Cat Advice ASAP! Head cold?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
King has had a pretty good day besides when the man came to mow the lawn. He went and hid under the bed for that. He still has not ate much today. He actually knocked over his hard cat food bag, and ate some of it. I was surprised he did that. He’s also ate a little bit of lickable treats today. I cooked him a homemade chicken dinner for sensitive stomachs, but he wanted no part of it. His leg is still sore from the two shots. It doesn’t look swelled, but he doesn’t really want it touched. I am making a vet appointment tomorrow with the vet I like, however, he probably won’t get in until mid October. Does anyone know what I could do to help him with his sore leg? He walks on it fine, but he refuses to stretch it, and looks like he sits a little awkwardly. It definitely has improved though.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:
King has had a pretty good day besides when the man came to mow the lawn. He went and hid under the bed for that. He still has not ate much today. He actually knocked over his hard cat food bag, and ate some of it. I was surprised he did that. He’s also ate a little bit of lickable treats today. I cooked him a homemade chicken dinner for sensitive stomachs, but he wanted no part of it. His leg is still sore from the two shots. It doesn’t look swelled, but he doesn’t really want it touched. I am making a vet appointment tomorrow with the vet I like, however, he probably won’t get in until mid October. Does anyone know what I could do to help him with his sore leg? He walks on it fine, but he refuses to stretch it, and looks like he sits a little awkwardly. It definitely has improved though.
Has he been eating any wet foods?
Bisque lickable treats
They even make a soft pate
Also try some freeze dried chicken- Purebites, some cats go crazy for it!) and sprinkle it on the canned food or hard food
Temptation treats while not the healthiest, you can crush 2,3 of those and sprinkle it to, it can kick start eating because they smell the treat.
You can order them on amazon...

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my cat was taking clavamox for an infected paw, he didnt eat well either, it can make their stomach hurt

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since he's having so many issues with eating and litter box, ask the vet for a different antibiotic. My vet doesn't prescribe Clavamox because there's so many different side effects. One of my girls has the opposite problem, after about 4 doses, she starts throwing up and has diarrhea.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since he's having so many issues with eating and litter box, ask the vet for a different antibiotic. My vet doesn't prescribe Clavamox because there's so many different side effects. One of my girls has the opposite problem, after about 4 doses, she starts throwing up and has diarrhea.
The only wet food he will eat is the lickable treat. I have tried so many different kinds of wet food, and I’ll continue trying more. I don’t know which kind he will eat though.The antibiotic seemed to have made him better, but I do need some advice. I was looking on the actual Clavamox website, and they said to quit the Clavamox 49 hours after all symptoms have disappeared. Should I quit the medicine on Saturday? It seems like it may be hurting him more now than helping him.

As for calling that vet to get a different medicine, he will most likely refuse. Clavamox seems to be his go to antibiotic. I’m thinking that King needs to be seen by a different vet pretty soon. There is a problem with that though. The vet I like, I’m almost positive we will not be seen until mid October with them. They are so caring with animals, and do everything they can to help them. They refuse to have emergency appointments now though (I’m guessing because of coronavirus), and stay booked up for 2-3 weeks in advance. There is another vet I can take him to, but they are crazy expensive and don’t care that much about the animals. That is where King went to get fixed, and when he came home, they had let him poop in his carrier and it was all over his side. I don’t really want to take him back there. Besides those two places, I have the popular farm vet I took him to in the first place. However, this man is set in his ways and would definitely look more at farm animals than a cat and dog any day. His services are cheap and he is pretty good at his job sometimes, but he is not really helpful at follow up visits. Those three places are the closest to me. I believe I am going to go ahead and make an appointment at the place I like, and if King takes a turn for the worse, I will take him somewhere else but keep my appointment.

This morning, I was super happy because he was acting like his old self. However, gradually throughout the day, he started to act sluggish again. Right now, he is laying in my lap. I will probably get ready to feed him some more lickable treat. I really don’t know what else to do for my baby.

