Cat age?

Val3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to find out how old my cat is. He was a stray, he came around last year but my dog scared him off. Last year; a few months before October he came around again, we started feeding him, etc etc, you know the story. He was very skinny but very friendly (he still is ofc) and hes FIV positive, eventually on October 31st we took him in and adopted him, we eventually took him to the vet and the vet said he was around 5 years old. I've searched and searched on websites on how to tell a cats age and he seems to be around 5, but I would like to know if theres any other way to know exactly how old he is. If theres anything else you want to know about or something i've missed please tell me and i'll reply as soon as possible. Thank you so much!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets can tell by looking at their teeth. Once you've had enough experience with looking at the teeth of cats whose age you know, it's a lot easier to estimate the age of the cats whose age you don't know.

But no, unless you find someone who says "yes, I recognize him, he was born in my shed in 2015", there's no way to know for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Val3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet once told me that teeth are a clue to age, but once the dog or cat is an adult, the teeth/age guess means a little less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Val3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!