Cat Adoption Regret :(

shitcats<3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I adopted Sesame about a week ago. She’s a great cat, she likes cuddling sometimes. She’s very unproblematic.

Before Sesame, I had my eyes on another cat— named Kiki. She was the perfect cat for me. Two hours before I went to adopt her, the shelter denied me of adopting her because she had an eye infection they thought was getting better. Unfortunately, it wasn’t, and she had to have new antibiotics which the volunteers and even the vets had trouble giving her daily. Since I had never had a pet before, they told me I couldn’t adopt her because I had no experience and it would be hard for me to put in the medication.

I was heartbroken, i really thought she was the perfect cat. Sesame was still available, though. My impatience was growing, and that same day I decided to just adopt Sesame.

Listen, she’s really not a bad cat— but sometimes I wonder, what if Kiki was a better option? I feel so bad about feeling this way, but it’s been eating me up. It’s even worse that she’s still up for adoption, and I don’t know if her eye infection got better. I also can’t bring her home along with Sesame because she hates other cat’s and I am in a situation where I am not able to.

I feel terrible about this. I love Sesame, I really do, but the regret from Kiki is eating me. Any tips? Have you had an experience like this?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much did you really know Kiki and Sesame as a person? I dont think a shelter environment and visits is sufficient to know who's just right for you.
I also believe there is no person or pet that's a perfect match. Those things happen within the relationship you build, over time.
And when you have a cat like I did, adopting to protect from the streets, without knowing what's in store for you, you appreciate better how you develop the relationship. If you already like sesame, as you spend more time together, she will be the one you can't think living without.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called ASPCA to inquire about one cat who I was really into based on their website description, but they said he had just been adopted by someone else and asked if there were any other cats I was interested in. I said ok sure yes, there was 1 other cat, Susan, and the rest is history! I was disappointed that my "first choice" wasn't available, but I love Susan tons and am grateful for her company!

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if they have to medicate Kiki forcefully she will likely act slightly traumatized and might not be an ideal cat for a first timer ... cats take a long time to get over such stress and it is possible that Kiki would hide from humans or be hand shy for a while ... which is likely the reason she is not adopted yet .. Sesame might be your perfect cat :-) - like others said ... cats build very strong relationships but they grow over time ... if your new cat is already sweet with you now ... imagine how much Sesame will be in a year from now! Most shelter cats take time to warm up ... we are talking hiding under beds for weeks here ... not cuddling ... Some cats develop a chronic eye infection and cats hate eye drops .. these cats are better off with very experienced cat people who are ok with a cat that might avoid them after the eye drops ... I think you might not realize it but Sesame sounds like the perfect cat to me ... and from experience and one that used to write descriptions for cats for shelter websites ....these description are rarely accurate ...the goal is to find adopters ... so positives are emphasized and negatives not usually advertised ... most shelter staff knows little about their cats simply because they have so many and because most cats are stressed in a shelter environment ... I think you might be in love with the idea/ description of KIKI more than how she actually is :-)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do agree that the shelter might have had concerns about Kiki and the difficulty of giving her meds. Even experienced cat owners fight this problem and there are myriad posts on The Cat Site in which members beg for ideas about how to give a cat meds, insert eye drops, manage ears, etc. Some of these people are decades long multiple cat owners. A cat who is truly ready to fight you on meds can be an issue. Picture yourself alone with Kiki and now she refused to allow you to handle her, hides, even becomes aggressive about the drops. Vets know how to administer meds, and so do shelter volunteers and vet techs. If they were having issues, this may have been the tip of the iceberg about problems with Kiki.