Cat Adoption Stories Contest! Prizes for You AND Your Favorite Shelter!

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The story of my Katness goes something like this. I have always preferred cats as a child my mother liked to keep her own colony of indoor / outdoor cats at around 20 cats and kittens. We lived out of city limits on 8 acres of badlands NM. The coyotes would come in some winter nights our 3 large chow dogs would be crying on the back porch in terror. Our cats had a huge shop to hide in, under the large front porch and house but nothing else. The winters in NM are mild compared to other places but by spring we'd be down to a couple of cats. So off we'd go to the humane society to pick up a litter for some new blood mom would say. Our cats were not inbred LOL!
When I met my husband for years we didn't have any pets. After my begging and pleading he let me get our daughter a guinea pig . We had the perfect spot for a litter box in our house but at that time he didn't want a cat. We purchased a fish tank instead. Mr. Crabs tried his best to be entertaining but eventually climbed out of the tank and dried up in my winter shoes.
I've found my husband does like animals but he likes to be the one to find them. Katness was extremely lucky that he found her under a shop building at his work he heard her meowing. After 13 years of wanting a cat my husband brought her home to me. I was in shock I put her in my feral cat room outside cause I thought he was joking about keeping her in the house. When he wanted to show the kids I reminded him that he didn't want a cat. He insisted and my oldest daughter wanted to keep her in her room. She is a beautiful cat and very smart. She fetches and jumps up for treats.:rbheart:View media item 277888Here are pics of her as a kitten with my oldest daughter she is 3 yrs old now!View media item 277890

animalhelper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
great stories I have 6 cats all saved from a harsh life on the streets.My latest I call pirate as she has a old injury that dosen't allow her to bend her back leg found her on a rainy night with 3 newborn kittens in a pile of trash

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After losing Sami (19 years old) and then Buddy at just over 2 years old, we decided Parker was in need of a few friend. We stopped by the local SPCA and fell in love with a sweet little tabby. We went back a few days later to get her but she'd already been adopted out. I was pretty bummed.

Not too long after, I stopped at a pet store to get a new scratch post that was on sale and thought I'd take a look in the adoption room. Sitting by the door (pictured below) was a tiny black cat with a few stray white patches on her back. "Speckles", her name was.

View media item 277958
I asked if I could go in and see her and the other 3 cats. All the others seemed completely uninterested in me, but when I bent down to pat one, "Speckles" jumped on my back, laid down and started purring. The sales rep helping me out said she was really friendly but she hadn't seen her do that for anyone. So that was in. I left the pet store, went to the SPCA, filled out the paper work, paid the adoption fee, took a box back to the pet store and went home with "Speckles". She made herself at home instantly.

We changed her name to Juno. While her sweet side isn't as apparent as it was that day, she still is adorably bad. Oh, I should add that she gets along perfectly with Parker. He was happy to have a new snuggle buddy. :)

View media item 277959View media item 277960 

She also loves car rides...

View media item 277963
...and grass!

View media item 277964

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll tell you about Mr. Grimsby, who was euthanized on March 20th, although all our cats are rescues - including Albert whom we brought home yesterday.

We rented a condo from a landlady who had a no pets rule, although she had two cats and a dog. One Christmas eve, we had her daughter, who also had two cats, over for dinner. We were waxing lyrical about how the cat we had twenty years ago trained her kittens to climb the stairs by going up four steps, laying down to expose her teats, then moving up four more stairs once the kittens reached her. The daughter went home and told her mom that we should be allowed to adopt a cat. The mom agreed, and the hunt was on.

There were, literally, hundreds of cats at this no-kill shelter. We'd just about decided on a young, playful male, when I turned to look back into the room. There, on the counter grooming himself and ignoring all the others, was a beautiful gray cat that looked sort of like a Siamese. It was love at first sight! They called him Grimace, because he hated the other cats. The shelter owner told us that all his Christmases had come at once - little did she know how prophetic those words were!

We immediately decided that Grimace didn't suit him, so on the way home we changed his name to Mr. Grimsby. People think it's an odd name for a cat, but it suited him perfectly. He was such a gentlemanly cat. He never bit or scratched anyone (except my husband, who plays rough with cats and gets what he deserves), never knocked things over or broke anything, and never walked on people even when they were in his way. Although he would complain loudly, he never bit or scratched anyone at the vet's office either.

It took two rounds of antibiotics to knock out the conjunctivitis he brought home with him. Of course, most of the other cats in the shelter were also sick, so when the SPCA raided them a couple of months later, the shelter was shut down and all the sick cats were euthanized. Mr. Grimsby was so very lucky!

There are so many wonderful things I remember about Mr. G, like how he would try to herd me into the kitchen when he thought it was dinner time. Or how he would scamper down the hall with his little tail raised high above his head in greeting when I came home from work. I liked the way he'd cuddle against me at night.  But, he was always careful not to wake me when he got up. So many times I'd wake up in an awkward position thinking that I was holding onto him, when I was actually holding onto thin air. He refused to sit on my lap, but would sit beside me on the sofa or the recliner - which required some serious contortions on my part. As much as my body doesn't miss the pain of accommodating Mr. G, I still miss having him next to me.

