Cat acting weird, mouth hanging open

maryvalleygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been acting strange since yesterday morning. He was laying around like usual but making these funny noises, kinda like 1/2 meow, 1/2 yawn. He didn't eat yesterday and I haven't witnessed him drinking anything either. He's normally a very friendly cat but he would not come when called last night and I couldn't find him anywhere. (he is an indoor cat.)

Today he finally appeared and this time I actually saw him make that funny noise. It sounded the same but he almost looks like he has something stuck in his throat. Also, his mouth is slightly open, not something I've seen before.

He doesn't appear to be in any distress, but he's just not himself. And I'm somewhat concerned about him not eating though he could stand to lose a pound or two.. (or ten!)

If anyone has any thoughts about this I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By your description, he does sound distressed. Cats often hide when ill and should never breath with their mouths half open. I suggest getting him to the vet ASAP or to an ER vet if your vet isn't open.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat not eating is a sure sign of a problem. Please get him to a vet ASAP.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

By your description, he does sound distressed. Cats often hide when ill and should never breath with their mouths half open. I suggest getting him to the vet ASAP or to an ER vet if your vet isn't open.
He obviously isn't able to breathe properly, and requires immediate vet care.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

He obviously isn't able to breathe properly, and requires immediate vet care.
Actually, it doesn't necessarily mean a breathing problem. Cats will hang their mouths open when in extreme pain, nausea, or even when very distressed.
There's just too many possibilities to make any suggestions to the OP as to what it could be.

I hope they're on the way to a vet now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by maryvalleygirl

he's just not himself. And I'm somewhat concerned about him not eating though he could stand to lose a pound or two.. (or ten!)

If anyone has any thoughts about this I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!
I agree with the others. This is an ASAP vet errand.

One additional point: Just because it would be good for him to go down some pound or ten - not eating is no good!. Starving is extra dangerous for overweigh cats, their liver may be hurt by starvation.

Good luck!

One observation more. My first though about "open mouth". It happens now and then the jaws gots offs their hinges, when they are yawning so widely as they do. It can btw happen with humans too.... It is NOT common, but it certainly can happen. Vet errand of course.
I dont think this is the case here, but I want it to be mentioned.

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something is definitely wrong - I hope you can get your cat to a vet ASAP, and I hope whatever it is can be diagnosed and treated immediately.

Please let us know how it goes.

Holding good thoughts and prayers that he's going to be ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryvalleygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It turns out he has an abcessed tooth. He's getting it taken care of tomorrow and will be on antibiotics for 10 days. I'm nervous but glad it's not something worse!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was pain, then. Poor kitty.
I hope the antibiotics work. You make sure you check inside his mouth every single day and if his behavior is even slightly off, get him to the vet ASAP. An infection there, if not healing and antibiotics working, can be deadly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryvalleygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't quite catch the name of the syndrome or problem that my cat had, something about absorption. He ended up having the one tooth pulled and then 3 others had the crown removed as the root was already absorbed (or something like that!)

If anyone knows the name of this can you let me know, I would like to do some internet research about it.

Thanks!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maryvalleygirl

I didn't quite catch the name of the syndrome or problem that my cat had, something about absorption. He ended up having the one tooth pulled and then 3 others had the crown removed as the root was already absorbed (or something like that!)

If anyone knows the name of this can you let me know, I would like to do some internet research about it.

Thanks!
Resorptive Lesion?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, the poor kitty. FORL, Feline Odontoclastic Resorptive lesions, also called resorptive lesions or neck lesions are very very painful

My Tolly is prone to FORL, he has very few teeth left.

Good job getting him in to the vet as soon as you noticed something was wrong. I just realized he had the surgery today already. I hope your vet gave him something for pain?

Welcome to TCS and please keep us updated.