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would mix some lysine for cats in his food as he may have feline herpes virus, which is essentially a kitty cold. Many cats get this and lysine is super helpful for this condition. You can get online thru Chewy.com. Even if that's not his illness it won't hurt him. It is undetectable in their food.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I feel like I should thank everyone that has commented on this thread. You have no idea how helpful you all have been and continue to be. It really is appreciated.

I’m going to get off topic here, and be a little personal. No one has to reply to this comment, but I just need to write this down somewhere.

This past month has been incredibly difficult for me. The tragic loss of my outside cat was almost unbearable. I have never ever felt a pain like that. It felt like my world came tumbling down right on top of me. It many ways, it has completely changed my life.

Since his passing, I have not went a day without being under stress. Everyday I am nervous about something. Not only has my mental health been affected, my physical health has been too. I am barely getting any sleep. I am hardly eating. My muscles feel constantly locked up and tense. I get headaches and terrible chest pains from the stress. The other day I picked up King, and a stabbing pain rushed to my heart. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I have lost weight, and developed irritable bowel syndrome. Now if I get uneasy at all, I have to run to the bathroom. Also, the lymph nodes on my neck are swelled, and my back is constantly aching. I can no longer sit all the way straight.

I have became paranoid about losing anybody else that I love. I am constantly checking on King, Smoothie, and Skittish to make sure they are all still alive. When I leave the house, I worry for King, and hope that he stays okay while I am gone. When I come home, I immediately go check on him. I am afraid every time my fiancé goes to work because I’m worried something bad will happen to him. My fiancé is my rock and the one I lean on most. I become afraid when my fiancé, mom, or dad don’t answer their phone when I text or call because I’m afraid something bad has happened. The fear of losing my fiancé, mom, and dad almost paralyzes me in fear. Before Milkshake passed away, I was already struggling with this same problem. To put this fear in perspective, one night my fiancé went on a motorcycle ride with one of his friends at night. I was worried, and kept doing the Find my iPhone so I could track his location. While on the ride, his phone died. This sent me into a full blown panic attack. I could not breathe. I felt absolutely awful. I was about to get into the car to drive and find him. This lasted for about 30 minutes. This problem has now grown even larger. I am not sure how to stop this.

I was going to college to become an RN, but now I believe I can’t even do that career path. I am currently on a break from college which is something I would have never seen myself doing. I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Some days, I feel like I am being consumed by my fears.

Yesterday, I had a thought that really scared me. I am so worried about everyone else, that I’m not even looking in the mirror and seeing what’s happening to me. I am bringing on some serious health conditions for myself. My fiancé and family told me that they are worried for me, and now I am worried for me too. The thing is, I don’t know how to quit worrying.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I feel like I should thank everyone that has commented on this thread. You have no idea how helpful you all have been and continue to be. It really is appreciated.

I’m going to get off topic here, and be a little personal. No one has to reply to this comment, but I just need to write this down somewhere.

This past month has been incredibly difficult for me. The tragic loss of my outside cat was almost unbearable. I have never ever felt a pain like that. It felt like my world came tumbling down right on top of me. It many ways, it has completely changed my life.

Since his passing, I have not went a day without being under stress. Everyday I am nervous about something. Not only has my mental health been affected, my physical health has been too. I am barely getting any sleep. I am hardly eating. My muscles feel constantly locked up and tense. I get headaches and terrible chest pains from the stress. The other day I picked up King, and a stabbing pain rushed to my heart. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I have lost weight, and developed irritable bowel syndrome. Now if I get uneasy at all, I have to run to the bathroom. Also, the lymph nodes on my neck are swelled, and my back is constantly aching. I can no longer sit all the way straight.

