Cat Advice ASAP! Head cold?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on............stop the music !

What's this? Could you expand on this....what exactly are you describing here?
... his legs are very sore from the two shots.....

The only treatment you spoke of up till then was the take-home Clavamox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hold on............stop the music !

What's this? Could you expand on this....what exactly are you describing here?

The only treatment you spoke of up till then was the take-home Clavamox.

Sure. In my other post, I thoroughly talked about this. He received a PTC booster and a rabies shot. Since I was very worried this morning and running on almost no sleep, I must have forgot to include the two shots in this post. The vet gave them the same day he was prescribed the Clavamox. Hope that helps. 🙂

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to resort to assisted feeding with a syringe, not eating can result in a serious liver issue for cats. Try steaming up the bathroom and sitting with him in the steam, that may open up his nose. A cat will not eat what he can't smell. If you can get his nose opened up he may eat. Giving clavamox for kitty colds is a common practice.
This seems to be true, but personally I still resent it when vets dumb stuff down. The reality is a bit more complex, but nothing most can't understand:

HOW IS THIS USUALLY TREATED?

How an upper respiratory infection is treated depends on how severe it is and whether or not there seems to be a bacterial infection complicating the viral infection. A mildly symptomatic adult cat might need no treatment at all as the symptoms should naturally wane over 1-2 weeks. A heavily congested kitten is likely to need antibiotics and possibly even hospitalization. Antibiotics act not only on bacteria that complicate viral infection but some upper respiratory infections are bacterial and not viral at all. The next most common infectious agents (after herpes and calici) are Chlamydophila felis (formerly known as Chlamydia psittaci) and Bordetella bronchiseptica, both organisms being sensitive to the tetracycline family (such as doxycycline). For this reason, when antibiotics are selected, tetracyclines and their relatives are frequently chosen. Other commonly used antibiotics are: Clavamox®, azithromycin, cephalexin, and clindamycin. Oral medications, and/or eye ointments are commonly prescribed. Severely affected cats may need to have inhalational antibiotics, fluids administered intravenously or under the skin to maintain hydration, and/or some sort of assisted feeding.

