Cat Advice ASAP! Head cold?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allow me a silly question.
Is it possible that King is peeing in some hidden corner of the house? Under a bed or piece of furniture?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Allow me a silly question.
Is it possible that King is peeing in some hidden corner of the house? Under a bed or piece of furniture?
Nope, I’m home pretty much all day, and when I’m not home, my mom is. He’s around us all the time. Also, he has never used the bathroom anywhere besides his litter box except one time he accidentally got locked in my room while I went to school, and he pooped in the floor. I’m pretty baffled about why he hasn’t went, isn’t showing any signs of discomfort, and isn’t excessively drinking water.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He still has not went to the bathroom, and is still showing no signs. I am worried.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be worried too, now.
Could you just call the vet and listen to his opinion?
The vet is already closed. The only ones open near me are over an hour away.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got ahold of a vet that was open around here, and they did not seem concerned. They also would not take him in, and gave me a number for a place about 40 miles away. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. My car has been having brake issues, and won’t be checked out until tomorrow. This is the only car my family has, and my mom doesn’t want me to travel to a whole other state with the shape of our car. I was really hoping the vet I called would take a look at him. I’m all out of options. I am worried for his well being. I’m currently talking to another vet to see what they think, but they also do not seem worried. King has to take his other dose of medicine in about 30 minutes, and he hasn’t ate in probably about 5 hours. I have tried to get him to eat everything, and he just won’t. He doesn’t even want to take a drink of water, which I thought is weird since a symptom of constipation is excessive water drinking. I’m not sure what to do. I really am confused. He was just fine, and now he doesn’t want to use the restroom. He’s never ever had bathroom problems before. This came out of left field. If I’m unable to take him to the vet, what am I supposed to do?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never a pee and poop have been a better sight, haven't they? :lol:
Well, it seems things have improved a lot.
Is King acting more like himself, eating and drinking, now that he has got rid of that burden?
Well, after he used the bathroom, he ate a little turkey and some lickable cat treat, and drank some water. Neither his poop or pee was big, so it is obvious that the Clavamox is causing some constipation. However, I’m just glad that he can still do both, and doesn’t need to be rushed to the vet.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m back home now, and he is back not wanting to move much. Since he got sick, he always gets like this at night. I’m wondering if the Clavamox is making him feel like this.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m back home now, and he is back not wanting to move much. Since he got sick, he always gets like this at night. I’m wondering if the Clavamox is making him feel like this.
Sounds like there is definitely a pattern. Cab you keep track of how long after he is given his meds that he starts acting like this? Maybe you can see a correlation.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like there is definitely a pattern. Cab you keep track of how long after he is given his meds that he starts acting like this? Maybe you can see a correlation.
It’s not too long after he takes his meds that he decides to go to sleep. In his defense though, by the time for his second dose, he is already napping around a little. I gave him the second dose today around 8:30 p.m. I left the house to go visit my fiancé at 9:30 p.m. I got home about an hour ago, (2:50 a.m.) and he was still in my room. He does this almost every night. He also is definitely not eating enough during the day because we have came across a new problem. For some reason, the cat food that he has loved and stood by for almost 7 years, is now not being eaten by him. Yesterday, he probably ate just a few bites of it around 1:00 p.m. However, he did not eat any of it after that. He did not want to eat anything until after 7:00 p.m. He actually ate turkey, and some lickable treat. He refused to eat his hard food though. He seems like he wants to eat the hard food, but it’s like he is not interested in it. I’ve dumped it out multiple times, tried taking it out of the bowl, and even tried to put some treats with it. He just does not want any part of it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What klunick klunick said make sense, looks like a pattern.
Can you write down a table with days, times, symptoms, poops, food, etc, that you can send to your vet?
Can it be that the Clavamox you're giving him has a terrible taste that puts him off? Have you tasted it?

As for the food that he seems not to like anymore, try to leave it aside for a while and feed him some very tasty food.
Human baby food is great in such situations, be aware to pick one with no garlic, onions, lemon juice in it.