I have became paranoid about losing anybody else that I love. I am constantly checking on King, Smoothie, and Skittish to make sure they are all still alive. When I leave the house, I worry for King, and hope that he stays okay while I am gone. When I come home, I immediately go check on him. I am afraid every time my fiancé goes to work because I’m worried something bad will happen to him. My fiancé is my rock and the one I lean on most. I become afraid when my fiancé, mom, or dad don’t answer their phone when I text or call because I’m afraid something bad has happened. The fear of losing my fiancé, mom, and dad almost paralyzes me in fear. Before Milkshake passed away, I was already struggling with this same problem. To put this fear in perspective, one night my fiancé went on a motorcycle ride with one of his friends at night. I was worried, and kept doing the Find my iPhone so I could track his location. While on the ride, his phone died. This sent me into a full blown panic attack. I could not breathe. I felt absolutely awful. I was about to get into the car to drive and find him. This lasted for about 30 minutes. This problem has now grown even larger. I am not sure how to stop this.

I was going to college to become an RN, but now I believe I can’t even do that career path. I am currently on a break from college which is something I would have never seen myself doing. I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Some days, I feel like I am being consumed by my fears.

Yesterday, I had a thought that really scared me. I am so worried about everyone else, that I’m not even looking in the mirror and seeing what’s happening to me. I am bringing on some serious health conditions for myself. My fiancé and family told me that they are worried for me, and now I am worried for me too. The thing is, I don’t know how to quit worrying.
Find somebody in your area to talk to. Psychiatrist, clergy, really good friend. Anyone. You won't do King or the other cats any good if you yourself are not well. You owe it to them to be a little selfish and focus on yourself to make you better. :hugs:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very possible that King is picking up on your stress and that could be contributing to your kitty's issues. I would encourage you to find a counselor to talk to, just so you can be in a better place for King. You could even post in the Crossing the Bridge forum regarding the outside kitty that you lost. That might be healing as well. I would highly suggest seeing a different vet, especially if this vet isn't listening to you regarding King's reaction to the meds. Also, look into the side effects of Convenia just in case the vet suggests that as an alternate.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
King has really been acting like himself here lately. He’s even been running around at night, and playing more. I did take him to the vet today though so he could have another check up. This time he went to the vet I wanted in the first place. He had a pretty rough time because he did not want to be there. They had to end up putting him in a straight jacket to be able to get him to cooperate.

Today, he had a fever of 104.5. He was very worked up though, and the vet said it could’ve been from that. The vet attempted to look in his mouth since he was having a little trouble eating last week. One of the vets said that he thought he could see a Lima bean sized lump in the back of his mouth. The other vet never got to see it because King was moving around too much. So they’re not really sure what it could be, if it’s really there, or if it was just King’s tongue curled up in the back. They gave him three shots. One was an antibiotic, one was a steroid, and one was Vitamin B. He also was given a topical dewormer.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, look into the side effects of Convenia just in case the vet suggests that as an alternate.
I just now seen this. He was given this shot today at the vet to try and help him. Is this vaccination bad?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, Convenia is not a "vaccination", it is, as you said in the previous post, an antibiotic.

Now, please post the name of the 2nd shot you say he received, the "steroid".

I'm asking that because Convenia should not be given with certain steroids. I've edited this out because I no longer have my original bookmarked link for the reference. In fact, the information I'm now seeing from the manufacturer, makes no mention of this.

Presumably, then, there is no concern with combining these two medications.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he has a mouth ulcer, which can happen if a kitty is stressed. I would look into calming agents for him. Also, before you take him to the vet again, ask the vet for a sedative so he's not so rowdy and can be examined.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:
King is now back to having problems eating. Before I took him to the vet this second time, I switched his food about a week before. King started eating just fine, and was making way more trips to the food dish.

Today, he has only ate a few times, and he is back acting like he wants food, but won’t eat it. I have no clue what is going on. I feel like ripping my hair out.

He was eating just fine before we went to the vet, and directly after we came back.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is back seeming like King’s throat is hurting him. He is not like himself today.