Cat acts weird when scratched on the back

Zikta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently discovered a "special spot" on one of my cats and I can't tell if it's a good or a bad thing...

So the cat's name is Plomba and he's about 4-5 years old. When stroked in a particular spot on his back, Plomba starts uncontrollably twisting and turning his head, and licking whatever's within reach (video attached; note that he starts right when I start scratching him and stops the moment I stop).

I've tried out this spot on the other eight of my cats, but none of them responded in such a peculiar way. What could this mean? Should I be worried? Could this be a sign of some medical condition? Or is it just a weird quirk and nothing to lose sleep over?

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if there's a scientific name for it, but I've known several cats with the same quirk. It's totally normal, very much a feline thing :petcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, well, the SPOT is a bit unusual, but all cats have one...generally it is at the base of the spine, where the tail joins the body. However, for what it is worth, I have very much the same reaction when someone scratches my back between the shoulder blades!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he loves it and the licking is an emotional reaction. Some cats would get so wound up they would bite, but your guy licks and that is just fine.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anywhere along the spine is a "hot spot" for a cat, especially the base of the tail and the nape of the neck.

The back of the neck is where a mother cat will bite in order to pick up her kittens. Picking up a kitten in this way triggers a reflex similar to the Babinsky Reflex in humans. As a kitten grows up, that reflex disappears but the spot is still sensitive.

Also, when a male cat mates with a female, he will bear down on her back end, right above the base of the tail and he might also bite her at the nape of the neck. These actions will stimulate the female to assume a mating posture.

Even if your cat is male, he will still have these special hot spots and, when you touch a cat on those places, it might seem to make the cat go crazy.

How would YOU react if somebody came along and rubbed you on your tail bone? ;) ;) ;)

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats (and dogs) also do that licking when you're scratching a good itch for them, maybe a spot he can't easily reach himself. Either way, seems like it just feels so good he can't contain himself!