How long has King not eaten?
Hydration is important, but food is important too. If King is eating little, you could feed him high energy food, like Hill's A/D or Royal Canin Recovery. They're rather fluid foods, especially the latter, that can be syringed right in the mouth of the cat.
I hope King is one of those good cats that allow you to force feed them.
It isn't necessary to give him a whole meal in one time, you can give him smaller meals several times a day. This way he can retrieve the habit of eating on his own.
Fingers crossed.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What klunick klunick said make sense, looks like a pattern.
Can you write down a table with days, times, symptoms, poops, food, etc, that you can send to your vet?
Can it be that the Clavamox you're giving him has a terrible taste that puts him off? Have you tasted it?

As for the food that he seems not to like anymore, try to leave it aside for a while and feed him some very tasty food.
Human baby food is great in such situations, be aware to pick one with no garlic, onions, lemon juice in it.

How long has King not eaten?
Hydration is important, but food is important too. If King is eating little, you could feed him high energy food, like Hill's A/D or Royal Canin Recovery. They're rather fluid foods, especially the latter, that can be syringed right in the mouth of the cat.
I hope King is one of those good cats that allow you to force feed them.
It isn't necessary to give him a whole meal in one time, you can give him smaller meals several times a day. This way he can retrieve the habit of eating on his own.
Fingers crossed.
I will attempt to make a table, and see if the other vet would like to see it. I believe the Clavamox is definitely doing something to him. I just had to syringe some food to King about 20 minutes ago. He only ate about 2 ml. He doesn’t really care much for getting the food syringed, I can tell he doesn’t like it. However, after getting that food, he began to groom himself really well and seemed liked he got more energy. He is back laying under the chair though, so I know he probably won’t be up again until 10 in the morning. During the day he doesn’t sleep much anymore, so this is probably him catching up in his sleep.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two ml isn't much, but it's better than nothing.
There's an emergency food for situations like this. Over here in Europe (Italy, where I am) it is called NutriBound, by Virbac. It's kind of a broth that you can syringe in very small amounts, but it's a real energy booster and promises to put a pet back to their food dish in a couple days. It supplies energy, fluids and minerals for the time the pet is off their food for some reason and restores the eating habits.
It's an OTC product, available in pharmacy (in Italy) and online or through a vet.
Could you check if anything similar is available in your area?

I used it a few times in the past and it worked fine.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
amarshall0919 amarshall0919 - if you're syringing liquids into his mouth, never, ever syringe directly into the mouth....meaning never straight in. Use the syringe to put tiny amounts, droplets, across and onto his tongue.

Just watch:

Just droplets, across the tongue, withdraw the syringe, allow him to swallow.....pause.....repeat.

When you're eating or drinking, have you ever had something 'go down the wrong way' ? You sort of gag/choke/cough for a second or two and in a few moments you're fine again.

But, with cats....well, often they're not so 'fine again'. That's because cats, unlike humans, are particularly susceptible to a type of pneumonia that's often fatal - it's called "aspiration pneumonia", and it's caused by foreign matter like foods and liquids that are 'breathed in'.

The chances of this occurring are increased with the usual struggle involved as the cat resists.....and our own emotional stress blurring those instructions.

Do be careful !

On another note.....if he is showing a preference for wet foods........follow his lead! Encourage those foods. If he is turning away from that bag, don't push it....ditch it! Are you a reader? If you want to know more, there's lots right here.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry - I didnt actually read through the whole thread, but some thoughts here
- Cats not eating for 5-7 hours may seem scary, but its not....they have different eating patterns, my cat sometimes eats a bit at 8am and then nothing until 8-9pm
- Clavamox can make them feel a little nauseous , so that could be why he lays down after his dose or seems sort of out of it. it can give them stomach aches
- what was your initial reason for taking him to the vet? he was pawing at his nose and not eating- not eating for how long?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry - I didnt actually read through the whole thread, but some thoughts here
- Cats not eating for 5-7 hours may seem scary, but its not....they have different eating patterns, my cat sometimes eats a bit at 8am and then nothing until 8-9pm
- Clavamox can make them feel a little nauseous , so that could be why he lays down after his dose or seems sort of out of it. it can give them stomach aches
- what was your initial reason for taking him to the vet? he was pawing at his nose and not eating- not eating for how long?
I took him to the vet because he was not wanting to eat, and was making a terrible gulping noise. The nose came just a day after I took him.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning King is more like himself than he’s been this whole week! He came over and laid on me, jumped up in favorite window to look outside, ran around the house, meowed for food, and greeted my mom when she cane in the door. He is finally getting back to his old self. :cheerleader::heartshape: