a grumpy cat or is it only since she got older? Could she be in pain or have another treatable issue? You're understandably scared so I'm don't trying to push just putting an idea out there.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of vets will give a tablet of something to calm a cat like this so it can get to the vet.

I'd just buy a new bigger carrier and leave it open full time. Put some treats in the lip, and a favorite blanket inside. Move the treats deaper the next time. Pretty much guarranty the cat will go in there to sleep and chill within a few days, and you just close the door. I do understand the issue -- we have had miserable experiences when we needed to take a cat to the vet on an urgent basis -- but with proper planning, a non-emmergency visit should be solveable.

I mentioned the Benadryl because you asked, but if the only thing thats been going on over the last two years is irratability and lashing out, it could be something as simple as untreated arthritis making the cat grumpy. That happens. You don't want to euthanize a cat over arthritis.

Last edited:

Tuscany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it may be time for our 15 year old cat. She’s been declining for the past 2 years but more so the last 2 months. Last night, I injured myself accidentally and she didn’t like me in pain and started hissing then chased me out of the room and viciously attacked my leg. I am trying to keep my distance, but at this point I am frankly terrified of it happening again and can’t sleep in my bed, the room she stays in all day and won’t leave. I don’t have any sedatives on hand and she hasn’t been to the vet since the pandemic and they won’t prescribe anything without seeing her. There is an at home vet that can euthanize her but she will run away and go under the bed if anyone new enters the house and they are hesitant. What are you supposed to do in this type of situation if the cat is too aggressive to get to a vet? If I can get a sedative will it even subdue her enough that she won’t attack me putting her in a carrier? I am truly heartbroken and appreciative of any advice you can give.

When my cat suddenly became super aggressive and tried to attack me I called the local animal control. The guy was extremely professional and gently got my cat in her crate without hurting her. The key here was that he was not afraid of her whereas she knew I was. Animal control services can probably get your cat in the crate and then you can take the cat to the vet.