Cat Advice ASAP! Head cold?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has recently been diagnosed with a head cold, and just started receiving antibiotics today. When I came home from the store just now, his little nose looks like this. It looks like it’s been scratched, but what do you all think?

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s kind of hard to tell but if he has nasal congestion he may have been pawing at his nose. Poor baby. Just keep an eye on him and if the congestion is bothering him overly much, you can put him a bathroom while the shower steams up the room. It might give temporary relief. I hope he gets over the cold quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, he received his first dose of antibiotics. Long story short, I don’t really know how the veterinarian came to this consensus, and my cat has not been wanting to eat. He started to eat more, and seemed to be moving around great. He stayed in the living room more, and even played with his bear. However, when it got time to take his second dose, he decided he did not want to eat anymore. The vet prescribed Clavamox and it specifically says not to give it to them without food so I did not. He went to bed around 9:00 p.m., and has stayed asleep until now. The only reason he got up is because I kept bugging him. He keeps aggressively cleaning his nose which is the reason why it is raw. He still does not want to eat, but I did make him drink. I am sitting in the bathroom with him right now. He is just laying on his stomach, awake. I do not know what to do, and need some advice.
Should I give him the antibiotics anyway without food? He seemed to feel better with the antibiotic, but I’m worried about giving it without food. He has not ate in about 7 hours. I know 7 hours will not hurt him, but during the day, he ate multiple times. Him back not eating is telling me that he is back not feeling good.
The last time King was this sick, I was only about 13 years old. For perspective, I am now 20. I seriously have no idea what to do. He keeps going back and forth on feeling better and feeling bad. My stress levels are going through the roof. I am getting hardly any sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check this link: https://www.zoetisus.com/contact/pages/product_information/pdf/pfizerfrank/clavamox_en_co_ois.pdf
It is the patient's prescription information flyer that goes with Clamavox. The document is published by the company that made it.

Any good vet should be able to zip off a couple of photocopies of this document when anybody asks.

At LEAST, they should be able to provide you with a link to it.

About administering with food... It's my guess that the vet thinks that the medicine could upset your cat's stomach and he wants you to give it with food to prevent that.

But when it comes to deciding whether to give the meds when the cat is off his food, I'd say better to give on an empty stomach than not at all. He might be off his food because he's sick. If the pills make him feel better then he starts eating, that's the best outcome, even if it's not by the letter of your vet's instructions.

However, the BEST thing to do is to call your vet in the morning and ask. Your vet is the authority, here. :)

Last edited:

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check this link: https://www.zoetisus.com/contact/pages/product_information/pdf/pfizerfrank/clavamox_en_co_ois.pdf
It is the patient's prescription information flyer that goes with Clamavox. The document is published by the company that made it.

Any good vet should be able to zip off a couple of photocopies of this document when anybody asks.

At LEAST, they should be able to provide you with a link to it.

About administering with food... It's my guess that the vet thinks that the medicine could upset your cat's stomach and he wants you to give it with food to prevent that.

But when it comes to deciding whether to give the meds when the cat is off his food, I'd say better to give on an empty stomach than not at all. He might be off his food because he's sick. If the pills make him feel better then he starts eating, that's the best outcome, even if it's not by the letter of your vet's instructions.

However, the BEST thing to do is to call your vet in the morning and ask. Your vet is the authority, here. :)
He is on the liquid form of Clavamox. I believe I will try to give it to him anyways. He does have a super sensitive stomach though. He is allergic to the dyes in many cat foods, and can only eat sensitive stomach hard cat food. I would try to contact the vet tomorrow, but they are closed. Also, the one I took him to is not the regular vet, because the regular vet was booked in appointments and refused to have an emergency appointment.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So your vet told you that your cat has a cold, which is a viral infection, and then gave you an anti-bacterial drug, which would do nothing to a virus?

Not being a vet, its hard for me to know whether the vet should get a free pass for this, is an idiot, or something in between. But if a human doctor did this to me I'd get a new doctor.

Edit: I just read that cats can sometimes develop secondary bacterial infections as a result of certain common cat respiratory viruses. So maybe the vet was dumbing things down for you or you were just condensing what they said?

Common Cat Diseases (upper respiratory subsection)

Last edited:

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So your vet told you that your cat has a cold, which is a viral infection, and then gave you an anti-bacterial drug, which would do nothing to a virus?

Not being a vet, its hard for me to know whether the vet should get a free pass for this, is an idiot, or something in between. But if a human doctor did this to me I'd get a new doctor.

Edit: I just read that cats can sometimes develop secondary bacterial infections as a result of certain common cat respiratory viruses. So maybe the vet was dumbing things down for you or you were just condensing what they said?

Common Cat Diseases (upper respiratory subsection)
The vet just told me that he had a head cold. He didn’t have him back there for more than five minutes, and that is all he told me when he brought him out.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet just told me that he had a head cold. He didn’t have him back there for more than five minutes, and that is all he told me when he brought him out.
In that case, at best he was oversimplifying/dumbing down his language, because a cold means a virus not a bacteria. Thats definitely something vets do, especially the ones that want your cat in and out in under 5 minutes, and maybe its an over-reaction on my part, but it would still piss me off if it was my cat. The prescription might be perfectly reasonable, but I'd still call up and demand an explanation that isnt wrong on its face, as this one is.

As far as I can see, the vet either thinks:

(1) he doesn't know if the symptoms are caused by a virus or bacteria, but he can treat bacteria, so why not take a shot?

(2) that your cat might have a bacterial infection secondary to a respiratory virus; or

(3) that your cat actually does have only a bacterial infection and "head cold" is an appropriate phrase to use because us dumb owners don't know the difference between a cold and a virus.

As a cat owner, I'd really like to know which one it is, because it could make a big difference in the cat's recovery.

Last edited:

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In that case, at best he was oversimplifying/dumbing down his language, because a cold means a virus not a bacteria. Thats definitely something vets do, especially the ones that want your cat in and out in under 5 minutes, and maybe its an over-reaction on my part, but it would still piss me off if it was my cat. The prescription might be perfectly reasonable, but I'd still call up and demand an explanation that isnt wrong on its face, as this one is.
To be honest, I do not really like this vet anyways. The only reason I took him there is because it is the only place around here that was willing to have an emergency appointment. The one I really enjoy did not have an open appointment for three weeks, and refused to do an emergency appointment. He is a farm vet, so he focuses on cats and dogs and farm animals. It is extremely obvious that he cares for the farm animals more than cats and dogs. The craziest part is that I have had to take three animals to him. The first was my poor baby Milkshake who recently passed away, my new kitten smoothie, and King. Milkshake had a swollen paw, Smoothie had discharge coming from her eyes, and King was making a sore throat noise. Want to know what they all had in common? They were all prescribed Clavamox. When I saw what medication I had to give King, I was a little surprised that all three of the animals I have taken have been prescribed the same drug. I just want the best for my cat, and was worried about waiting. Since this medication is not the best fit, do you believe he will be okay? The medication did seem to make him feel better earlier. I am worried for his sensitive stomach though because I just had to give it to him without any food.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a really good product on Amazon called 'Nose Relief' for cats. My cats have leukemia and come up with 'head colds' at times, which can be deadly for them. I use this at these times and give DMG every day to keep their immune systems up. it really seems to work.....

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
King still hasn’t got up to eat, or to move to a different area to sleep. I am worried. When I walk into the room, he automatically wakes up, and stays awake while I pet him. However, he does not meow or try to move.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may have to resort to assisted feeding with a syringe, not eating can result in a serious liver issue for cats. Try steaming up the bathroom and sitting with him in the steam, that may open up his nose. A cat will not eat what he can't smell. If you can get his nose opened up he may eat. Giving clavamox for kitty colds is a common practice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is lethargic. You might order some Hartz Lickable treats from amazon or Target(Target still has two-day shipping on orders over 35.00) I get them in the variety pack in the stew, not the bisque. I give this to my cats when they stop eating, sometimes it is the only thing that has kept them alive. Please try it. It is instore at Walmart too in the treat section. It wouldn't hurt to keep some around, I give all my meds in it every day.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may have to resort to assisted feeding with a syringe, not eating can result in a serious liver issue for cats. Try steaming up the bathroom and sitting with him in the steam, that may open up his nose. A cat will not eat what he can't smell. If you can get his nose opened up he may eat. Giving clavamox for kitty colds is a common practice.
I believe I may have to as well. I got him up and walking now, but he just has no desire to eat.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is lethargic. You might order some Hartz Lickable treats from amazon or Target(Target still has two-day shipping on orders over 35.00) I get them in the variety pack in the stew, not the bisque. I give this to my cats when they stop eating, sometimes it is the only thing that has kept them alive. Please try it. It is instore at Walmart too in the treat section. It wouldn't hurt to keep some around, I give all my meds in it every day.
I believe I’ll pick some of that up today. I want him to get eating some it’s been about 11 hours since he last ate.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve came to the consensus that the reason he is not getting up and moving around much is because is legs are very sore from the two shots. It is obvious that his legs are hurting. He is very careful when lifting his leg to scratch his ear. He does trot, but not too fast. I’m not sure how to help his sore legs. He has never done well with pain.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He went and laid back down, and still did not eat. He drank water and used the litter box, but stared at his food and then walked by. It is obvious that I’m going to have to feed him.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate some on his own! He got up himself, and went to his food dish. He only ate a few bites, but that is a start.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is a start! Still get the pouched lickable treats, cats absolutely love them and they have bits of meat in them. They smell good. a cat heat pad would help him with his soreness, my cats use them a lot when they are sick.