We have Bertha and Albert now, but Mr. G will always have a special place in my heart. He was one in a million and I'm so very glad I had the opportunity to share his life
RIP my beautiful little boy.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love all the stories!  I realize this is off topic but I have to ask why eveyone goes to the no kill shelters first?  I  fostered Fluffy from a high kill shelter and later adopted her.  She is such a sweet kitten and I keep thinking she might not be here today if someone hadn't seen she was running out of time and looked for a foster home for her.  I think people should check out the high kill shelters first.

lookingforluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had been looking into adopting an older cat for a few months, going shelter to shelter, rescue group to rescue group looking for one I know would be a good addition to the family. Before another shelter visit, I get see a status on facebook from a friend who had found an orphaned 3 week old kitten. I of course jumped up and took her in immediately. Apparently there had been one other kitten in the litter, since the mother was an older cat, but got rejected earlier and never seen again. On the Sunday, they found the mother and kitten, but the mother had been deceased since presumably Saturday, and on Monday they made the post. We found a halfway point from both of our locations (we live about an hour away) and little Luna was handed over to me. With many sleepless nights, vet visits, and some TLC, Luna is now 4 weeks old, healthy, playful, and happy. It feels like fate how I got her. I had always wanted to adopt in a way that would save a life and now I literally had. I never knew why I was so iffy to settle an adoption previously, but now it's clear; so I had the room for this little orphan to take care of. She's quite a handful and responsibility but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

lookingforluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with that too! I think a big thing is that some people may be unaware of close by high-kill shelters. I do wish that those are everybody's first choices though. 

nericat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all you there. I am really happy to be here with you sharing my cat-story.

It was 2 weeks ago when during walking in the street suddenly i saw a really small kitten. I waited about an hour offering some milk to see if her mother was there. Nothing happend i took the decicion to adopt that small kitten. So here we are now 2 weeks after with my beautifull neri(was the name of the street that i have found her). I was so happy that i made a youtube channel special for my lovely little cat!! Here are some videos hope you enjoy them all!!!

Here is my fisrt time fell asleep at my new home!

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love all the stories!  I realize this is off topic but I have to ask why eveyone goes to the no kill shelters first?  I  fostered Fluffy from a high kill shelter and later adopted her.  She is such a sweet kitten and I keep thinking she might not be here today if someone hadn't seen she was running out of time and looked for a foster home for her.  I think people should check out the high kill shelters first.
The problem with this is that there are some, small, city shelters trying to be no-kill. Because they ARE a city shelter though, they cannot be restricted intake and still only have so much space. So, while they network with rescues, work with animals behaviorally, try to keep the euthanasia rate low (because yes, "no-kill" shelters still have to euthanize some times), if everyone goes to them last, because "they are no-kill" and "those animals have time" then they are faced with deciding who lives and who doesn't still....and the animals don't have time, they don't get a chance.

Also, those "no-kill" shelters that aren't city shelters, and have closed intake policies to prevent having to euthanize for space, can't take any more in if they don't do adoptions. If they can't take them in, where are they going....?

So while it seems like it is an easy, obvious, choice to go to "kill-shelters " first, it's really not so simple! I think more importantly, the message that needs spread still, is spay/neuter/adopt. :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm happy to see that the contest has raised awareness and that we have an interesting discussion going on. Feel free to continue discussing, I'm just here to say that the submissions phase is now closed. I will run the draw soon and announce the winner!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you everyone for submitting such wonderful stories! I am so glad this contest was won by a draw as it would have been impossible to actually choose just one.

Congratulations @Raksha  

I'd like to thank our sponsor   Imperial Cat  for providing these awesome prizes and for thinking about the shelter cats!

@Raksha  I will contact you shortly to know where to send that awesome cat bed and see which shelter or rescue you'd like to donate the scratchers to.

For those of you eager to participate in another TCS contest, Cat Picture of the Month was just launched today! 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/299641/picture-of-the-month-attentive-cats

Last edited:

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@Anne  , @Columbine, and everyone else, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! This brought tears to my eyes- I've never won anything until now! Binx will be so happy with the bed, and the agency will be happy with the scratchers 

I am truly surprised, but very grateful, given that there were so very many wonderful rescue/adoption stories submitted... from the bottom of my (and Binx's) heart:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with this is that there are some, small, city shelters trying to be no-kill. Because they ARE a city shelter though, they cannot be restricted intake and still only have so much space. So, while they network with rescues, work with animals behaviorally, try to keep the euthanasia rate low (because yes, "no-kill" shelters still have to euthanize some times), if everyone goes to them last, because "they are no-kill" and "those animals have time" then they are faced with deciding who lives and who doesn't still....and the animals don't have time, they don't get a chance.

Also, those "no-kill" shelters that aren't city shelters, and have closed intake policies to prevent having to euthanize for space, can't take any more in if they don't do adoptions. If they can't take them in, where are they going....?

So while it seems like it is an easy, obvious, choice to go to "kill-shelters " first, it's really not so simple! I think more importantly, the message that needs spread still, is spay/neuter/adopt.
That does make sense.  i hadn't thought it through.  I agree you re; s/n/a a feral in my area recently gave birth to 3 kittens and is in heat again.  The neighbors in the area have tried to trap her w/o success.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So while it seems like it is an easy, obvious, choice to go to "kill-shelters " first, it's really not so simple! I think more importantly, the message that needs spread still, is spay/neuter/adopt.
The no kill shelter where I volunteer rescues cats and dogs from high kill shelters when room frees up for them in their facility. So if you adopt from them, you are in essence saving animals in the kill shelters.

When an animal is accepted into their program, it's for life.  They have some who for one reason or another turn out to be not adoptable, and they live at the shelter.

Also, people could consider adopting older or imperfect kitties who are often overlooked in favor of the cute kittens.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Anne  , @Columbine, and everyone else, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! This brought tears to my eyes- I've never won anything until now! Binx will be so happy with the bed, and the agency will be happy with the scratchers 

I am truly surprised, but very grateful, given that there were so very many wonderful rescue/adoption stories submitted... from the bottom of my (and Binx's) heart:

Congratulations Raksha!  Your Binx is just adorable!!