So Clavamox was likely a good choice for this cat. The vet just chose not to bother accurately explaining why, which isn't the end of the world. I suppose many wouldn't care.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is dtinilonh so that’s very good. Starting to eat? Also very good. The shots were given at the same time he was diagnosed as being sick? They can add to him feeling rough. Try to get some rest and keep the bathroom steam treatments going to help him. Maybe give him food right after. Smell is important to appetite. Those lickabke treats are good stuff. If kitty can have it, I often use the canned chicken , NO other thing added - no onions, garlic or spices! The water used to can the chicken is something that temps my sick ones. The may just lick the liquid and not eat the chicken but it can help. The same goes for tuna canned in water.
If you do decide to syringe feed, do it slowly. Just drops at a time so kitty can swallow carefully. It’s hard to swallow with a stuffed nose.
Many vets are over booked right now but if you don’t like one, call another! You may have to look around. Sometimes you also have to insist on more information. The vets see so many patients right now that making an impression on your vet as an especially involved cat guardian can make a difference. This isn’t just a cat, it’s your loved one. I hope you both feel better.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update!
He is about to get another round of medication, and it is obvious that it is wearing off. He has been moving a lot more today, sleeping in living room instead of hiding, and eating a few bites in his own. Before giving his medicine yesterday, I did have to give him a lockable treat. He didn’t eat much of it, but he did eat some and that is what matters. Throughout the day, he probably only went to his food dish about 3-4 times. However, this is way better than him not going at all. Right now, he is asleep in my bedroom under a chair by the window. I went in there to pet on him, and he responded by looking at me, and stretching just a little. He did not move his position though, and he is definitely wanting to stay asleep. These past few days have been very rough, but he is slowly but surely making progress. I don’t expect him to feel 100% just after two days of treatment, but it is great to see that he is getting a little better. I do wish he would eat more though. I’m afraid he’ll start to lose some weight.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I forgot to mention that I am also being very careful when giving him the lickable treats. Since he has a sensitive stomach and only eats his hard cat food, I am worried about how his stomach will react. Around the age of 3, King repeatedly kept throwing up. He was throwing up almost every hour, and it was extremely concerning. After taking him to the vet, it was found that his stomach is extremely gentle and we have to be careful what we give him. This is why I’m hoping the lickable treat phase will soon be over because I do not want to risk upsetting his stomach, and making him get even more sick. I know he needs to eat though, that is why I’m doing it.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As soon as things get better, they get worse. King will be having to go back to the vet because I just made the discovery that he has intestinal worms. I am worried for his health.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Worms should be an easy treatment. I wouldn't get any other shots for him until he gets well, though, so no boosters or rabies shots right now. How is he doing otherwise? Is he eating and acting more like himself?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Worms should be an easy treatment. I wouldn't get any other shots for him until he gets well, though, so no boosters or rabies shots right now. How is he doing otherwise? Is he eating and acting more like himself?
The went ahead and gave him a booster and rabies shot. He has been up more today and even played with me a little, but now he is back sleeping. Throughout the day, he has wanted to lay down a lot. His leg is still swelled up from the shots that happened Friday. There’s no lump as I can tell, but the muscle is still swelled and tender. He seems kinda agitated.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
King is up more, and seems to be more like himself. Although, he is still acting pretty weird. For example, he used to sometimes sit on the bathroom counter and even fell asleep a few times. He did this up until about 6 months to 1 year ago. Now that I’ve started to give antibiotics, it seems like he is back up on the bathroom counter A TON. He just sits there. I’ll come home, and he will be sitting there. It also seems as if he is licking his lips a lot, but I know that is due to his throat being a little sore. I am unsure if he used the bathroom at all yesterday. The litter box looks pretty much the same it did. Does Clavamox make cats constipated?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I should add that he’s not acting like he needs to use the restroom. I know it says on google that it is obvious if your cat can’t pee or poop because they will be straining in the litter box. I haven’t seen him do this at all though. If it looks like he hasn’t used the restroom, but he’s acting perfectly fine, should I be worried yet?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If King is eating and drinking very little, it's normal enough not to produce much in the litter box.
By the way, have you checked if King is hydrated? Is he drinking?
Not being hydrated also leads to constipation, lack of energy, lethargy and other ailments you might witness right now.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If King is eating and drinking very little, it's normal enough not to produce much in the litter box.
By the way, have you checked if King is hydrated? Is he drinking?
Not being hydrated also leads to constipation, lack of energy, lethargy and other ailments you might witness right now.
King is drinking quite a bit. I believe he is hydrated. I’ll keep an eye on it though.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
I accidentally fell asleep and didn’t get to give him his medicine at 5 a.m. I just woke up and gave it to him at 7:30 a.m. However, not once while giving it did he try to fight back. That is very strange for him because he hates taking medicine, and has fought back every time these past few days. It’s like he is back not feeling well.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
King is drinking quite a bit. I believe he is hydrated. I’ll keep an eye on it though.
Test it with a simple procedure.
Pinch his skin between his blades, behind his neck pull it a bit to form like a tent and release. If the skin goes back quickly, then he's hydrated. If you see a slower return, then ask your vet how to help him.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
I accidentally fell asleep and didn’t get to give him his medicine at 5 a.m. I just woke up and gave it to him at 7:30 a.m. However, not once while giving it did he try to fight back. That is very strange for him because he hates taking medicine, and has fought back every time these past few days. It’s like he is back not feeling well.
I think your cat hasn't just a cold or a sore leg.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I
I think your cat hasn't just a cold or a sore leg.
I’m not sure. During the day, he acts like his normal self quite a bit. He’ll even play with me. He doesn’t eat very much, but he will go to his dish and eat a little about 7 times a day. He is hydrated, I tried the neck thing. However, it’s when he goes to sleep at night is when things change. He doesn’t act like himself when he first wakes up, and doesn’t until a few hours go by. Then he will be perfectly fine until it’s nighttime again, and he decides to go sleep in my room under the chair. It is when he goes and sleeps under the chair that I know he’s going to act different for a little. His sore throat noise has went away, he has stopped rubbing his nose, and his nose has color to it. I think the antibiotics are helping, but it seems to be taking longer.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
King is still eating and drinking on his own. However, I still have not seen him use The bathroom yet. I know what goes in, must come out. I should know sooner or later if he’s going to need to go back to the vet.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can understand no poop yet, but not even pee is weird enough.
Can you touch is lower belly and see if his bladder feels full?
I just felt his bladder, and it feels normal. He’s acting like he feels fine, and hasn’t made any frequent trips to the litter box. I am getting curious though.