Cat Acting Weird..house Guest To Blame?

rionagordon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I had a house guest stay over night last night and today, my cat started acting weird. She was hiding in places she NEVER even goes-behind the toilet, in the TUB, and even in the kitchen. Mind you, she NEVER steps foot in the kitchen and only goes in the bathroom when i’m sitting on the toilet. I even caught her trying to hide in the small space between the fridge and the wall but she is HUGE so obviously that was a no go lol. But anyway, I checked for all the outward signs on sickness ( her gums weren’t too pale or too bright and she ate the treats I provided for her if that matters). She seemed to be in a lot of stress, but she is never this way when I have guests over. What I think, and let me know if i’m completely crazy here, but I think she felt negative energy off of the guest I had. I asked my guest if he did anything to my cat when I wasnt looking but he said he didn’t. I’m just convinced that she didn’t feel comfortable around him which is what it seemed like. Is this an instance you’ve heard before of strange cat behavior due to the “negative” energy of someone’s presence or is there maybe something wrong with my cat’s health?

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your guest gone and she's still acting weird? If so, then I would definitely look to her health. But if the guest is still there, that's likely all it is. Maybe the guest has a dog or there's some smell on the guest that the cat associates negatively with.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a lot of things about your guest that she found scary but my top guess would be something about his scent. Perhaps he was near another cat or dog, or smelled like tobacco or even had a soap or cologne that she didn’t like.

In any case, just let her hide and ignore the behavior. If the guest visits again make sure she has some good hiding places and let her hide until they leave.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Just a quick question, huge as in fat? Can you get her to exercise more, and gently over time decrease the dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rionagordon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Just a quick question, huge as in fat? Can you get her to exercise more, and gently over time decrease the dry food?
Hi! yes she is a fat cat. She doesn’t like to play with toys or exercise unfortunately, and I feed her a small portion size of dry food a couple of times a day. I don’t feed my cats wet food because I know you have to feed them multiple cans a day and im at work all day and don’t want to overstuff then when I get home.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! yes she is a fat cat. She doesn’t like to play with toys or exercise unfortunately, and I feed her a small portion size of dry food a couple of times a day. I don’t feed my cats wet food because I know you have to feed them multiple cans a day and im at work all day and don’t want to overstuff then when I get home.
Within the last year I switched my chubby Willow from all dry to dry food in the morning and a half of a 3 oz can of wet food in the evening. While I hoped it would help with weight loss it didn’t but she had an amazing change in her coat from dry and dandruff to silky smooth. So obviously the higher protein in wet food was good for her. Maybe try one meal a day for your cats and see if it helps?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby is less inclined to be interested in guests in our home than she was years ago. And, this year when my MIL came for a week, Feeby didn't act particularly bothered by her, but typically chose only to be in the same room with her if my husband and/or I were there as well. My MIL didn't actually ignore Feeby, but she really didn't seek out any interaction with her either.

In the past, Feeby would snoop around the guest bedroom and bathroom - mostly when a guest was not present in those areas - but, this time Feeby wouldn't go near those rooms until many days after my MIL had gone home.

And, just within a day or two after my MIL left, Feeby threw up her first hairball in years and years and years. That was over a month ago, and not another hairball since. So, I have come to the conclusion that Feeby consoled herself while my MIL was here by over-grooming. There was just something that wasn't quite right with Feeby about my MIL!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Feeby is less inclined to be interested in guests in our home than she was years ago. And, this year when my MIL came for a week, Feeby didn't act particularly bothered by her, but typically chose only to be in the same room with her if my husband and/or I were there as well. My MIL didn't actually ignore Feeby, but she really didn't seek out any interaction with her either.

In the past, Feeby would snoop around the guest bedroom and bathroom - mostly when a guest was not present in those areas - but, this time Feeby wouldn't go near those rooms until many days after my MIL had gone home.

And, just within a day or two after my MIL left, Feeby threw up her first hairball in years and years and years. That was over a month ago, and not another hairball since. So, I have come to the conclusion that Feeby consoled herself while my MIL was here by over-grooming. There was just something that wasn't quite right with Feeby about my MIL!

Yes, I think it is that as our cats age the more they get stuck in their routine and things being the same. So anything or anyone that disrupts that becomes an irritation, even if they tolerated it while they were young.